Stranger than Fiction, Larger Than Life: the Finn Brothers song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Jamieb7373

Jamieb7373 Forum Resident

Always loved the Billie Jean version - it was on high rotation when I first heard it and it turned up on "lockdown" as I sorted out some of my CD collection - on a blank disc someone had burned for me with various curiosities on - have enjoyed listening to it again and agreed, it is fun - 4/5

As for sexual healing - yeah, never really got into that. 2/5

I did enjoy Neil working himself through various covers on the recent FangRadio run - some belters in there, including Prince, Bowie and the Kinks amongst others - Jaffaman has curated a whole archive of them on Fangradio — Neil Finn - as well as doing a brilliant job of patching together "best bits" recordings for when the Finns were otherwise disposed - mainly recording the new CH material!

As an aside - I can also confirm that "Dave's Serious Chicken Soup" recipe that is detailed on the website is really good - my son made it for me on Fathers Day!

Jaffaman, StefanWq, HitAndRun and 7 others like this.
  2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Those can be streamed in all sorts of places too, just in case we here haven’t got enough Finn music to listen to. :D

StefanWq and HitAndRun like this.
  3. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Kudos to Neil for being willing to do these "stunt" performances live on the radio. "Billie Jean" works pretty well, I think. 3.1/5

As for "Sexual Healing", it's less successful but, on the whole, certainly not bad. 2.9/5

Both of these are quite listenable, which is somewhat surprising given the overall concept.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  4. Michael Rofkar

Michael Rofkar Forum Resident

I must say I disliked both those songs' original versions, and hearing Neil sing them does nothing to improve them. I'm reminded of Richard Thompson's 1000 Years of Popular Song, where he takes on dreck like Britney Spears' "Oops I did it again" with no chance of improving it. (Of course there are better songs on that album.) It's just slumming, and I don't find it humorous or ironic. There's good songwriting, and then there are calculated hits written by formula. These two fall in the latter category. I'll refrain from rating them as they are not NF songs.

5. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Billie Jean"

1-1
    2-1
    3-3
    4-5
    5-0
    Average: 3.05
    Our votes for "Sexual Healing"
    1-1
    2-4
    3-3
    4-1
    5-0
    AVerage: 2.005

StefanWq, BeSteVenn and HitAndRun like this.
  6. Lance LaSalle

As we all Know, shortly after the release of One Nil, Neil did a series of charity-related concerts with band of well-known musicians from April 2nd-6th, 2001;and several months later, an album culled from those performances was released, in November 26th, 2001.

.It was credited to Neil Finn and Friends. The band was included

• Neil Finn – vocals, guitars
    • Tim Finn -vocals, guitar, piano, drums
    • Ed O'Brien – vocals, guitars
    • Johnny Marr - vocals, guitars, ukelele
    • Lisa Germano – vocals, keyboards, violin, guitar, ukelele
    • Sebastian Steinberg -- basses
    • Phil Selway, drums
    • Eddie Vedder - vocals, guitar, ukelele
    • Paul Jeffery – keyboard,organ
    In addition, some old Split Enz songs were played by Betchadupa.
    • Liam Finn – electric guitar
    • Chris Garland – electric guitar
    • Joe Bramley – bass
    • Matt Eccles – drums
    The album was released on both CD and DVD, with additional songs (and better mastering) on the DVD. It charted at #5 in New Zealand and, er, at #140 in the UK.

The CD version
    1. Anytime (Neil Finn)
    2. Take a Walk (N. Finn) lead vocals: Eddie Vedder and Neil Finn
    3. The Climber (N. Finn)
    4. Loose Tongue (N. Finn, Jim Moginie)
    5. Down on the Corner (Johnny Marr) -Johnny Marr
    6. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (Morrissey, Marr) Neil Finn
    7. Paper Doll (Lisa Germano) Lisa Germano
    8. Turn and Run
    9. Angels Heap" (N. Finn, Tim Finn) Finn Brothers
    10. Edible Flowers" (N. Finn, T. Finn, Eddie Rayner, Nigel Griggs, Noel Crombie)
    11. Stuff and Nonsense (T. Finn)Eddie Vedde and, Tim Finn
    12. I See Red (T. Finn) Eddie Vedder, Tim Finn & Betchadupa
    13. She Will Have Her Way (N. Finn)
    14. Parting Ways (Eddie Vedder) Eddie Vedder and Neil Finn
    15. Weather With You (N. Finn, T. Finn) Finn Brothers
    16. "Paradise (Wherever You Are)" (N. Finn, T. Finn) Finn Brothers
    17. Don't Dream It's Over (N. Finn)
    The DVD version:

