Strange Days - The Doors 2nd album, 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lovemygirl, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Sounds expensive, I'm cheap... :p

rnranimal likes this.
  2. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident Thread Starter

...:magoo: whats wrong? Hey, what's right?

3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

We keep forgetting about Doors years. It's kinda like dog years, but isn't linear. 1999 was 30 Doors years ago. Just like when they said the complete Matrix would be released soon, back around 2010. "Soon" is about 9 or 10 of our Earth years.

4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm wondering what the special treat was that you referenced since the set was announced as having only the two album mixes.

lovemygirl likes this.
  5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Just listening to the RSD-mono of "Strange Days", which sounds good and Im happy with it.
    I think that Im gonna pass on this release as I did with the debut-albums 50th anniversary,
    no really need to buy yet again another edition of the alhum if you already have good sounding editions and pressings (on lp and cd) if you have the goods contained or especially if the package is lacking somehow.
    Outtakes and ratiries etc stuff would have made me get the debuts anniversary, but no they didn't deliver the goods.
    These should be definitive versions, but maybe they will save next rare things for 60th or 70th anniversary, who knows?
    For example, where was the other full take of The End, which has been talked and mentioned many years ago?
    I think that they will most likely release full Matrix-shows somewhere down the line (next year?)
    Maybe they will still surprise us...you never really know, especially with The Doors.
    Just by reading comments and looking all the info provided on various sites, these could and should have been so much better releases, maybe there is some really good reasons for leaving material out (quality? or milking couple times more?) or maybe The Doors will someday have their own digital vault or service that isn't dependent on physical-formats.
    That could actually open the possibilities to release much wider catalogue and therefore they wouldn't have to worry about the sales and covering all the expenses.
    The Doors and these albums deserve great releases.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The debut stereo from the 50th box set is currently available separately .

https://www.amazon.com/Doors-Remast...UTF8&qid=1506362434&sr=8-4&keywords=the+doors

Is what you wrote an explanation as to why that remaster has gotten sub-par sound quality reviews . ??

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It's obvious they are choosy about putting out unreleased stuff because they want to milk these releases as much as possible.

8. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Hmmmmmm I wonder what they’ll b!tch about on this release? Oh wait, never mind. Carry on.

lovemygirl likes this.
  9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm upset it doesn't have the 2nd Fog reel.

10. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Link?

11. pid1

pid1 New Member

What I wonder is we are now looking at the 50th anniversary issue of Strange days with the mono version available for the first time on cd.... How many Doors fans have had to die before we can get this?

12. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

So how long will this 2-CD 50th release be available? The LA-Woman 40th 2-CD is still available from Amazon for $10.97. (2012)

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Where are the uncirculated 1966/1967 studio outtakes that we know exist, and what's the point of sitting on them?

50th year of the Doors will come and go without a single note of music previously unavailable to serious fans.

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

16. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

The price is less than many single disc releases, so I'm OK with 2 cds.

lovemygirl likes this.
  17. Sidewinder43

$32 plus shipping from CDJapan.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I should buy it, I only have the 40th anniversary remixes anyway.

lovemygirl likes this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I did acquire it. I am happy with it, do not notice any noticeable or glaring sound concerns (please note, I am not as picky as others when it comes to sound). Nice to have a SHM of the original mix, plus the mono mix on CD (it is an improvement over the download that was offered a few years back).

lovemygirl and John Fell like this.
  20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Which is too much, I am more in the market for a $15 2-CD (or even better a $10 stand alone mono CD). Besides you can get the regular box with the LP for not much more than that, so wouldn't make much sense.

21. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Just bought the 3-CD of the s/t 50th from Import CD's for $35-ish shipped.

22. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Well, i only have one simply question:

What a release need to be deluxe?

obviously a 2 CD Stereo / Mono CD doesn't make a Deluxe set

Six Bachelors likes this.
  23. Sidewinder43

I didn't want the vinyl, so this was an option that worked for me.

24. Sidewinder43

That's great. Congratulations. Mine cost about the same because I purchased several other titles, and the shipping cost per title worked out to approx. $3/disc. Would have been easier to buy from Import CD.

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Amazon has this 2cd set listed as an Expanded Edition.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VGX1DV?tag=mfconvert-20

perhaps the marketing release on the doors site is in error calling this a deluxe edition.

Kat Records likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.