Stranger than Fiction, Larger Than Life: the Finn Brothers song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jan 21, 2019.

1. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Locked Out [Zen Mix] has a desperation that fits the song better than the anger brought out in Bob Clearmountain's album mix. As I said earlier, Clearmountain's mix fits the album better, but I now listen to this one more frequently, and I'll stick with 5/5.

StefanWq, therunner, jcr64 and 2 others like this.
  2. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Not sure what they were aiming for with the Zen mix of Locked Out. Most of it has a very pleasant chill out kind of vibe, but the distorted guitars don’t mesh well. It’s an interesting sonic experiment, but I don’t feel compelled to seek this out to listen to.

2.5/5

3. Michael Rofkar

Michael Rofkar Forum Resident

I'm with brownie61 on this. That's just weird. 1/5

StefanWq, brownie61 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  4. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this Zen mix. The vocal is clearly different from the album version, and it's a little hard to believe Neil would have recorded a new vocal just for the Zen mix, which makes me wonder if they attempted a studio version of the ballad version, along the lines of what they played at Fleadh. The guitar when it first comes in is really quite striking. On the whole, though, I don't think it all fits together--you can feel the track restrictions imposed by the "zen" format, and the restrictions get in the way. I have no doubt that a stripped-down "Locked Out" could be very affecting, but this isn't quite it.

3/5

D.B., BeSteVenn, StefanWq and 4 others like this.
  5. Dept. 99

Dept. 99 Forum Resident

Sorry to say it but this just doesn’t work for me. The guitar solos sound like they were tacked on from a completely different song and then slowed down. I agree with Lance that they were on to “something” with this it just wasn’t executed very well. 2.5/5

jcr64, StefanWq and Lance LaSalle like this.
  6. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Yes exactly. I like the snippet of the ballad version live at the Fleadh but this is not it. This is much weirder and parts of it even sound a bit disco to me.

2/5

7. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

The alternative vocal on the "Locked Out" Zen mix uses the same multi-track take but with the tape slowed down. My guess if that Neil had second thoughts about recording a fast rock version and wanted to see if he could sing it the way he wrote it, without re-recording the backing, as an experiment.

D.B., jcr64, BeSteVenn and 5 others like this.
  8. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Fantastic thread, first of all.

Next, slightly off topic, but certainly related to a discussion of every Finn-related song, is anyone aware of where any kind of detailed sessionography exists for Finn-related work (CH, Finn Bros, Neil solo, etc)? There are some great websites for Elvis Costello, the Beatles, Dylan and others that list exact recording dates for everything, and I was hoping to find something similar for the Finn clan.

Being a very OCD person regarding metadata and enjoying creating chronological playlists that show an artist's macro and micro development and creative evolution, I love knowing (as close to possible) exactly when a song or even home demo was recorded (even written!). I have the digital versions of the CH deluxe reissues, which don't include the liner notes, but can't seem to find them online, either.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you and please enjoy your regularly scheduled "Locked Out" Zen Mix discussion.

D.B., Paul H, BeSteVenn and 4 others like this.
  9. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Such a site (princevault.org is my personal favorite of such sites) does not really exist for the Finns and related artists as far as I know; nor is there a reliable book that really is a hundred percent accurate.

D.B., BeSteVenn, StefanWq and 2 others like this.
  10. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Going to have to cast in with the folks who don't think this quite works... something about the rocking song that landed on the album makes it all fit, to my ears. This, not so much. A fun curiosity, but nothing I'd ever actually put on specifically with the intent of listening to it.

2.5/5

D.B., jcr64, Dept. 99 and 2 others like this.
  11. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I'm not a huge fan of "Locked Out", but I do prefer this Zen Mix to the album version and am glad it finally saw release on the Deluxe Edition reissue. Lots of growly guitar here. I'm also a bit surprised that this wasn't issued as a single b-side back in the day; I guess they preferred to promote their live show with the b-sides over offering up some of these more eclectic studio outtakes.

3.8/5

D.B., jcr64, Dept. 99 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Thank you for the info. Sigh... if only I had the time, tech savvy and correct information, I'd make one myself. There are few more interesting, rich, diverse and complex catalogs and musical histories than the combined Finn-related one.

The "Woodface" era, alone, could fill a book.

D.B., Paul H, BeSteVenn and 3 others like this.
  13. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

An interesting little experiment this one. I think if it were just a fragment - say a minute or less - then it would work well as maybe the final song on the compilation or something like that. It outstays its welcome a little at its full length.

3/5.

14. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Locked Out [Zen Mix]"

1-1
    2-1
    3-5
    4-2
    5-2
    Average: 3.0727

StefanWq, BeSteVenn and Otis82 like this.
  15. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Dots on the Shell", written by Neil Finn and Mandawuy Yunupingu. The song was performed by Yothu Yindi & Neil Finn, and produced by Ian Faith and/or Bill Laswell .

