"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Stranger Things: The Grandkids

Mike discovers Eleven is pregnant and in a panic elope. They find themselves in a delima on what to name the newborn. Mike suggests Twelve, but Eleven doesnt like the idea and wants to change from numbers to the alphabet.

Will there be enough Kleenex to stop the bloody noses of Eleven and A..(or J...or whatever the kids name will be) ...??

Will Demogorgon learn to change diapers after "A" (or K or Z or whatever) is sucked into the upside down...!??!

Lucas, youve got a mustache now....get rid of the damn slingshot and get a real weapon thats age appropriate...!!

Next..on "Stranger....Thiiiiiings"

:sigh:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Dillydipper likes this.
  2. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Will there be a new line of Eggo Waffles with boxes limited to eleven waffles? Each waffle can have one of it's squares in the middle filled with cherry syrup!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

New teaser promo just hit today, and it looks like Season 4 will start in early 2022 (a mere 4-1/2 months away):

Hey, am I the only one who noticed that David Harbour plays a Russian superhero who's wound up sitting in a Russian gulag in Siberia in Black Widow, and in this show he's an American guy who's gone through a dimensional portal and wound up sitting in a Russian gulag in Siberia in Stranger Things? What are the odds...

BluesOvertookMe and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. [​IMG]

5. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Looking forward to it. Hope it's good.

MikeInFla likes this.
  6. I feel this will be the last seas0n.

MikeInFla and GentleSenator like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I got Netflix on my phone back in February and watched the first three seasons. I had also read this entire thread.

I have to agree that they ripped off every sci-fi movie ever made.

I agree with the majority of posts here. A few comments...

Could they not have come up with something more clever than "the upside down"?

And... They had "zombies". I don't think I should be watching movies with "zombies", unless they have Milla Jovovich in them.

The Russians somehow manage to build a large secret complex under a shopping mall in the US. And, they keep undercover by standing guard with AK47's in the loading area.

A year has passed between the 2nd seasons end and the third season. Eleven and her friend are kissing at the dance and a year later, the sheriff is figuring that he should keep them apart. Nothing gets by this guy!

I do however think the kids are great! Looking forward to seeing them again. The adults, not so much.

The last time I remember seeing Wynonna Ryder in a movie, it was one the Alien movies. I still can't equate the woman in ST's with Wynonna. I try, but it's not working for me...

EVOLVIST and MikeInFla like this.
  8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i hope it will be.

serj and CDFanatic like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the word is they shot two seasons at once, so we'll get 8-10 shows early next year, and then another 8-10 shows at a future date. I think. The producers are very aware that the kids are getting older and, as we say in Hollywoo, "losing their cuteness."

SandAndGlass and GentleSenator like this.
  10. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I started this but lost interest maybe I will check it out again.

11. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

That certainly was a tease! I think many of the shots were from earlier seasons. I only noticed a handful that seemed to be new. But, it piqued my interest, and that's the point, right?

12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Somethings you can't top. It doesn't get much better in cuteness factor than when Dustin needs to know Plank's Constant to obtain the combination to open the safe, get the key to close the portal, thus saving the world. Susie refuses to give him the number until he agrees to sing The Neverending Story.

He sings, they sing and satisfied, she gives him Plank's Constant: 6.62607004, Hopper opens the safe and all are saved.

In real life, the safe would not have opened. The correct combination would have been: 6.626176, which was Plank's Constant, as it was known back in 1985.

Plank's Constant: 6.62607004, was defined in 2014 and redefined as 6.62607015 x 10^(-34) joule-seconds in 2018.

Additionally, Susie would not have heard anything but the beginning of Dustin's singing, as she keyed the microphone of her transceiver, while singing herself. Neither would have heard the other sing.

Still cute...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  13. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

It looks like there's a "Stranger Things Experience" attraction opening in NYC and SF:

Stranger Things: The Experience

It's not clear exactly what it's going to be, but I'm guess that's part of the point so they can build a little intrigue.

14. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Binge watched all three seasons over the last couple of weeks.

I got netflix for something else, but Stranger things kept showing up as like a 98% chance I'd love it, so I gave in. I had watched just a bit of the first episode a while back and didn't connect with it, but I gave it another shot.

I liked it and it was fun. Obviously, the kids make this whole thing work. You can compare it to a lot of things, I get a very strong Goonies + x files vibe from it.

I realized pretty early on I was just gonna have to live with some silly, impossible plot elements - those got worse as the series went on, but I eye-rolled my way through them - "I did it for the kids." LOL

Things that really regularly take me out of the show:

Max - this actor just isn't up to par with the other cast members, very forced performance. She isn't that bad, it's just that everyone surrounding her is so good

CGI - the season 3 creatures and rats were the worst for this. Maybe you just can't create realistic movement in cgi created real world creatures like rats or cats or whatever - it just looked too fake. And the main creature was just a blob, basically. I never believed it was anything. I found the invasion of the body snatchers-type people way more believable and creepy. More of them, less CGI monsters, please.

The concept of the upside down. The writers have given themselves carte blanche to do whatever they want and explain it away as yet another peculiarity that exists in the upside down. What a CHEAT that is. They have established almost no rules as to who or what can exist in the upside down or which parts can cross into the "Right side up." Again, it's cheating and it's LAZY writing.

Overall, it's still fun, I try and enjoy it for what it is and leave my brain at the door.
    I wish it was darker and the kids were dealing with more real-life problems as opposed to monsters - give them the material, this cast can handle it

15. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

My favorite funny line was in Season 2 (I think) when Nancy first meets 11 and her first response is "Is that my dress?" :laugh:

SomeCallMeTim and MikeInFla like this.
  16. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I didn't get the fuss at first either. I kept thinking, 'Twin Peaks.' But once I caught onto the '80s Spielberg' vibe, it clicked.

MikeInFla and Tim S like this.
  17. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Season 1 was perfect.

Season 2 was perfect until the last couple of episodes, which were snoozers.

Season 3 was baaaaaaaaaad.

So, this is a case where I'll wait to see the critical response to 4 before watching, or not.

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

The soundtrack to this series got me into Juno's and synths lol. I think this series came around and cemented a lot of modern culture reviving certain 80's 'trends' and I'm not just talking rolled jeans and arcades hahaha. I agree with @Panther 's ranking of the seasons. Hopefully they'll breathe some S1 inspiration into the S4.....wishful thinking?

19. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Have you tried Arturia's Pigments and their Stranger Synths bank?

https://www.arturia.com/community/presets and ctrl-f for 'stranger'.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how many seasons?

21. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

I have a lot of Arturia plugins, but NO I haven't yet. I will definitely have to! Are you a fan of using that synth bank?

22. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

Stranger Things has 3 seasons (on Netflix) but is preparing to release the 4th. Does that answer your question?

Michael likes this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not exactly. One thing I like about the way producers and streamers have changed the game is, you can hear about a new season being greenlit before the current season even gets out there. It all has to do with them not needing actual ratings numbers to make a decision. This new idea about subscription and viewer demographic algorithms giving them all the information they need, means we don't have to wait for Upfront Presentation Week to learn about our favorite shows. And, we don't need to count on the super-fans, sending boxes of mac-n-cheese or doilies or stupid things like that into network executives, to nudge them to keep a show running.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If you like the vibe of Stranger Things but want something a little edgier and less "Spielberg-y", for heavens sake look at I Am Not Okay With This. Sadly, the pandemic cut the series to just Season 1, and that's 8 episodes. But a great treatment of the graphic novel.

25. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I haven't tried it either, but I'm sure I'll get it one day.

DonNylon likes this.