Strange Days - The Doors 2nd album, 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lovemygirl, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yep. Still not done properly but at least people can buy the mono digitally without paying so much for it.

Meanwhile the outtakes, including those versions of The End, languish. Thanks JAM!

rnranimal likes this.
  2. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I just did a line by line vocal comparison of the two versions and it's a completely different vocal take. There's an extra 'ah' in the correct version toward the end...there's an extra 'and' in the alternate...and there's a couple stops and starts in the singing at the end of the alternate.

3. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Well, tages says it's an alternate vocal on the U.S. mono album, Lord Hawthorne says it's the vocal that was put on the '88 CD and you say it's the same vocal as the stereo U.S. album so I guess the mystery continues.

asdf35 likes this.
  4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Very interesting. Jim was pretty good at his job. Those vocal takes sound remarkably alike,
    good enough to fool the engineers (Rothchild/Botnick) apparantly!

Comaboy likes this.
  5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The entire vocal is different from the conventional version.

Comaboy, John Bliss and asdf35 like this.
  6. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

The mystery doesn't need to continue. U.S. mono/U.S. stereo = same vocal take. The '88 version = different vocal take. Both U.S. mono and the U.S. stereo say 'Trying SO desperately to be free'. The '88 version omits 'SO'. This can be heard around .53-.56 seconds on all versions. Hope this clears things up.

Comaboy, GroovyGuy and asdf35 like this.
  7. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

Coming straight after the one they took on the London Fog, they must be feeling really clean.

8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Well... not quite. Because The End is so long, you need to buy the whole digital set. Still, not bad for 20 bucks. Besides, I needed Break on Through and The End in stereo as they originally appeared. And I got the Matrix tracks too.

The Doors (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) by The Doors on Apple Music

I do hope they manage to put out the mono Wintertime Love. I have a rip but it's not that good.

Six Bachelors and Floyd47 like this.
  9. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Again, all these decisions (releases) which are made have to go through several parties before moving forward to get a product out. It’s not as easy as people think. It’s just not. Sorry.

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

to all -this thread has been reopened after removing several libelous remarks aimed at the Doors management.

Just as a reminder, the thread topic is the announced release of a 50th Anniversary edition of Strange Days by The Doors. Please keep all comments confined to the subject matter.

thanks

Pats Radio, ssmith3046 and jsayers like this.
  11. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Mr Pats, the doors will participate on RSD BF?

12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Strange Days is a brilliant album. Great as the debut is, there's not a trace of "sophomore slump" on Strange Days. The whole album has sort of a dark carnival vibe that's actually nightmarish in places, enhanced by one of the greatest album covers ever made. The music sounds like that cover photo. Back then, artists would often use evocative cover art to reflect the atmosphere of the music and the cover was part of the album experience. With a few exceptions, that's virtually a lost art today.

13. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Yes on RSD.

14. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

That's what I found when I listen to them. Man I love this :)

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The 88 version is a remix. Wrong vocal chomping.

Ha! Spell check changed it. The word is comping.

Soundslave, DRM and Electric Sydney like this.
  16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

17. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Back in 1987 I bought "Waiting For The Sun" on CD. (This is before the Botnick CD remix that was published in 1988.) I recall that CD version I bought in 1987 had these really weird distortion noises (almost like wind). It sounded like whoever did the transfer used a damaged and/or multigenerational master. It sounded pretty awful. I don't remember if it was printed in West Germany. It didn't have orange coloring on the CD. Instead it was mirror colored with red and white outlines around the perimeter. Anyway, my point is that CD version was awful. In contrast, the debut album on CD from the mid 80s had orange on the disc and sounded fairly decent. I'm going by memory as I no longer have those early CDs...

Comaboy likes this.
  18. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Yes the '88 WFTS CD has the wrong vocal on Wintertime Love.

A couple people were saying the original mono WFTS album had a different vocal than the stereo album, so I had a brainstorm thinking maybe that different vocal was the wrong one used on the '88 CD but I guess it's not. Most people seem to say the original stereo & mono WFTS album use the same vocal on Wintertime Love, which seems weird if WL is a dedicated mono mix on the mono album.

But anyway, back to Strange Days discussion before the thread disappears again.

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I own a complete series of all The Doors cd's.

The 1988 remasters that say

"This recording has been digitally remastered
    from the original master tapes for superior sound quality
    by Paul a. Rothchild, Bruce Botnick and the Doors.

Mostly have a unrefined digital edge to the sound. Some of the original cd's sound ok, in fact the Morrison Hotel target sounds excellent. And I think the 1985 2cd Best of in the fatboy case sounds clean / unfutzed with.

Soundslave likes this.
  20. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

New material or reissue?

21. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

Posts for doors' management concerning the 50th Anniversary edition of Strange Days is strongly connected. As a member i wish i could criticize anything that has to do with the overall parts of one release. Music details, management, price etc. That's my point and i have to respectfully disagree with yours.

22. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

There's a difference between a legitimate critique and a libelous remark though. Also, there's a lot that they may do that we'll never know the true reasoning behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.