"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I'm somewhat stunned that they used the music of (Canadian) Corey Hart in the opening sequences.
    Was he even a minor thing in the USA?! And I got a kick out of the Sam Goody record store in the mall.
    Does Sam Goody exist at all anymore?

2. He was. He had two top 10 hits and one top 20 and three top 40 hits during the 80's. His biggest two were "Sunglasses At Night" and "Never Surrender" which came out in 1985.

He had a pretty good run for a while with two gold and 1 platinum album.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

No more Sam Goody's, at least here in NY.

4. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Finished watching the first 2 seasons with my 9 year old. We love the show, they did an excellent job giving it that 80’s vibe.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's homage, there's a rip-off, and then there's Stranger Things. They crossed the line so much, I'm dizzy. Did we count all the in-jokes? The Thing, The Blob, Goonies, Gremlins, Explorers, Labyrinth, E.T., Poltergeist (lotta stuff with the TV set filled with static), V, Jurassic Park, Alien, Monster House, Men in Black, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Adventures in Babysitting, some Matrix-y stuff, a great deal of "The Spielberg Face" (classic slack-jawed, wide-eyed actor pose while the camera dollies into the face)... to say the show is a bit derivative is like saying that we need a bit of air to breathe. [If I left out any rip-offs, let me know and I'll add them to the list.] I think a proper homage is a moment, not the entire visual style & overall story arc for an 8-hour mini-series... at which point it becomes a rip-off.

And don't forget...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  6. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Bring back Snapple sodas for season 4.

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Does anyone know why a lot of the original versions of the songs are not being used?

8. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Better than his 'do in "Contact".

[​IMG]

And the boy ain't exactly Cary Grant in real life...

[​IMG]

9. NickCarraway

Biz, Prell, Hi & Dri paper towels, Mr. T cereal. And the multiplex wasn't just full of blockbusters: D.A.R.Y.L lost a boatload of money.

10. NickCarraway

Such as...?

"Baba O'Riley" got a remix for the trailer but everything else sounded to me like "original hits by the original stars". The REO track sounded a little odd but I'm pretty sure that was because it was processed so sound like it was coming from a cheap boombox.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. NickCarraway

Well they'd used the
    Eleven sticks out her arms and screams and gets a nosebleed schtick
    up so the fact that
    she loses her powers
    is a new direction. I'm kind of concerned about the post-E08-credits setup of
    Hopper's not really dead and the demogorgons are back

wayneklein likes this.
  12. Yes, yes and yes.

13. NickCarraway

You're welcome.

[​IMG]

Chrome_Head and marmalade166 like this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Rock This Town, I Just Died In Your Arms.

15. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

That Stranger Things playlist is getting long. The music clearances must have cost a fortune.

Chris DeVoe, cquiller1 and art like this.
  16. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Without reading any of the post-7/4/19 comments before writing this, I just finished watching season 3 with my girls over the course of two days (interrupted last night by a little earthquake activity).

In a nutshell, we loved it. My 14 y/o gave it an 11 out of 10 and I'd have a hard time arguing with her. It pulled in a classic eighties threat with the Soviets and created a plausible storyline (with the exception of why everyone hadn't moved away after not only one but two run-ins with this stuff).

Season 1 was classic. Season 2 was highly enjoyable but a half-step back (kept us coming back for more). #3 has us eagerly awaiting what comes next.

Now to read what y'all thought...

EDIT: It may have been derivative as hell but we found it to be supremely enjoyable. I'm glad I'm not such a student of cinema that I can enjoy dumb entertainment without over-analyzing. I guess that is what comes with being more of a music-head than movie-head.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  17. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I binged on the first four episodes on Thursday night & the last four episodes last night. I loved it!!!
    I have one wish though. I hope the last two episodes are either two hours long each or the last episode
    be a four hour finale. I also think it would be cool if the names of the whole cast & crew could be spread
    all over the final episode. Example: Eleven could come across a display in a store of Eggo waffles with the
    promo ad "Free with three box purchase: "The Adventures Of Millie Bobby Brown" comic book. My opinion.

18. And don't forget The Stuff! With Mr. Blue eyes, Scott Bloom.
    Even the candy wrappers were 1985. Great attention to detail.

19. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

Yes. He had two big hits in America: "Sunglasses at Night" and "Never Surrender."

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

The music was excellent this season.

art likes this.
  21. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

I just read that the actress who played Robin is Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke's daughter. I thought she looked familiar, but I couldn't place her. She looks like a perfect blend of both her parents. I really liked her character. I hope she is back for Season 4.

marmalade166 likes this.
  22. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

I don't mind seeing Priah Ferguson/Erica in small doses, but they gave her entirely too much airtime this season. I hope she's not on next season as nearly as much as she was this season.

marmalade166 likes this.
  23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Really enjoyed season 3. Preferred it to season 2. Thought the story was tighter, loved the comedy moments. Roll on season 4!

24. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I thought there was a definite James Bond vibe as well with the whole 'bad guys build an underground base/lair' trope - I mean, how the hell did they manage to build that thing! :confused: :D

CoachD likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The same way Bruce Wayne managed to build the Batcave underneath stately Wayne Manor. :sigh:

I thought she was one of the few characters who could actually act worth a damn. The little revelation about her worked perfectly and I thought added another dimension to the show.

Finished watching the final episode tonight and I'm kinda "eh" about the whole thing. Not terrible, not great, but overall predictable and not impressive to me. A few surprises here and there, but nothing like the first couple of seasons. It's crystal clear where season 4 will go. As Jack Bauer used to say on "24": "If he's dead, then show me the body!"

Chrome_Head and marmalade166 like this.