"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I co-sign this! :cheers:

dkmonroe likes this.
  2. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Last year I took my children to the Healthfully Air-Conditioned Colonial Theater in Phoenixville Pennsylvania to see The Blob during Blobfest. I was thrilled that both of my children called me about the vent.

The second half of the double feature was The Creature From The Black Lagoon in 3-D.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is hilarious... somebody put together a fake 1980s TV open featuring one of the beloved characters from Stranger Things. No spoilers -- you can watch this even if you haven't seen the new series.

I liked the fake Magnum open, except they needed more car chases and explosions, and trust me, the real main title had those.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

LOL, yes it was! It needed a Higgins. :)

David Harbour always reminded me more of '80s Harrison Ford, particularly his voice and delivery. I'd love to see an Indiana Jones/Raiders mashup (with more explosions!).

Bender Rodriguez and Vidiot like this.
  5. I hope they don't make Will gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    He's just a kid who wants things the way they used to be. He's just awkward and shy.
    I also think he and El should start developing feelings for one another. That would make for an interesting twist among the friends.

Tim S, yesstiles, MikeInFla and 5 others like this.
  6. Finished this last night. I'm glad I didn't binge it.

Eps. 1-3 pretty much on par with Season 2 (which is a good thing)

Eps. 4-8 on par with everything cheesy about '80s B-movies (which is not a good thing).

That said, I was entertained, only not in the way that I was expecting to be. I was successfully predicting the next plot line, or in several cases the next dialogue before it happened. That was entertaining. It went from something simple like saying aloud, "Oh yeah, that ham radio tower that Dustin built will appear latter in the show to help them somehow," to knowing exactly whom would save who, simply because it was the next isolated group's time in the rotation to appear at the perfectly-timed moment to save their comrades. It happened that way. every. single. time. That was entertaining, too.

Honestly, if it wasn't for my overriding feeling that everything centered around the mall was devised to collect advertising dollars, I would think that the showrunners hadn't written a spoof of Stranger Things for Season 3, but no, it was more calculated for that; they bankrolled that money from Coca-Cola, Taco Bell, et al, to ratchet-up the special FX in that nifty way that only sellouts can do when they've run out of story and/or money takes precedent over artistic integrity. If they can keep us glued to our seats in Season 3, the promise of Season 4 is that much more appealing. Thus, it's not about the substance in Season 3; it's about those future bucks. Oh yes, I'll be back for Season 4! I'm sure it will be entertaining. I like to be entertained.

7. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I just finished it tonight. That's a fair assessment. Although the subject matter is fantastical, the characters in the last two seasons seemed at least, somewhat, grounded in reality. In this season we have Russians guarding a loading dock in a mall brandishing AK-47s. Literal cigar-chomping villains. A new girl whose precocious-o-meter is set to 150% all the time. And incessant personal bickering. Being shot at - "You're not listening to me! You never listen to me!" Attacked by inter-galactic monsters - "I'm just not sure how to express my feelings..." It's like each character's IQ got knocked down 20 points between seasons.

Overall, the tone is all wrong. The last seasons had hints of cheesy 80's movies, but fairly believable characters and situations. The new seasons is slathered with it.

Did the show get new writers?

Tim S, jeroemba, Vidiot and 5 others like this.
  8. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Only Eps. 3 and 6 were by new writers.

Eps. 1, 2, 7 and 8 were written by the Duffer Brothers. The writers of Eps. 4 and 5 had each written an episode for Season 2 (neither of which was S2's infamous Chicago episode).

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm coming to the end of my second viewing, this time with my daughter. It still bugs me how Hopper is still running around beating the crap out of Russian agents younger than himself after having his ever-loving butt kicked by Imitation Arnold twice. And Jonathan surely should have several broken ribs if not a broken back. These guys must be completely wired on adrenaline to be walking at all.

Yeah, I've seen this kind of stuff before but it's usually Tom Cruise or someone like that unleashing relentless buttkicking despite taking several beatings himself, not a doughy midwestern Police chief and a spectacularly non-athletic teenager.

Daniel Plainview and serj like this.
  10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Not to mention Steve. He was tied up and beaten by the Russians, and his hair still looked look.

Tim S, Damiano54, MikeInFla and 3 others like this.
  11. dkmonroe

Steve at least LOOKS like he's been beaten up. It was actually just as unrealistic (if not more) when Steve accompanied the kids to the underground monster-hub in season 2 after having the crap beat out of him by Billy. How does this kid still have all his teeth? Every damn year someone is giving him multiple shots in the jaw! :laugh:

I sometimes think that the Duffer brothers are nursing a longstanding grudge against some Steve in their past. He's gone from King Steve to ice-cream slinging loser who can't get a date and falls for exactly the wrong girl. And every season has him getting his pretty face beat to a pulp. They REALLY don't like that guy.

jon9091 and serj like this.
  12. Let's not forget that they turned Nancy into a stone-cold killer. She was brutal.

Oh, I was also entertained that they gang goes outside, only to find Billy sitting in his car, gunning the engine. So, our heroes decide that they like their chances better in the mall, so they go back inside. They then fight the monster some more (who, by the way, takes advantage of every close-up facial shot to open wide and growl really loud), only to be forced outside again...and guess who's still outside, gunning the engine? Man, it's Billy, and he hasn't moved! He eventually does, but only to perfectly-time a car crash with Steve.

Man, they really screwed this one up.

Vidiot, mpayan, serj and 1 other person like this.
  13. dkmonroe

Yeah, but I loves me some Shotgun Nancy! She looked terrible for most of the season, then at the end she looks like the demented love-child of Madonna and Robert Smith, brandishing a shotgun! She's awesome!

MikeInFla and marmalade166 like this.
  14. BluesOvertookMe

Doughy guys can be tough. :winkgrin:

15. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Joe Don Baker made a career of being a doughy tough guy.

dkmonroe and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Omg that was spot on everything I disliked about this last season :laugh:

Thanks! I laughed through the entire thing.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And, wow, the commercial product tie-ins keep on a-comin' for Stranger Things...

[​IMG]

googlymoogly, drgn95, jon9091 and 2 others like this.
  18. Ummm...what does Steph Curry have to do with this show?

19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

They both sucked this season?

googlymoogly and EVOLVIST like this.
  20. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Add Weird Science and the Star Wars movies to the homage list.

21. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

To be honest after the dumpster fire that was GoT season 8, any issues with season 3 of Stranger Things can be happily overlooked.

Excellent point.

dkmonroe and SJP like this.
  22. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Just finished season 3. Really enjoyed it. Probably not as much as the first 2 seasons but still very good. The thing that I like about this show is not just that it pays homage to the 80's (my childhood era) but that you feel like you are watching a series from the 80's. I could be sitting in my family home with my Brothers and Parents in the mid 80's watching this. Great fun!!

I was crying at the Never Ending Story part!! It was so random.

MikeInFla, Murph, AndyNicks and 3 others like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And... there'll be a Simpsons satire in October... [assuming this promo artwork is real]

[​IMG]

24. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

This shot is bugging because it sure feels like an homage, but I can't figure out to which film. The Empire Strikes Back perhaps?

[​IMG][​IMG]

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  25. BluesOvertookMe

That was my thought at the time.