Streaming-How Do You Use It?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BILLONEEG, Sep 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member Thread Starter

I am absolutely a "physical copy" (CD's too) type person because I want to have in my hands what I buy. I also use the streaming service but only for convenience when away from home. If I go to a friend's house or my sister's house, if I want to watch one of my movies I will watch the streamed version on VUDU. VUDU has a great "Disc To Digital" program too. You simply send them a picture of your movie UPC's & they will add that title to your VUDU account ($2 for SD / $5 for HD). I am going through my library of movies & adding them. I won't stop buying the Blu-Rays & DVD's. Lots of times when you buy the Blu-Ray copy it comes with a free Digital Copy & it's easy to add to your account. My suggestion to you all is to buy physical copies & use the digital copies for convenience. What are your thoughts?

2. I buy a lot of CDs, rip 'em, chuck CD into big box for storage.
    All digital music is streamed.
    I don't have a CD player hooked up to the system.

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Paying Vudu to add my own movies? Nah.

I'd rip them myself (which already occurs) and create my own home streaming setup first, if I had to. It'll likely outlive Vudu.

JackBnimble and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Two words: Plex server (and no, this one's not mine, although I wish it were - it belongs to a redditor on the Plex subreddit. 240TB of storage and 32 CPU cores!)

[​IMG]

5. patrick121

patrick121 New Member

(Dead image link removed by moderator)

I always use Vudu on my firestick to watch movies. Apart from that, I use very few tv streaming services. I have subscribed to IPTV Channels to watch TV Shows and sports. After seeing the above image now I am thinking to use Plex but still waiting because on 1st November Apple is launching their own tv streaming service (apple tv +). Lets see how it is!

6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I have most of the streaming services...(net/prime/all access/hulu) and still cable (ugh) hbo etc.....the only time I buy a dvd is when theres a good commentary I want, or the odd complete tv series (barney miller!) but the deluge of stuff to watch (and im picky!) keeps me knee deep in shows/movies, I don't burn stuff anymore, I can generally track it down if I need it

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is a very impressive system! We don't have that many cores or that much storage at my video mastering office! (We have about 200TB and maybe 12 cores at most.)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Dang!

With my Google Fiber one gigabit connection, I could really put something like that to use.

9. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I watch the “free with ads” movies on VUDU. That’s about it.

10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I haven't bought physical media in years. My CD collection just sits there. My DVD collection was mostly given away. No Blu-rays.

Spotify/Prime/Netflix all the way baby.

Trust me, not having loads of stuff around you is nice. Less to worry about. It's still out there. There will never be a time in your history that mankind has lost every single copy of The Emoji Movie and you have the only 4K Criterion copy left.

Let it go...let it go...

Spitfire likes this.
  11. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

My "streaming" method is to rip the CD and put it on my phone. That's for work and walks. For the authentic sound experience, I play the home system. I don't subscribe to a music service.

For TV I've cut the cable and have Netfix/Hulu/Prime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.