"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

You are correct. I was sure it was the Bruin. I went and watched this clip and I saw the blue stripe on the sole so Cortez it is. And I wonder if Member's Only jackets are still around. I had about 4 different ones in the 80's. hahaha those were awesome.

3. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I've just watched both seasons for the first time. Overall, I like it very much.

At first I thought it was an absolute ripoff of Twin Peaks and the X-Files, but as I realised the show was mostly from the kids' point of view, I got the Spielberg connection and things started to fall into place.

A couple minor problems:
    1. The kids' use of walkie-talkies, which comes across as 'we don't know how to write for people who don't have instant communication';
    2. Max's brother. Okay, he provides a human enemy/foil for Max and Steve, but his only purpose is being a huge jerk. I kept waiting for him to factor into the plot and he never did.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

My guess is you didn't grow up in that era.

dewey02 likes this.
  5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Not sure in what era you were a young boy, but having a cheap set of Walkie-talkies was definitely a reality of most young boys that I grew up with.
    Edit: rontoon beat me to it!

MikeInFla and rontoon like this.
  6. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I did grow up in that era. Was the same age as the older children (high school). I did have walkie-talkies some years earlier, but they certainly didn't have the range they do on this show.

7. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

If you had the industrial grade walkie talkies used by security guards, firefighters, and some hardcore outdoorsmen, it would have been plausible. But you're right, that kind of gear was very expensive and nobody would have bought them for their kids. I can't remember if the walkie talkies in the show looked like typical Radio Shack kids models.

8. MikeInFla

Agree on number 2. I kept waiting for him to have an "oh crap this is serious" moment and end up helping them out. It never happened. But I rememeber this guy in high school. Not the kind of guy I would ever talk to or even make eye contact with. Someone I would have avoided at all costs. But I do like his taste in music.

9. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

There was a moment during the basketball game at school (ep 4) where Billy did give genuinely good advice to Steve about how to better play the game ("plant your feet next time and draw a charge" or something like that). Given that it was a 1-on-1 play, it essentially meant that Steve was being taught how to beat Billy, by Billy himself, which I thought was interesting.

That's the only hint that I saw that he might be more than a one-dimensional character.

MikeInFla and rontoon like this.
  10. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Hmm...I interpreted that differently. 'I can give advice to you but you're not good to give advice to me' is an exercise in power demonstration. But we never really saw that behaviour again.

I'm sure he'll have to get involved in the action next season.

I remember him well too. I guess we all probably do.

MikeInFla likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So the Duffer brothers Have also been hit with the plagiarism lawsuit? Interesting. Honestly they look a little bit like hollywoid schemers to me. I thought they were younger. Especially interesting is that the kid they supposedly ripped off - A student film festival winner – The name of this kids film was “Montauk” And the duffers went into Netflix pitching “the Montauk project.” I guess his film idea it was about a secret laboratory where the government is teaching kids to be psychic Warriors with aliens and portals to alien worlds, and you know, real high-end original stuff. So I’ll have to admit maybe I was off the mark about Stranger Things being largely plagiarized from Stephen King and Spielberg. ;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    rontoon likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This seems like a spurious lawsuit. The film festival winner dude based his script on a 1992 book series: The Montauk Project: Experiments in Time. The Duffers seem to have done the same, so where's the beef? I don't know if the Duffers had any kind of a deal with the original book anthers, but if not, then they might have a better case than the 'kid'.

13. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Wife and I both loved S1. Lost interest in S2 after the "Elle trip to Chicago" episode which was a total waste of time. Then the followup up episode did nothing for either of us. I'll watch the S2 finale as I read in one post that it was "spectacular". We'll see.

14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

That episode was painfully bad.

15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Easily worst episode of the series. I'm really really hoping that Season 3 isn't an expansion of the themes of that episode.

Daryl M, Deesky and Leviethan like this.
  16. MikeInFla

Coming Soon reports that Cary Elwes and Jake Busey have joined the third season of Netflix’s Stranger Things.

Elwes will play Mayor Kline, described as “handsome, slick, and sleazy. Mayor Kline is your classic ’80s politician – more concerned with his own image than with the people of the small town he governs.”

Busey will play Bruce, “a journalist for the The Hawkins Post with questionable morals and a sick sense of humor.”

Details for the third season are being kept secret, but it begins filming this month. The series stars Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Finn Wolfhard, Noah Schnapp, Millie Bobby Brown, Caleb McLaughlin, Gaten Matarazzo, Cara Bruno, Natalie Dyer, Charlie Heaton, Joe Keery, Dacre Montgomery and Sadie Sink. It was created by the Duffer Brothers, who are the executive producers and directors with Shawn Levy, Dan Cohen and Iain Patterson.

17. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

So they're basically advertising that one character is a cliched stereotype...?

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Odd. I watched season 1 quickly when it came out and have had no desire to see season 2. When I heard they’re doing a 3rd season (today, in fact) I was like whaaa ?? $ talks.

19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Season 2 is great. It deserves a season 3.

Linger63, subzro, MikeInFla and 2 others like this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don’t know why I can’t muster up the enthusiasm to watch it. It’s not like I have anything else to watch .... hmm ...

Ghostworld and dkmonroe like this.
  21. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Yeah, season 2, aside from one episode, was enjoyable. I don't think it quite captures the magic of the first season, but it was good nonetheless.

MikeInFla and GodShifter like this.
  22. Hell they're almost all cliched stereotypes and I don't mind a bit.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's television. All television is cliched stereotypes.

bartels76 likes this.
  24. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Not sure if it has been brought up here before - but if you like 'Stranger Things' you should check out 'Dark'...

Binni, Robert C, jriems and 1 other person like this.
  25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They're very different shows, not at all similar IMO. While I loved Stranger Things S1, I hated Dark, which was a convolted mess.

If I had to compare ST to any other show, it would be Future Man - touches all the 80s+ pop culture references with a scifi bent, is irreverent and quite funny.

Rufus McDufus and GentleSenator like this.