Stranger than Fiction, Larger Than Life: the Finn Brothers song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Michael Rofkar

Michael Rofkar Forum Resident

"Mockery" is very well played, sung, arranged and produced. I like it a lot! 4.3/5

BeSteVenn, jcr64, KangaMom and 4 others like this.
  2. ToneM

ToneM Forum Resident

Mockery

It's fascinating to hear the evolution of this obscurity over the years, with 3 very distinct takes on it (although I'd barely class Can't Be Found as the same tune). I enjoy the raw rocking aggression of the first, but this gentle slowed down version is quite lovely. The angry lyrics have been transformed into something suitably contemplative and positive. The backing really lifts it with some gorgeous guitar and violin work. In the melody I hear undertones of This Old Heart of Mine, which is no bad thing.

No idea if this was leftover from The Conversation, but it's a warm, heartening track that would fit there very nicely indeed.

4.25/5

3. ToneM

ToneM Forum Resident

Well that sucks. May be a production shortage, seems to have hit a few release dates this year.

Wonder if Start Of Something is based on the old demo played on Fangradio? I'm presuming Show Me The Way isn't a Peter Frampton cover...

4. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "Mockery"

1-0
    2-0
    3-0
    4-7
    5-1
    Average: 4.1063

Highest rated song in weeks, a region-specific digital bonus track. (shakes head in disapproval.)

5. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Predicament", written by Tim Finn and produced by ? probably Tim Finn.

Tim spent the last two months of 2009 touring Australia to support the North, South East West collection. He said he thought it was his "best tour -- certainly the most enjoyable."

He toured New Zealand again with Bic Runga and Dave Dobbyn to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the previous tour, which had broken records -- the CD from the show had gone quintuple platinum in New Zealand (150 000 units.)

Otherwise he played a few sporadic dates in 2010, including a handful in the UK and US.

On the 9th of January it was announced that he had written and recorded a song called "Predicament" for the movie of the same name and had recorded it for the film "featuring actor Jemaine Clement." I understand that to mean that Jemaine Clement actually features on the song but if so, it's just a cameo.

Tim was also asked to play a role in the film, which he did; apparently it was his most substantial film role (his roles in the 80s Greta Scaatchi movies were all bit-parts or cameos.) His performance has been glowingly described as "adequate." The song doesn't stream here, but here's a very short interview with Tim about the writing of the song

The song was released digitally in New Zealand and perhaps in Australia in August of 2010 .I don't know if it was released anywhere else. There is an "alternate" version of the song, likely just an alternate mix that was taken directly fro the film that circulates. But it's not that different.

"Predicament" streams on the usual services, but apparently only in Australasia. The soundtrack of the film proper

Little do you think
    When you meet somebody
    They might soon become a big part of your life
    Loneliness is something that can leave you helpless
    And before you know it, trouble has arrived

It's a real predicament
    You've got yourself into
    A real predicament
    What you gonna do?

Everybody likes a little hint of danger
    But an empty house can fill you full of dread
    It's good to have some peace and quiet in your life
    But you're gonna find out what's inside your head

It's a real predicament
    You've got yourself into
    A real predicament
    What you gonna do?

You will lost, you were lonely
    And so you got carried away
    Now you can't tell the real from the phony
    That's your predicament today

It's a real predicament
    You got yourself into
    A real predicament
    Don't know what you're gonna do
    A real predicament
    You got yourself into
    Don't know what you're gonna do
    A real predicament
    Tell me what you're gonna do
    Tell me what you're gonna do

6. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Predicament

Initially it was a surprise to hear it start as a reggae song, and I was immediately reminded of Neil's comments on reggae. However, the song has a great hook, showing that such can be done with the word 'predicament'.

Tim sings well and (presumably) Brett plays the guitars well. First the reggae 'chicka chicka' at the beginnng, and then more melodic lines later on.

I'd guess that Jermaine Clement does the very bassy spoken words.

Overall a great addition to Tim's oeuvre.

4.2/5

7. Lance LaSalle

Yeah me too.

As reggae excursions do, I actually like this one a great deal more than "Fraction Too Much Friction" or "Mantra Mix" but not as much as "Parihaka"-- although that languid horn line here is just awesome.

File under lightweight summer pop songs for me: Tim has a number of those but this is really one of the best of those, in my opinion. It actually reminds me of really old school Tim, like something from the self-titled album only sans the 80s synths.

Lyrically, it seems to have a slightly darker shade than Tim's typical '00s relationship-oriented songs, which, again, reminds me of something from his younger post-Enz stuff.

4.3/5

8. Lance LaSalle

Yeah, I think that Neil is wrong about that: I get that he's not comfortable with it, and he has to do what he's comfortable with; and certainly the rock form of "She Called UP" is much more interesting than the limp reggae inflected demo; and I don't think that Crowded House, frankly, could do it in an energetic way, simple as. They have limits and that is one.

But I am not quite on board with assigning certain forms of artistic expression to particular ethnic groups.

We'd never had had any rock and roll or most 20th century popular music at all if people had that attitude. And why reggae but not swing, soul, jazz or R&B?

I don't know: I believe pop music can appropriate from anywhere, and does. As can other forms of music and as they do.

