Stranger than Fiction, Larger Than Life: the Finn Brothers song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

You can hear part of the Split Enz version of "So This Is Love" at 32'28" into Enzology Episode 7.

Lance LaSalle and D.B. like this.
  2. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

Or rather, Episode 4! The link is still correct.

3. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

4/5 - it's such a neat song. I feel like I would have really enjoyed the hell out of a well-produced version with Judd singing. When he isn't too goat-y with his vocals, his voice lends itself so nicely to a tune like this.

robcar and Lance LaSalle like this.
  4. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "So This Is Love"
    1-0
    2-0
    3-1
    4-3
    5-1

5. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "I'm So Up", written by Tim Finn. Sang mainly by Tim Finn but featuring some fine harmonies.
    Released on the Rootin' Tootin' Luton Tapes fan-club only release, a version doesn't appear to be available on YouTube.
    However, there was a 1980 single version by Greg Clark and (former Enz bassist) Mike Chunn which is on YouTube. It lacks the exhuberance of the Enz version (and Eddie's piano) but it is pretty close to the Enz version.

6. Lance LaSalle

"I'm So Up" sounds a lot like the stuff Judd would do with the Swingers, the power pop trio he started not long afterwards. It is most rocking -- the Enz would really never rock so hard again --built on a monstrously big riff, the twin-guitar attack of Neil and Phudd again points to intriguing possibilities...what could have been.

The song itself seems a bit workmanlike to me, but as a hard rock raver, it fulfills it's purpose. It would have made a great closer to an live concert. And it's definitely enjoyable. When Eddie's piano comes in, it feels a tiny bit superfluous, but it adds to the overall energy of the song.

I give it a 3.2.

robcar likes this.
  7. Lance LaSalle

While we're here are a couple songs from this era from "Other Enz", i.e., non Finn Brother projects.. These are really outside the scope of this discussion, but worth hearing:

"Slow MOtion TV", a fine Phil Manzanera rocker with lead/backing vocals from Tim Finn, backing vocals from Neil Finn and piano from Eddie Rayner.

There's also "The Ladder Song", by the Citizens Band, a Chunn Brothers project, that rocks pretty hard. These songs can be found on the late nineties compilation Other Enz.

Citizen Band - The Ladder Song

One more bonus track tomorrow and then we will begin our discussion of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

D.B. and Mylene like this.
  8. Lance LaSalle

Just joking. On Sunday, we'll begin our discussion of Frenzy.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    D.B., mark winstanley and robcar like this.
  9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

The Enz version of I'm So Up is very enjoyable. It's something of a throw-away but still good fun. 3/5

Lance LaSalle and Turk Thrust like this.
  10. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly and I can add nothing to that. 3/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  11. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

"I'm So Up" is the other BBC session track from January 27, 1978 that was released on the second disc of RTLT. Wasn't this one also written by Phil Judd? Or do I have that wrong?

This is a great, fun rocker, with an almost boogie like churn to the guitar attack. Great backing vocals throughout, especially considering this was a one-off radio show recording. Love this tune. 4.1/5

Lance LaSalle and Paul H like this.
  12. Lance LaSalle

Yes it was written by Phil Judd, and sounds like it too. My brain was not fully functional when I wrote that post! Thanks!

robcar likes this.
  13. jimbutsu

3/5 for "I'm So Up." Might even be a generous 3. For some reason this one just doesn't resonate with me...

14. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "I'm So Up":
    1-0
    2-0
    3-4
    4-1
    5-0

15. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Livin' It Up", written by Nigel Griggs and presumably sung by Griggs as well. Correction: sung by Tim Finn.

This song was first released on the 1981 North American version of Frenzy and I think the mix on the YouTube video is from that.

16. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

Sung by Tim Finn.

17. Lance LaSalle

"Livin' It Up". Not a fan.
    1.4, and I think that .4 is just because I'm not super-familiar with this song and the novelty has not worn off.

18. Lance LaSalle

Thanks for the info.

Jaffaman likes this.
  19. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

The mix of "Livin' It Up" that is on the fan-club RTLT second disc is the original mix; apparently they couldn't find the master tape so it wasn't remixed by Eddie Rayner in 2007.

I guess there is some uncertainty as to exactly where this track was recorded, at least as far as I remember reading on the Frenz forum. It wasn't on the known Luton reels, but wasn't on the Frenzy album session tapes either. I could be off on this completely, but that is the gist of what I recall reading. Anyhow, it was included for some odd reason on the 1981 international version of Frenzy. Why they would have included this over so many of the other Luton tracks is a bit of a mystery, and seems something of a perverse decision in hindsight.

1.6 for me, just for the hell of it.

20. jimbutsu

3 for me. God help me, I like this song. It's a hot mess, but a fun hot mess.

robcar and Lance LaSalle like this.
  21. Lance LaSalle

I was wondering what you’d think!

22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

One of the worst things in their catalogue. Abysmal. 1/5.

23. jimbutsu

Well, I painted myself into a corner because of how I scored early on and am effectively working off a three-point scale. So I've decided "3" is a VERY wide band. :D

But I do like this dumb, fun song - in the same way I really enjoyed the recent Aquaman movie more than most people thought I would.

24. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

It’s a fun punk throwaway, not intended for release when it was recorded.

25. Lance LaSalle

It's a cool outtake, I'm glad we have it. Bands having fun like this rarely get heard. Still.

Jaffaman likes this.