"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Right now, there is no confirmation that this will get another season. I hope it does though, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

2. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

EVOLVIST and Shawn like this.
  3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

First thing I thought, was this was a take off of his Super 8 movie!

Bender Rodriguez and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Wasn't that a J.J. movie meant as a homage to Spielberg?

hellion likes this.
  5. I've only seen the first episode, but wow, what a time machine! I was just about those kid's age in 1983.

What's interesting is that if you see a film made in 1983 the look and texture of aged film usually gives that nostalgic trip. But seeing 1983 in 1080p, where it looks authentic and not "old," it made it more real to me, as if I were there.

In fact, the little blonde baby in the highchair looks almost exactly as my wife looked around that time. It was crazy seeing that.

I'm sure the wife and I will kill off this show this week.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought the very same thing. Absolutely.

amoergosum likes this.
  7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Is it my imagination, or were several of the songs featured throughout the series covers? Something seemed off on a few of them - like the vocals and instrumentation was close, but not quite 100% original. I should have made notes as I was watching, because I can't remember which ones they were, now.

Other than that, I enjoyed this series a lot! Hoping it gets a follow-up, because they left too much ripe for continuation.

mark renard likes this.
  8. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

"The composers of the Stranger Things soundtrack (Michael Stein and Kyle Dixon) were two members of an Austin synth band called SURVIVE; their music was featured in the soundtrack of the film The Guest. This is how the Duffers initially discovered them. Michael and Kyle both quit their day jobs in order to work on the show. The composers have written over 13 hours of music for the show."

Link:
    Facts you need to know about Netflix’s Stranger Things - The Fuss »

Wow...I just listened to one of their albums on their bandcamp page...LOVE it >>>
    Link:
    mnq026, by S U R V I V E »

Yovra likes this.
  9. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

Finished the series today. Really hope Modine's remarks are accurate. A second season can't come soon enough. High quality throughout the series.

Bowie Fett and amoergosum like this.
  10. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Love
    Love
    Love
    Love
    Love this show.

jon9091 and amoergosum like this.
  11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Love this so far. Wife and I are on episode 7.

Any more shows to recommend if we like this?

Bowie Fett likes this.
  12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Watched episode #1 last night. It was really heavy on the "80s movie themes", from the titles to the production choices. But they pulled it off. And I give the costumes and other set dressings a 9/10 for accuracy. Since I'm the same age as the boys are represented in the show (8-9 yo?), many of the themes resonate with me.

I hope the rest of the story plays out well.

13. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

opening credits music is strongly reminiscent of "Welcome to the Machine"... anybody else get the same vibe?

14. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

So did no one else notice this?

15. They seem to be originals to my ears...

16. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I liked it OK and would watch another, but that was a whole lot of scenery chewing going on by Wynona and the kids were getting tiresome by halfway through.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think you're right. I'm virtually positive there was a cover version of at least one song. Unfortunately, my memory is not what it used to be so I can't recall the artist. The Cure, maybe?

18. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel did a cover of Bowie's Heroes. That was one I noticed.

19. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I grew up in the 80s and it is crazy how period accurate this show feels.

20. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Wow, this sounds like it's going to be great. I'll check out an ep or two tonight.

I turned 10 in 1983 - is that about the age of the kids here?

(also, Goonies was the first movie I ever saw twice in one day at the cinema** -- and it has great nostalgia power for me to this day)

**but not the last

21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Here's a listing of songs used for the series: Stranger Things Soundtrack (Complete Song Listing) - Whats On Netflix »

Here are a few I think weren't original:
    • Should I Stay or Should I Go – The Clash
    • I Melt With You – Modern English
    • Tie a Yellow Ribbon – The Dawn
    • Sunglasses at Night – Corey Hart
    I get that. I'm saying that some of the songs used weren't the original artists (i.e., The Clash, Modern English, The Dawn, Corey Hart, etc.). They were generic re-makes in place of the originals.

I might be crazy, but there were certain aspects while listening that raised red flags. Most of them sounded pretty close, but there were some differences that seemed obvious.

If I'm proven wrong, then I'm proven wrong, and I'm good with that. I just thought others would have noticed - especially in this forum.

80sjunkie likes this.
  22. That from his beautiful orchestral covers album from a while back

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. The clash was original

24. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I see... We are about halfway through, so I will try to keep an ear open for this.

25. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I'm only a couple of episodes in, but it's great so far. I think especially if you were a kid in the 80's, you'd like it more than say someone who was an adult in the 80's. Not to say they couldn't enjoy it too, but...you get what I'm saying!

Scopitone likes this.