Stranger than Fiction, Larger Than Life: the Finn Brothers song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jan 21, 2019.

1. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Raine Channing

By this time the songs are losing their novelty value for me a bit. The lyrics are unusual, but we've had a number of songs like this.

The accompaniment sounds a bit like an acoustic guitar sound played on a keyboard to me.

The melody is OK, but isn't a standout.

Tim sings a bit more musically than some of the other songs.

3.1/5

Anne_G, drewrclv9, KangaMom and 3 others like this.
  2. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

"Raine Channing" fits in well with the other songs, but it doesn't make as strong an impression as the previous songs. While they sounded to me like a lot of thought had gone into them, in terms of arrangement and how Tim was going to do his vocals, this sounds to me like a first draft. I think it could develop into something as special as the previous tracks, but as it is it sounds a bit half-hearted to me.
    3/5

Anne_G, drewrclv9, jimbutsu and 4 others like this.
  3. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

I agree that "Raine Channing" doesn't work quite as well as the preceding songs. Some of it, I think, is the incongruity between the quest for artificial eternal youth that the lyrics describe and Tim's weathered, ancient-sounding voice. The melody also isn't quite as good here.

3/5

Anne_G, drewrclv9, StefanWq and 3 others like this.
  4. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

Raine Channing - Well, those lyrics are real spooky. I mean, that's some real gothic style stuff there. I like the almost harpsichord sound which fits nicely with the idea behind the lyrics. There's a touch of "Sunset Boulevard" (the movie) here in the atmosphere. I don't think the song is ultimately all that compelling, again, in the context of a musical play there was probably going to be some staging that would have brought this to life. In fact out of all of the songs so far, this is the one that I can most see in a stage setting.

3/5 because the melody isn't all that compelling but I get the idea of what the play would have been like.

Anne_G, drewrclv9, jcr64 and 2 others like this.
  5. KangaMom

Ahh, just received the FinnManz CD (at work, I'd forgotten that I put that address for delivery!)

StefanWq, HitAndRun and Lance LaSalle like this.
  6. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

I received it today too!

StefanWq, HitAndRun and KangaMom like this.
  7. KangaMom

I thought for sure you would get it ahead of me - surely there is less distance...but then again it had to get out of the UK and I think that's the bottleneck...

StefanWq, Lance LaSalle and HitAndRun like this.
  8. Lance LaSalle

Much less distance, it was probably here last week. Probably got slowed down in customs. Labor shortage here so they take longer than they should.

KangaMom, StefanWq and HitAndRun like this.
  9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

FWIW, I had my copy on Saturday. Of course, I'm in the UK. Not bragging, just offering up for comparison.

Regarding this Tim album I'd never heard of, Lance's incessant praise of it has me intrigued enough to check it out at some point but now isn't the time. So I'll stay lurking until we start talking about songs I've actually heard before :)

10. KangaMom

I'm not sure whether I am reassured or horrified that we can live 1000s of kilometres away from each other and yet still all receive our copies within days of each other...

Paul H, HitAndRun and StefanWq like this.
  11. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

My copy of FinnManz was shipped a week ago, so who knows when I’ll get it. But I’ve been listening to it on Spotify and am looking forward to discussing it.

I listened to the Vermilion Sands tracks once and could not bear it. Sorry. :(

jcr64, HitAndRun, BeSteVenn and 2 others like this.
  12. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I think this one might be the most interesting of the bunch so far. The vocals seem a little more pleasant to listen to and the story being told is something that makes sense to me. Outside of that, though, there's still a lot of same-ness among all these pieces, which makes it a bit of a challenge. No way could I get through this whole thing in one sitting.

3/5

13. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

My location isn't as exotic as your locales, but I did get my copy today, too. Now, back to lurker mode, I've been enjoying your discussion of Vermillion Sands.

HitAndRun, StefanWq and KangaMom like this.
  14. drewrclv9

drewrclv9 Forum Resident

This is decent, but it’s a little too old fashioned or something for my taste. The melodies are still nice and the various keyboard sounds themselves are good, but I guess there's just something overly rustic about it that doesn't engage me as much as the first couple songs we've covered.

