Strange reasons why shows were canceled.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

This topic sort of goes hand-in-hand with the previous "mishandled shows" thread but this one specifically deals with the cancellation of shows.

Feel free to contribute your own. :)

Angel : Series creator pressured their network CEO for renewal a couple of months ahead of time. CEO had to give a quick answer and thought it safer to say "nay". Network confirmed a few months later that if he had waited, they would have renewed.

Batman : NBC was about to rescue the show but discovered all the sets had already been destroyed. They didn't want to spend hundreds of thousands to rebuild them so...

Clone High : Maxim magazine mentioned it in a humor piece where they faked outrage at Ghandi being portrayed as a hyperactive teenager. Some Googled and confirmed. It was bad timing as MTV's execs were touring India, back then. Their Indian broadcasting license was threatened to be pulled so MTV canceled the show.

Deadwood : HBO wanted series creator Milch to focus on his new series so they asked him to finish this one in 6 episodes instead of the usual 12 he wanted. They couldn't come to an agreement but finally got two 2h TV-movies greenlit... which is akin to 4 episodes' running time. :doh:

Longmire : A&E had a hit with 4.1 million viewer tuning in for the premiere and still 3.7 million in season 3 but the network found the average age of viewers to be 61 and couldn't sell to advertisers who care primarily for much younger demographics. Luckily, it was picked up by Netflix.

Police Squad : The pre-Naked Gun comedy was canceled by ABC's president because its sight gags required “the viewer had to watch it in order to appreciate it.” :doh:

Reading Rainbow : Funded by PBS, CPB, and the Department of Education, it was canceled (i.e. funding was pulled) as the show taught a love of reading instead of *how* to read. :doh:

Outsiders and Underground : Small-time network WGN America had a couple of respectable hits averaging about 0.7-0.8 million viewers. Bean counters decided to change the network's philosophy and replaced them shows with some averaging 0.2-0.3 million viewers instead. Awesome.

Veronica Mars : Averaging 2.5 million viewers, its highest viewership yet, in its 3rd year, The CW opted to cancel it mid-season to replace it with "Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll."

Young Justice : A cartoon superhero show canceled due to poor toy sales as, apparently, that is where most of their production budget came from.

Any others?

2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Me and the Boys (a very early Steve Harvey sitcom) had high enough ratings for a second season, but ABC cancelled it anyways.

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I don't know about 'strange', but the cancellation of the Wild Wild West was, IRRC, due to the network wanting less "violence" and the show's creators (and Conrad) saying Nope. So that was the end.

bmasters9 likes this.
  4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Didn't want to start a new thread on this so I resurrected this one to ask this question.

Anyone know why or can confirm that Fox network dropped the day time mid afternoon program "The Doctors" that is now replaced by the new "Drew Barrymore" day time talk show? Is this permanent? Hope not.

I just watched the beginning intro of Drew Barrymore's show and couldn't stand the way she talks. It's a bit too much and over exuberant for the subjects she discusses.

Your thoughts and opinions are quite welcome.

Oh, I really liked "The Doctors" program. I found it quite informative and worth my time to watch.

Grand_Ennui and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Here in NH, The Doctors airs on an independent station which used to be an NBC affiliate.

6. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

HBO's Luck was renewed for a second season and cancelled after they started shooting it because multiple horses were injured and died during filming. David Milch from Deadwood was the producer on this one as well. A good show that kind of flies under most people's radar. It's one of those shows like Deadwood that is better the second time you watch it.

7. Tim Lookingbill

And yet another reason for my never signing up for HBO on my Spectrum cable Basic Limited package. But thanks for the heads up that I might catch past episodes of "Luck" on the small screen YouTube internet connect.

8. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

"Star Trek" was cancelled due to low ratings. That seems strange now!

D'oh! ( Mebbe they should've waited a few seasons. )

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

Various reasons offered for “Combat”!” 1) need to syndicate the black and white episodes before color tv became too common (4 of 5 seasons). 2) a proposed ABC—ITT merger with some strange tax implications. 3) get a cheaper war drama “Garrison’s Guerrillas” which lasted a year

“Bridget Loves Bernie” was a popular sitcom about an inter faith marriage that too many people objected to.

