Street Legal-Dylan’s most underrated release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Nov 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

new mix is better. under the red sky is also a personal favorite.

The MEZ, MRamble and stef1205 like this.
  2. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

The 1999 CD and the 2003 Hybrid - SACD contain the remixed version. The CAC present the remastered original mix for the first time. I don't know why they re-released the original mix as the remix is far superior in most people's opinions.

Shvartze Shabbos and I333I like this.
  3. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarifying. The SACD is 2 channel only, right? No 5.1?

4. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

You're welcome. It is stereo.

5. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I would say Shot of Love is more underrated.

abzach, The MEZ, The Cat 3 and 3 others like this.
  6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Disposable. The big gypsy band caravan thing worked on DESIRE and the subsequent tour, but here it all falls apart.

7. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Can't seem to find the ratings?

Baby Stop Crying was ruined for me when a mag described it as "Bobby stop whining", they had a point.

Senor is fantastic though.

I like the 78 tour but this album not so much. Turned out to be transitional (aren't they all?) on the way to Slow Train Coming which is more cohesive if a little unpalatable in places.

Tim

Spencer R likes this.
  8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Desire was a small ensemble relative to Street Legal, where you had several backup singers, an expanded supporting cast of musicians, including horns, and a totally different feel that Dylan was going for. On Desire he wanted a more exotic, world-music type of flavor, influenced by the Levant. Street Legal was more straight ahead rock influenced by blues and gospel, a much different sound. I would say it was just as cohesive as Desire, if not as inspired. I don't get the comment that "it all falls apart."

I333I likes this.
  9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Cluttered and Unmemorable. A low in his catalog.

10. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

The main problem was His Bobness insisted on recording the band live to a mobile truck, resulting in bleed across all tracks which compromised any real repair work, ie the drums would bleed onto the horn tracks, etc etc. The whole album was recorded in around 4 days if I recall correctly.

11. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

The first sessions for Desire consisted of a huge band, bigger than the 78 band. As Eric Clapton said, 'I had to get out of the studio quickly, it was madness in there.' I think only 'Joey' and 'Rita Mae' survived from these initial sessions.

12. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

World Gone Wrong is one of my fav Dylan albums. Not sure if that is anywhere near a universal opinion.

13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Each track would still have the polarity issue in addition to the other issues. I still blame the engineers. It's not wrong to go for a "live" recording as an approach to large ensemble, but it has to be mic'ed correctly, with opportunities for spotlighting, if necessary but otherwise minimal mic'ing.

Yes but for the finished product only Hurricane had an expanded lineup of a couple additional backup singers. The rest is best characterized as a small ensemble. The only real expansion relative to most of Dylan's previous output was Rivera's violin.

14. Thank you. Looks like I have have both versions then. :tiphat:

15. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Has the remix ever been pressed to vinyl??

16. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i dont know if shot of love is more underrated but shot of love is a killer album.

17. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would say it might be. I’ll have to give that one a deeper look.

18. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

I feel that way about Good As I Been To You

19. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

I too would like to know this. Simply Vinyl released this in 2000 and did a repress in 2010 I m not sure if it is the remix version

20. Jaycat

Jaycat Forum Resident

This is one of those albums that time has vindicated. As noted, it was slagged upon release. I remember buying it at the time and looking at each other and going, WTF is this?!? Now it's one of my top 5 Dylan records.

palisantrancho likes this.
  21. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

World Gone Wrong and John Wesley Harding, my top 2.

Spencer R likes this.
  22. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

The Street Legal 1999 remix/remaster is light-years better than any previous version, including the original vinyl. Our gracious host notably disagrees, however.

Also, if you switch the original side openers, then flip the sides, it front-loads the good stuff & puts unredeemable crap like "New Pony" and "Baby, Stop Crying" toward the end. Do this with the '99 remix & you've got a much better listening experience than the original LP gave us back in '78.

1. "Changing of the Guards"
    2. "Señor (Tales of Yankee Power)"
    3. "True Love Tends to Forget"
    4. "We Better Talk This Over"
    5. "Where Are You Tonight? (Journey Through Dark Heat)"
    6. "Is Your Love in Vain?"
    7. "New Pony"
    8. "No Time to Think"
    9. "Baby, Stop Crying"
    You're welcome. :tiphat:

Blue Note and enro99 like this.
  23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

He recorded Another Side of Bob Dylan in one tipsy night. I’m not looking for Dark Side of the Moon sonic perfection from a Bob Dylan album. And, as noted above, the remix/remaster of this album sounds pretty good to me.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Well said. In hindsight, from its introduction of the female backing vocalists to its lyrical concerns, Street Legal has way in more common with Slow Train Coming and the subsequent born again albums than was apparent at the time.

Davido likes this.
  25. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I like John Lennon's Mind Games and Dylan's Street Legal. What in the heck is wrong with me?

illwind64 and majorlance like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.