This doesn't seem to be on Spotify here in Europe. Below I'll post a stripped down acoustic live version.

The song was released on the album Freedom in 1994. It was also released as a single, but doesn't appear to have charted. It was nominated for an ARIA award for "Best Indigenous Release" though.

Later the song was released on the Other Enz compilation in 1999.

the lyric is widely available and google-able, but I'd be interested in an English translation of the non-English lyric, if anybody knows of one, post it!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  16. Lance LaSalle

17. Lance LaSalle

I have always liked "Dots on the Shell" since I bought Other Enz in 2000. It's sounds like a perfect blend of the "world music" of Yothu Yindi and the more conventional pop/rock sounds of Neil Finn. The backing track shimmers and jangles, and the melody is salty and mildly sweet. I wish I knew what the non-English bits of the song were saying, not being fluent in that language....oh, well.

I think this song stands tall among the other songs of the era and have always really enjoyed every second of it, whenever I've heard it.

4.1/5

D.B., NorthNY Mark, StefanWq and 2 others like this.
  18. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Dots on the Shells has always been one of my favorite Neil songs. It takes me to another place, like many of the Together Alone songs do. The melody is wonderful, and again Neil’s voice is in absolutely top form. This is one I play over and over again.

5/5

19. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Do I have to be the guy who says it? Fine.
    Dude, the translation is in the video you put up in this same post. :hide:

I really like this song and have for a long time. BUT - I have it in my head that there's another version floating around out there that's a little slower/more acoustic? It could be my memory failing, but I'll need to see if I can dig up the copy I have and work out if it's my failing brain or there really is another version out there. If this is the one I have, it doesn't quite live up to my memory, though I still really like it. 4 for this version, 5 for the one that exists in my head (and possibly only in my head).

D.B., NorthNY Mark, brownie61 and 4 others like this.
  20. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

This is a new one for me, and it's nice enough. The music of the verse is rather dull, but the chorus has that distinctive Finn touch. This might grow on me further with more listens; as it is, I think it's good but nothing truly special.

3/5

21. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

I really like "Dots On The Shells" and I think the transition of the two languages from the verse to the chorus is quite seamless, possibly because Yunupingu sings the chorus with Neil too. Not surprising that Neil doesn't attempt any of the Aboriginal bits, but kudos for getting the word 'octopus' into the lyrics.

4/5

D.B., Paul H, BeSteVenn and 5 others like this.
  22. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

I think Yothu Yindi were an incredible group, blending traditional Yolngu music and culture with rock and pop. I first heard of them via the "Treaty" single in 1992 and bought the album it's on, Tribal Voice. It's an amazing album so when Freedom appeared I bought it immediately. That too is a wonderful album and it's a real dream combination to hear them and Neil collaborate. "Dots on the Shells" has a gorgeous melody and the lyrics have a kind of mindfulness about them, appreciating the wonders of nature and life in the sea world. Neil's and Mandawuy's voices together are stunningly good. I love the video clip, so nice to see Mandawuy looking so happy and confident and him and Neil hugging at the end of the clip. Obviously there was a lot of mutual respect and affection there. I never tire of hearing this song.

Yothu Yindi later re-recorded "Dots on the Shells" with Jim Kerr (Simple Minds) singing Neil's parts. That version is on the Yothu Yindi album One Blood released in 1999. It's a fine version too, but the original version with Neil is outstanding.
    5/5

D.B., BeSteVenn, jimbutsu and 5 others like this.
  23. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

"Dots on the Shells" is a good song that I've always liked quite a lot. There are two versions that I'm aware of (not including the later recording with Jim Kerr). The album version from Yothu Yindi's Freedom and the Michael Frondelli Remix that was released as the single a-side. The version in the video that Lance posted is the single remix. The album version is a bit less "slick" sounding and a bit less jangly (it also has the sounds of the sea at the start and end), but otherwise isn't all that different. The song has a soothing, meditative quality to it and I think it fits in quite well with the general mood of the Together Alone period. Because Neil's voice is so prominent, I feel like this track could easily be slotted into a Crowded House playlist and nobody would be much the wiser.

Single mix: 4.2/5
    Album mix: 4.0/5

D.B., NorthNY Mark, StefanWq and 4 others like this.
  24. Michael Rofkar

Michael Rofkar Forum Resident

Not terribly interesting, musically. 2.5/5

StefanWq and Lance LaSalle like this.
  25. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Dots On The Shells is fabulous. The contrast and compatibility of Neil's voice and Yunupingu's is striking. Although the chord structure and the melodies aren't complex, simplicity works for this song. It's one that I frequently play several times in a row. I often see the Freedom CD used for between $1 to $3, it's well worth the investment.

5/5

D.B., NorthNY Mark, jcr64 and 3 others like this.