3.2/5

jcr64, Anne_G, Lance LaSalle and 4 others like this.
  15. Lance LaSalle

It's a very lonely place I live in. :D When I have to write the words down for a song I listen to the song over and over again very attentively and end up and it ends up sinking in and making me a part of its world -- and I end up liking it more than I did at first listen. I'm sure if I had written Elroy's lyrics down I would have liked the songs better but I found them so incredibly boring that I couldn't torture myself that way.

Our votes for "Raine Channing"
    1-0
    2-0
    3-6
    4-1
    5-0
    Average: 3.2429

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    factory44, jcr64, KangaMom and 3 others like this.
  16. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Aurora Day", written and produced by Tim Finn.
    Aurora Day

My beautiful neighbour wouldn't answer her bell
    I wanted her to stop sending poems pell mell
    Across the sands and into my home
    On coloured tape the wind had blown
    To hang like bourgainvillia
    Fragments of verse all too familiar
    Shakespeare and Wordworth, Elliot and Keats
    Her VT set must be stuck on model repeat

Aurora Day believed in poetry
    Written by humans
    Aurora Day, that diamond night time child
    Of Vermilion Sands

One night I watched her stroll among the dunes
    Behind pale green clouds under bright full moon
    With her long whtie gown and loose blue hair
    She was lost in a reverie, apparently unaware
    Of three purple rays that circled overhead
    And me in my dressing gown, staring like I'm dead.

Written by humans
    Of Vermilion Sands

We so-called poets have lost all sense of shame
    Relying on machines, transliteration's the game
    But Aurora remembered Melander and Corodant
    The muse and th poet who died so art could live on

Written by humans
    Of Vermilion Sands

Aurora with her giant sand rays
    Killed a poet, then ran away
    Aurora Day has gone away
    Aurora Day

jcr64, KangaMom, Anne_G and 2 others like this.
  17. Lance LaSalle

Another weird, sketched out song with weird lyrics that give me this beautiful sense of lonely, strange melancholy. The lyrics here are a little obsure, heavily dependent on the story which I haven't read, but they seem somehow relevant to the post-modern hell-hole we live in, even if they are about aliens or robots on a distant planet or something.

3.9/5

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    factory44, jcr64, drewrclv9 and 4 others like this.
  18. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Aurora Day

This is another odd little song, as most of these are. Both with the lyrics and music, I'm not sure that this song works as well as the others. This needs a better arrangement to work, I think. The slightly weird (in a good way) backing vocals help a lot. But, there needs to be more of that.

3.1/5

19. Lance LaSalle

I agree,that bit could be fleshed out. That would be a good place for Elliot to sing something.

KangaMom, HitAndRun and StefanWq like this.
  20. Anne_G

Anne_G Forum Resident

Raine Channing: So great! 4/5
    Aurora Day: wow creepy background singing so dark and scary. And it’s about poetry! Oh Tim :winkgrin: 2.75/5

jcr64, drewrclv9, KangaMom and 3 others like this.
  21. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I would describe Nottingham as many things (the home of soccer, for example) but "exotic"? Hmm. No.

22. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

It's gotta be more exotic than Token Creek.

[​IMG]

23. KangaMom

Ha! That picture does make Nottingham look exotic in comparison! Home of such cosmopolitan activities as football....:D

BeSteVenn, StefanWq and HitAndRun like this.
  24. KangaMom

Aurora Day - Starts of with what seems like a pretty melody, but doesn't really take full advantage of developing it. I agree with any others that there could have been a lot more backing vocals (yes, Elliot should have sung on this). The lyrics obviously document a big part of one of the stories in Vermillion Sands. I am a bit intrigued as to this idea of robots being neighbors...odd and unsettling.

I don't think this song is as successful as the previous few. Also at this point I'm a little creeped out by the stories. Maybe the staging would have made this an excellent musical play but it's certainly eerie and unsettling.

2.9/5

jcr64, drewrclv9, BeSteVenn and 2 others like this.
  25. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

At this point, the project should have been titled "Vermillion Sands: Songs from a Haunted Tree."

2.8/5

jcr64, drewrclv9, HitAndRun and 2 others like this.