Strawberry Fields Forever - Take 7 vs. Take 26

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Detroit Rock Citizen, Feb 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital Thread Starter

Let's suppose the world was less perfect. There was no magic. George Martin wasn't able to match these two takes to create the master for Strawberry Fields Forever. What would you like to have been released?

Milu likes this.
  2. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Really tough call.

I'm partial to well-crafted orchestration in conjuction with well-designed "pop music", so Take 26 is right in my wheelhouse. Lennon's melody/vocal juxtaposed with the tremendous orchestral composition is a beautiful thing. But the tempo is too fast for a "soothing" listening experience.

Conversely, Take 7 has an exquisite, lovely "flow" -- more receptive to the vocal delivery.

I don't know. I think what ultimately transpired with the "master take" is a true marvel. It happened, and it (apparently) was supposed to happen as such.

We are fortunate to have received it.

3. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

It’s like being asked would I prefer to go live with my mum or my dad (7 or 26). You animal.

I’d choose take 7 at a push.

4. Mr.Mustache

Mr.Mustache Forum Resident

I love what we got. I think that by take 26 they had more time to get the song sorted out. But if I had to pick I would definitely go with NUMBER 9..........

5. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

6. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I find the story about how they discovered that takes 7 + 26 went together to be a little too perfect. I believe that the idea to join take 26 to something else was there from the start. I mean why else would the first verse be eliminated in take 26? If they wanted the take to stand on it's own, wouldn't all the lyrics be present? That said, I prefer take 7 because it sounds more like a finished song than take 26, which sounds like half a song.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  7. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Take 1 starts the same way as take 26.

8. daveidmarx

The "living is easy" verse isn't sung on take 26. You only hear part of it at the end.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  9. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Whatever. The same ‘dog-into-a-pile-of-bowling-pins’ occurs on both intros.

10. Onder

Onder Senior Member

It does start the same way but on his final vocal overdub John ignored the first verse so it's missing on the four track tape of Take 26.
    However, there IS an alternate mono mix that does feature early vocal overdub and John does sing the first verse. So the decision to join Take 7 and Take 26 was made sometime between these two vocal overdubs.

11. Onder

Onder Senior Member

But the first verse was there initially. So it probably was meant as a stand alone version. See my post above.

gibtti likes this.
  12. gibtti

gibtti Forum Resident

There is an early mix of 26 circulating with an alternate vocal track at the original faster speed, including full ‘Living is easy’ verse vocals
    I always figured the 26 vocs were redone after it was decided to splice 7 and 26 together as the new vocals have the first verse missing (not needed) and are taped at the new slower speed, matching 7.

My preference is 26. 7 feels more ‘Revolver’. 26 feels more ‘Sgt Pepper’...

Chris

13. daveidmarx

I suppose, though it doesn't sound like much effort was put into getting the first verse just right as it's not present on the "final" mix of take 26. It just seems odd that they jettisoned the fantastic instrumental intro that was on take 7 for take 26.

14. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital Thread Starter

Great comments! Keep them coming.

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Easy for me I voted take 7. However the released version as produced by Sir George Martin is wonderful.

16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Never met a take of ' Strawberry Fields Forever ' I didn't like.
    My favourite song.

17. John54

John54 Senior Member

Never let it be said there exists Beatles minutiae that the forum won't address ... :)

18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I prefer take 1 because it was recorded on the date I was born - November 24, 1966

That's my 2 seconds of Beatles fame.

19. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Hardy minutiae.
    Serious business.

:cool:

MitchLT and Guy Smiley like this.
  20. Dr. Luther's Assistant

That's actually pretty f#cking cool.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  21. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Take 1.
    Never should have altered it so much IMO.
    As for the other two options take 26.
    I never cared for the overly sloggy slow take.

22. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

It wasn't eliminated. For some reason the first lines are muted on the released version.
    It survives on the John Barrett mix.

23. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Agreed.
    At some point in the mid-80's I picked up the Nothing Is Real bootleg. I brought it in to play at the record store
    where I worked. We were a regional chain that did not sell boots, but it was way more important to me to play something like this rather than the 80's dreck we were supposed to be spinning in store. I remember at one point while playing the album, one of my co-workers came up to me and said something like..."How many times is this F$&@ing song on this record? I don't care if one version has a tambourine and the other has a shaker! This is f$&@ing killing me, man!" It didn't matter. It was absolutely fascinating to me to hear all these takes.
    :--)

24. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

When I was working at Music+ I played the 2 Ultra Rare Trax in the store. I would tell whomever asked this was coming soon.

25. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Take 1. Or the one before that. ;)

it gets to the essence of the song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.