1. Fall At Your Feet (N. Finn)
    2. Anytime (N. Finn)
    3. Hole In the Ice (N. Finn, Lisa Coleman)
    4. Paper Doll (Lisa Germano) Lisa Germano
    5. Last to Know (N. Finn, Wendy Melvoin)
    6. Down on the Corner (Johnny Marr) -Johnny Marr
    7. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (Morrissey, Marr) Neil Finn
    8. Private Universe (N. Finn)
    9. Parting Ways (Eddie Vedder) Eddie Vedder and Neil Finn
    10. Driving Me Mad (N. Finn)
    11. Loose Tongue (N. Finn, Jim Moginie)
    12. She Will Have Her Way (N. Finn)
    13. Turn and Run (N. Finn)
    14. Take a Walk (N. Finn) lead vocals: Eddie Vedder and Neil Finn
    15. The Climber (N. Finn)
    16. Angels Heap" (N. Finn, Tim Finn) Finn Brothers
    17. Edible Flowers" (N. Finn, T. Finn, Eddie Rayner, Nigel Griggs, Noel Crombie)
    18. Stuff and Nonsense (T. Finn)Eddie Vedde and, Tim Finn
    19. Four Seasons in One Day (N. Finn, T. Finn) Finn Brothers
    20. Suffer Never (N. Finn, T. Finn) Finn Brothers
    21. Cry Wolf (L. Germano, Jay Joyce, Malcolm Burns)
    22. History Never Repeats (N. Finn) Eddie Vedder with Betchadupa
    23. I See Red (T. Finn) Eddie Vedder, Tim Finn & Betchadupa
    24. Paradise (Wherever You Are) (N. Finn, T. Finn) Finn Brothers
    25. Weather With You (N. Finn, T. Finn) Finn Brothers
    26. Don't Dream It's Over (N. Finn)

StefanWq, jcr64 and PJayBe like this.
  7. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out", written by Morrissey and Johnny Marr; performed by Neil Finn & Friends. It's a cover of a Smiths song from The Queen Is Dead in 1986.

Spotify: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

This was released as a promo single in some markets.

8. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

It's a nice song, done very well though fairly faithfully. Neil seems to have put in some effort to sing the song near to how it was done originally.

Sometimes it's hard to separate the music from those who originally wrote it. But, if I do so, this is a beautiful piece of music.

So: 3.8/5

9. Lance LaSalle

The song is one of the most iconic songs of the eighties, and Neil does a really good job singing, his relatively simple phrasing delivering the song and melody well. The chiming guitars help make it go down smoothly. A highly competent cover of a fantastic song.

4/5

10. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

This is one of those very rare cases where the cover actually manages to achieve the unthinkable: it betters the original. This is, as the advert used to say, class in a glass. 5/5. Neil officially has taken ownership of this song.

And here I was, just doing my best to enjoy life when, suddenly, it turns out I'm 50! How did that happen? Clearly, centuries ain't what they used to be.

Keep smiling everyone :cheers:

JCo, Jaffaman, HitAndRun and 9 others like this.
  11. Lance LaSalle

Happy birthday to you!

12. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I would have loved to have had a full length collaboration between Neil and Johnny Marr, much as Try Whistling This was a collaboration with Jim Moginie or One Nil was with Wendy Melvoin. Seven Worlds Collide and the two tracks on Time On Earth suggest how special an album like that could have turned out.

It's nice to have this cover version, having Johnny play on it (and on the other Seven Worlds Collide performances) is a treat.

4/5

13. Lance LaSalle

Yeah, that would have been cool.

