Strange Days - The Doors 2nd album, 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lovemygirl, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident Thread Starter

...imagine if the doors first two albums had been released as a double LP back in 1967? ...:faint:

2. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I totally agree with you and thanks for having the guts to say it. I know this is sacrilegious but I could do without "Horse Latitudes" at all.

Bubba Zanetti and Hardy Melville like this.
  3. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Encuentro likes this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Well, that's exciting!

No product details yet. I wonder what the second disc is going to be. The mono mix perhaps?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

I would guess the mono mix would be included. But wouldn't there have to be more than the mono and stereo mixes to fill 2 Cd's ?

Encuentro likes this.
  6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

You're right. They could squeeze both the stereo and mono mixes on 1 CD. Perhaps the Strange Days track performed at the Matrix on the 2nd CD.

Kevin55 likes this.
  7. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

lovemygirl and Encuentro like this.
  8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Still leaves 30-40 minutes of possible space. 1 Fog track and 1 Sullivan track only adds 6-7 mins.

Maybe couple tracks from Fillmore East late 67 with an over dub.

Studio outtakes are the big possibility, but Jampol likes being a party pooper.

Encuentro likes this.
  9. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

me too!
    Latitudes needs to go! Back to back songs about drowning...bound to inspire great trips around the world:)

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the Strange Days album but my main squonk about the Doors is for a psychedelic band they sure have real negative energy bound to inspire bad experiences on drugs if you're not careful. Too many songs are real downers as far as subject matter, it makes you want to give Jim a happiness pill:)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  10. lovemygirl

...no tracks from the Fillmore east. I believe your thinking about Fillmore West....

11. lovemygirl

...the truth of the matter, some members make it very difficult to have a peaceful, civil and intelegent way about these release dates...

12. lovemygirl

...your in for a special treat my fellow Doors fan! ...

Encuentro, David del Toro and Kevin55 like this.
  13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yep. Both the mono and stereo can fit on one disc, and there'd still be about 9 minutes of room

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. lovemygirl

...I said the same thing about the singles release, many many Doors fans including our forum president expressed there reflections on the single release ... don't let this release slip thru any Doors fan fingers because of someone's resintment about the doors past releases. This is beyond joy. It's an artist freedom for the band to release what they want, not the M.F.M plans...:)

15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

That vibe is what is unique and enchanting about The Doors first two albums in particular. They were not wearing flowers in their hair.

The singles set is long overdue and apparently very well done. The debut LP anniversary set was botched horribly. This has two discs on it so may well have even less content than the debut 50th. Unless it has a disc of studio outtakes and unheard material, it will be a redundant and pointless reissue.

16. lovemygirl

...what makes it a two disc release and what being offered is gonna make any Doors fans twitch ...:shh:

17. lovemygirl

18. lovemygirl

...does every body know what M.F.M stands for?

19. lovemygirl

...can you please explain. I'm trying to understand the whole dynamics of your thoughts...:)

20. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Why was it "botched?" Because you didn't like what they did? That's your opinion not a fact.

21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

No previously unreleased studio material. The only bonus material being a selection of tracks from a longer recording (which we were already cheated once with and that they will most likely milk again later with a complete set - making this disc totally worthless instead of just mostly). Yeah, real exciting stuff. Not to mention the sound. The Matrix raw transfer sampler sounds way better than the 50th. I'll stick to the bootlegs if that is how a complete set sounds, if it ever happens. Their handling of the Matrix material has been the very definition of botched at every step.

22. Six Bachelors

I'm trying to understand your post. Which part of my post are you asking me to explain? If the second part, see rnranimal's post for a perfect distillation of my thoughts.

23. Six Bachelors

As I said above, another poster echoed my thoughts but I say it was botched because:
    - no outtakes at all (even the ones from Perception)
    - not including at least the correct Indian Summer for those of us stuck with the mislabelled Morrison Hotel version on the debut 40th anniversary CD
    - a sample of Matrix tracks only, not the whole lot or at least the entire recording of the the 7th meaning either a. that the sample tracks will be duplicated on any full issue of the Matrix and that the sample tracks were here as bait only or b. the full Matrix is not getting released
    - not including the 5.1 mix
    - not including the stereo remix
    - not including the single edit of LMF
    - no footage (BOT clip, TV appearances, interviews)
    - no archival interview audio

It was a repackaging of the stereo and mono mixes with a handful of weirdly mastered Matrix tracks. It isn't even close to a definitive resource for this LP. It should have been that at the very least; done properly it would have been the one-stop-shop for all official mixes of the album, plus a clean out of all outtakes for this album plus all available archival footage and audio. You can get more from this era of The Doors from YouTube than you can from this box.

I suppose one issue with my use of the word "botched" is that it implies error or mistake. I seriously doubt that this reissue was so sparse due to error or mistake...

24. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

You just don't understand business. :D

Six Bachelors likes this.
  25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I bet it's just the stereo and mono mixes with nothing else... my guess

Steel Woole likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.