"Streaming has killed the mainstream"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I can't make a call for musicians. If I were told that my days work was no longer worth $5, but was instead worth 0.0001 per day, you know - because of the kids, well I'm pretty sure I'd feel annoyed by it. Especially as, this really isn't a movement by the kids, but is something that the labels themselves benefit from. It's the trickle down that isn't working, not the model itself.

Howard Bleach likes this.
  2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

You may be right, more like the wrong line of work to be in.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  3. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

I got a $6 check a couple years ago back when I still had my music on Spotify. A person who knows a lot more than me about how it all breaks down told me the $6 means I got a million plays (or at least skips lol) so, yeah ....

4. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Basically the equivalent of one of your songs being played just once on, say, 15 big-market stations.

5. Terrapin Station

Maine stream

[​IMG]

ricks and erikdavid5000 like this.
  6. Terrapin Station

I know a heck of a lot of avant-garde, outsider etc. musicians who would be more than happy for the mainstream to be killed off.

7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Enjoy the rock and roll lifestyle! :D

8. erikdavid5000

the $6 did go to beer :winkgrin:

Billy Infinity and Vaughan like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They probably think they're open minded too!

HfxBob likes this.
  10. Metamodern

Metamodern Forum Resident

I'm one of those dang milleniums (32). I'm certainly in the minority among my age group. I straddled the transition from physical media to streaming as I grew up. In my teens, and early 20's I embraced mp3 players and such, and listened as a young person does spastically jumping from song to song. It was an embarrassment of riches in comparison to the giant CD binder I had that forced me to listen to whole albums. I can only imagine now with the plethora of streaming services available how listening habits have evolved for teens and young adults. I feel like due to the insane selection music is curated into playlists that are more mood or activity based rather than within the cofines of an album.

Having got into vinyl a few years ago I've come full circle in my listening habits. I regained my appreciation of album based listening, and now take somewhat of a hybrid approach to music. Streaming is great! I have Tidal streaming through Roon. I use the radio function to discover new tracks I like, from there I listen to the album that track is on, and if I like that I'll either purchase it on vinyl or digital download! What a time to be alive!

11. Terrapin Station

I think they're more just focused on wanting to be able to pay rent/a mortgage etc. without having to also work some other job. The mainstream being killed off would imply that music dollars that normally went elsewhere might be coming their way instead.

12. erikdavid5000

Yup. “Rock n Roll” kinda needs a healthy middle class to thrive.

13. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Your premise--like your math--is way off. In your example, there is Michael Jackson (1%) and there are local bands with fewer than ten actual fans (99%). But not long ago there was a thriving indie community that could produce relatively successful bands as varied as Belle & Sebastian and the Melvins. These artists made a living, sustained by fans who bought their records and attended their shows. If any of these bands started today, few would have much of a chance of making a decent living, and the only reason for that is streaming.

Streaming hasn't killed the mainstream; it's killed the mainstream's competition: the underground. The mainstream (and its associated corporate interests) is as healthy as it has ever been. And that's why the future looks a lot more like "Gangnam Style" than Gang of Four. Well done, everybody.

14. erikdavid5000

Question: was streaming inevitable or did the high price of CD’s create a necessity for it?

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I don't think the price of CD's played a role, other than comparatively. No physical format can compete with $10 a month, or free if you don't mind ads. Streaming simply gives everything away from my point of view. They gave away the keys to the record store, and physical formats just can't do anything about that.

16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I would say it was inevitable ever since internet speeds got decent enough to where it was capable of existing

17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Network connected music delivery and consumption was inevitable since the arrival of the commercial internet in the 1990s. It was not at all clear however, 20+ years ago when Napster arrived, that a business model would arrive for network delivery of music. CD began falling thing and fell, and too the industry into free fall with it, for 15 years before paid streaming finally began growing, and with it overall music industry revenue also began growing again. Streaming didn't cause CD to fail. But the internet did. A lot of factors helped turn the corner -- high speed cellular, the growth of all you can eat cellular data plans, a generational turnover, and a sea change in how people feel about paying for content online. In 1997, getting people to pay for online media and entertainment content was a tough sell. In the Netflix era, it's reflexive for millions and millions of consumers. I think in the context of the development of the commercial internet, music streaming overtaking other formats was inevitable. But boy, for a long time there is sure did seem like few people would ever be willing to pay for these kinds of services.

Deuce66 likes this.
  18. McCool71

McCool71 Forum Resident

A million plays on Spotify is worth (in payout from Spotify) roughly $5000. So no, he doesn't know how it works - unless you owned just a teeny-tiny fraction of the rights to your music.

Spotify has very detailed stats, so it is easy to see exactly how many plays you have generated (and where in the world people listen to you music). They might not have had that level of detail available years ago though.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

streaming will never kill the want for physical media here LOL...

Exotiki likes this.
  20. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Witchy Woman, McCool71, jlf and 2 others like this.
  21. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I was thinking about this the other day. New albums are still being released and a lot of people cannot obtain or afford physical media right now. With streaming, at least everyone can still hear the music.

22. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

tug_of_war likes this.
  23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Inasmuch as today's charts actually tell us anything meaningful.
    No intended slight on Dylan, more the way in which charts themselves are compiled these days. Given the complete paradigm shift in how music is bought and sold these days, I wonder if it's time to retire the Top 100 singles and albums charts and say they were a good idea for their time.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  24. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

true. If nothing else one should apply an asterisk when evaluating charts from now vs from yore.

25. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

And that's why I love it!

schnitzerphilip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.