It's only rock music (or classic rockicists, if you will) that get a bit conservative and staid, and maybe Neil is coming from his point of view with a typically conservative rock attude: but even so I note that rock bands like Rolling Stones and especially bands like the Clash and others have done a lot of reggae; John Lennon dabbled with it, and so on. I just don't agree with him.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    BeSteVenn, StefanWq, Ryan Lux and 5 others like this.
  9. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

My memory of what Neil said may have failed. I don't remember Neil talking about cultural appropriation. I thought he just said that the world does not any additional second rate reggae songs, and that he wasn't confident that he could do the genre justice. Did he say more? I'm working and don't have the time to go and do a whole lot of research, so would have to revisit this in the weekend or so.

10. Lance LaSalle

Maybe I've also extrapolated on what he said. I can find that stuff, quite easily.

11. Lance LaSalle

You are right: what he said was this;

I'm...wary of playing reggae...because I think...in anybody but the hands of the authentic masters, it can sound a little twee and try-hard.

I think I've mixed two different opinions about reggae from two different people into one gigantic opinion. Sorry, Neil.

I agree that it can sound twee", though I don't necessarily dislike "twee"; and I've never really understood what "try-hard" meant. It's one of those words that doesn't compute to me as a criticism.

StefanWq, jcr64 and brownie61 like this.
  12. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I always got the impression that he just felt uncomfortable taking another culture's music and doing it badly. I can see that he'd feel it was disrespectful and demeaning.

BeSteVenn and StefanWq like this.
  13. Lance LaSalle

Y
    Yes, yes, I obviously combined two different opinons and assigned them both to Neil, apologies to all.

Paul H likes this.
  14. Lance LaSalle

By the way, I found a live version of "Mockery" from Toronto in February 2008 with different (inferior) lyrics, but an arrangement closer to the bonus track we discussed yesterday than the more rocking '92 demo, which makes me think it probably was at least considered for The Conversation.

StefanWq likes this.
  15. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

Predicament - it's a lovely surprise to hear a Tim song in this kind of breezy format. It has a nice loping feel to it and the horn arrangement is very good. I think this would be a good song to lie in a hammock on a warm summer day.
    4/5

I think it's astonishing that these songs are all on the anthology (which is not widely available outside Australasia). It's a shame to not have these songs more widely available.

When I use try-hard as an expression I mean that it seems a little forced. If that helps at all...

I get what Neil is saying that he is not comfortable with it. I mean, in essence, Reggae has a very particular relaxed feel and I don't know that CH or Neil in particular has it in his DNA to do it without making a huge effort. And that's ok. It's also obvious it wasn't a huge influence on him as a music genre (like say Neil Young).
    I agree, music is one of the great levelers. I don't think it cultural appropriation....cultural appreciation is more like it. Why should we restrict ourselves to our music lane (How would I ascertain what my music lane is anyway? If that's the case I'd probably never listen to Opera)

BeSteVenn, StefanWq, Ryan Lux and 2 others like this.
  16. Lance LaSalle

No, this was not part of the Anthology. This is a standalone digital-only single released in 2010, connected with the film.

17. Lance LaSalle

I could see it being cultural appropriation if one came out talking and singing in a fake Jamaican accent or something but seeing how its roots are based on 60s Motown, I dont get it wrt reggae.

But again, Ive conflated two different opinions here and introduced an awkward political angle here where it was really dumb to so so. Quite embarrassing really.

jcr64 and Ryan Lux like this.
  18. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I posted my response before I saw yours. No need to apologise :)

KangaMom, Ryan Lux and Lance LaSalle like this.
  19. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I like this - it does feel a *little* forced but in kind of a charming way? The somewhat dark lyrics juxtaposed with the bouncy music give it a little playful "I told you so" vibe.

4/5

BeSteVenn, StefanWq, KangaMom and 3 others like this.
  20. ToneM

ToneM Forum Resident

Predicament sounds like Before & After 'funk' Tim juxtaposed with a reggae beat, yet the two don't quite gel. It's probably just personal preference, but I feel a more stripped back guitar focused treatment would've done the tune more justice. The horns are too UB40 for my taste. Underneath the arrangement there lurks a likeable melody with a strong chorus, hence
    3/5

BeSteVenn, StefanWq, KangaMom and 3 others like this.
  21. drewrclv9

drewrclv9 Forum Resident

“Predicament” is quite a good song, and not something I’d really expect to hear from him in this era, especially coming off The Conversation. It’s more akin to his 90’s work in a lot of ways.

Everything works well here to put forth a breezy kind of sound. Only thing that stands out is that the middle 8 feels like it’s from a different song to me. Still a really good listen overall.

4/5

BeSteVenn, StefanWq, KangaMom and 2 others like this.
  22. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I like "Predicament" quite a bit. It's a nice change-up from Tim at this point in his career. Yes, it was only a one-off one-track single, so it's not as if he redirected his career or anything with this song. Still, I enjoy it. The horns actually remind me of Chicago (that's not an insult; some of their early stuff was rather good). I like that the song doesn't stay in straight reggae mode throughout, but instead progresses into a different rhythm.

Solid tune.

3.9/5

23. Lance LaSalle

Definitely!

brownie61 likes this.
  24. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Haha. Chicago was my first favorite band. I saw them multiple times back in the mid-70’s, when my friends and I had to have our parents drive us because we were too young to drive! Actually, our parents came to the shows with us because they loved them too. And then their guitarist accidentally killed himself and they very quickly became something that made me want to throw up.

But those early albums are wonderful.

KangaMom, robcar and Lance LaSalle like this.
  25. Michael Rofkar

Michael Rofkar Forum Resident

I like "Predicament" quite a bit, particularly the horns and electric guitar. It has a nice vibe to it, and Tim sounds good. This song is better than many of Tim's and deserved a spot on one of his albums. 4/5