14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

There Is a Light - I adore the Smiths. It’s hard for me to get into this cover version because Morrissey’s voice singing it is so ingrained in my head. Having said that, the band assembled here does a great job with it, and Neil does a good job as well - even though Neil is not the Eeyore that is Morrissey, so it rings a little false to me.

4/5

15. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I think of Morrissey as more of a heffalump, but point taken.

16. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

“There Is a Light” is one of the highlights of this fantastic collection. Unlike @brownie61, I was not a huge Smiths fan back in the ‘80s, so Morrissey’s original vocal is not deeply ingrained in my brain, so perhaps I’m more open to Neil’s version, which to my ear carries more innocence and vulnerability. I find this an excellent rendition of a terrific (if rather overwrought) song.

4.5/5

Happy birthday, @Paul H!

17. Lance LaSalle

Observation: Europeans I know think this song is funny, including my wife. Americans don't tend to see it that way.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Ryan Lux, HitAndRun, StefanWq and 3 others like this.
  18. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Lyrically, the song doesn't suit Neil at all but he just owns the performance. I really love this version even if it's perhaps less idiosyncratic than the original.

jcr64, HitAndRun, StefanWq and 4 others like this.
  19. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

"There Is A Light" is my favourite of all Neil's covers, and I think one big reason is that it has Johnny Marr playing on it so you have the link to, and authenticity of, the original. I would guess that only a very small percentage of covers have one of the songwriters actually playing on the cover.

It is also a favourite because it brings back memories of my first Neil concert in 1998 in Manchester when Johnny Marr joined Neil for this very song. You can imagine the reaction from the audience in the home town of The Smiths.

5/5

jcr64, Jaffaman, HitAndRun and 8 others like this.
  20. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

The 7 Worlds Collide: Live At The St. James album credited to "Neil Finn & Friends" is a very strong live album, aided immensely by the presence of a stellar group of musicians. It's probably the Neil Finn-involved live album that I've listened to the most over the years, even more so than any of the Crowded House live releases. It's recorded and mastered well and I think because it contains so much material that is not included on other live releases, it seems fresher to me when I play it. To me, the versions of "The Climber" and "Anytime" here are definitive. It's also great to hear strong material from other members of the collective, especially Johnny Marr's excellent "Down On The Corner" (not the Creedence Clearwater Revival classic). The version of The Smiths' "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" is very good. I will admit to being very dismissive of The Smiths back in the 1980s. They were being forced down my throat by college radio DJs (and one of my roommates) and I wasn't having it. It wasn't until much later that I realized the error of my ways. I'll admit to never really listening to the lyrics of this song until hearing this live version - very darkly comical and, yes, quite overwrought (but that's Morrissey for you). Neil does a good job with it.

It was also nice on this album to get a preview of the eventually forthcoming Finn Brothers album with the performance of "Edible Flowers". The DVD version contains a few extra tracks, a couple of which were only released on CD as b-sides to various singles from One Nil. The others remain exclusive to the DVD, including a very good version of "Suffer Never".

4.0/5 for "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"
    3.9/5 for 7 Worlds Collide: Live At The St. James

jcr64, HitAndRun, StefanWq and 4 others like this.
  21. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Elton John's "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" comes to mind - but I agree, not very common at all.

22. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

The Madness cover of "It Must Be Love" has Labi Siffre in the video with a violin, but I don't think he is on the song itself.

jcr64, JCo, HitAndRun and 3 others like this.
  23. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I'm giving this post a 5/5 because I never thought I'd ever see anyone else point that out...

JCo, HitAndRun, StefanWq and 2 others like this.
  24. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Screw it - I'ma give the song 5/5 too. It was going to be at least 4.something, but I'm in that kind of mood today. This is REALLY GOOD version of a REALLY GOOD song.

(seriously though, I've never heard anyone else mention Labi Siffre in the "It Must Be Love" Video... the highlight of that video for me is how happy he looks to be there)

JCo, HitAndRun, StefanWq and 3 others like this.
  25. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

"There is a Light" - I was heavily into The Smiths in the 80's and this track is, of course, one of their best. Neil & co. do a great version. Love it>
    4/5

jcr64, HitAndRun, StefanWq and 3 others like this.