“The Untouchables” was getting pressure from Italian-American and anti-violence groups . One cigarette sponsor dropped out when his product was being left on docks and actors salaries were increasing. A decade later Francis Ford Coppola and his producer Al Ruddy (who a few years earlier gave us “Hogan’s Heroes”) went to the Joe Columbo mob family (who were campaigning against Italian-American defamation) to make a deal to get “Godfather” made...no use of the words “Mafia” and “Cosa Nostra”

10. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Gilligans island cancelled because william paley or his wife liked gunsmoke so to fit the timeslot bye bye gilligan and ANOTHER year of gunsmoke

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

They also cleaned house with country shows green acres petticoat junction type shows

12. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

In my area the syndicated "Mom" was replaced by Barrymore's show.:realmad:

13. Tim Lookingbill

I'm not surprised. But I am a bit confused on how networks use individually established cable tv channels to take over a time slot without warning as it did with Barrymore's show. I heard about the show on CBS This Morning in a Gayle King interview with both Drew and Gayle wearing the same canary yellow outfit which made it appear it was a CBS production and to air on CBS, but after the interview ended my cable channel listing menu showed nothing. Not even Fox.

Yesterday the Barrymore show just showed up on Fox. Why didn't CBS mention the channel it was to appear? Don't they want people to know where to look for it?

14. Tim Lookingbill

That explains a lot. Our local Fox channel must be just a Fox affiliate because it doesn't air the full blown Fox News one would get with a larger cable tier package that includes HLN, CNN and MSNBC. I'm down to Basic Limited.

So I guess if I wanted to know when and where the Drew Barrymore show would air I would've had to have been watching my local Fox affiliate most of the time which I don't.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

And several of those shows were still doing well, ratings-wise. Hee Haw went on to run another 22 years in syndication after being cancelled after 2 seasons on CBS.

16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Regarding "The Doctors"- This week, instead of airing it, they're showing some kid/teen type half hour show, followed by an episode of "Judge Judy". However, the channel it was airing on has a sister station and they air "The Doctors" at 6am, as they've been doing for quite awhile now. (The 6am airing showed the episode that aired the day before at noon.)

I looked ahead to see the program guide for next week, and as of right now, it looks like "The Doctors" should be being shown at noon again on our local affiliate. It's supposed to be an all new season, and they have a new doctor hosting it. They only have the one doctor listed as host, so it looks like no more Dr. Stork, Dr. Ordon, Dr. Batra, Dr. Landry, or Dr. Ho. Unless they're going to be featured on the show, but just as part-time guests or something, but we'll have to wait and see on that I guess.

Also, as far as the new "Drew Barrymore Show", the local affiliate is airing it at 2pm, where they used to show two episodes of the kid/teen show that now is airing a single episode and a "Judge Judy" in place of "The Doctors" at noon. And, for what it's worth, "Dr. Oz" (which aired at 1pm after "The Doctors") is still in its original time slot.

17. TheDailyBuzzherd

I used to HATE "Hee Haw" 'cuz it pre-empted "Chiller Theatre" in our market.
    But even then, once I got resigned to this, I enjoyed Buck and Roy's exchanges.

hi_watt likes this.
  18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Is the Barrymore show an independent syndicated show or a network presentation?

If syndicated that might explain why no set network or channel was mentioned.

P.S. I've seen the commercials, but it does not appeal to me at all. Then again, I think almost the entirety of day time programming is a wasteland.

19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

It's been said if demographics had debuted in the '68-'69 season Trek would have survived.

20. TheDailyBuzzherd

That bit on "Batman" above was news to me. They would've had to find a fourth Catwoman!

seacliffe301 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Raquel Welch would have been nice. :D

22. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

The popular series[Zorro-1957-59]was cancelled due to network politics between Walt Disney and sponsors.

23. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Wow. That does not make sense. That show piqued my interest in reading as a kid in the '80s so much.

905, Matthew Tate and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I'm quite glad there are only 6 episodes of Police Squad!
    Never came close to jumping the shark.

'05Train, altaeria and hi_watt like this.
  25. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Wherever you watch it, make sure it has subtitles. Everybody on that show talked like they had marbles in their mouths.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.