Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK) PART TWO

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 29, 2022.

1. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

thanks. I’ll follow your procedure as this is what my gut was telling me!

Gjo likes this.
  2. R.T.Firefly

R.T.Firefly Forum Resident

It's safe. I asked AN about it some time ago and they confirmed. I have since swapped cables on powered Oto and Oto Sig dozens of times. Just make sure to turn the volume down or switch to Tape when disconnecting to avoid a sudden burst of noise.

Whether it is the optimal option is another matter. Short term it's useful to check immediate differences. But I found it worked best for me to keep a specific set of cables playing for a few days, getting to know it's characteristic, getting used to the tone, speed etc. In other words, listen to the the whole package and see if you like how the music flows. Otherwise it's easy to get lost in comparing how a specific bass twang or a trumpet note sounds. It's pretty much the same as with tube rolling - the fact that you notice improvements in individual areas does not mean you will like how the music plays.

dunkyboy, Chris.p.l, Encore and 3 others like this.
  3. finn

finn Forum Resident

Personally I would not change cables whilst the amp is on as the possibility of shorting the speaker cables is relatively high.

4. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

for whatever matters because I think each use case is a bit different, I switched the amp off. At the moment my Oto is at a lower part of my rack and not very accessible from the back. This means I take a good 5 minutes to swap cables anyway. So switch off, swap cables and then on. As Gjo said, the amp is still relatively warm, and I started listening to music again after waiting for another 1-2 minutes. This is definitely not a proper A-B in any of the cases, but luckily it was not necessary this time. Results were quite clear.

dunkyboy likes this.
  5. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

Hello,

Here is my experience with AN speaker cables...
    About a month ago I came back from my Dealer with 2x 3m of SPE Bi-Wire (so far 2x 3m Lexus Bi-Wire).
    At first I thought it was skinny and unnatural (I was happy to prefer the Lexus for financial reasons :) ! ).
    I then, after around 300 hours, put the Lexus back, I found it more euphonic at first, but quickly I missed the brightness of the SPE (with the SPE it's as if the background of the scene was not blocked by a wall).
    I then wondered, is it the synergy cable / speakers (Lexus / AN-J SPE) that is not great??
    My Dealer then lent me a pair of AN-E LX Hemp for a full copper test... the AN-E LX Hemp is absolutely brilliant in my house and it's not a full copper problem since the AN-E LX gives me more pleasure with the 2x 3m Bi-Wire SPE!
    I think what really forced the switch to SPE wiring was the OTO Silver and not the internal speaker wiring.
    I now have the certainty that Bi-Wire SPE is the way to go... remains the questioning on the exchange of AN-J SPE SE loudspeakers for AN-E SPE HE... there is always a way to follow :p

dunkyboy, Marchino, Gerd and 6 others like this.
  6. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I did find the answer. The interconnect version are shielded. The digital version are not, to minimize capacitance. Also the positioning of the internal strands is a bit different.

dunkyboy, Gerd, jonwoody and 2 others like this.
  7. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

If you found this information on a website, would you please post a link so others can reference it going forward?

Lowrider75 likes this.
  8. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Sorry, my dealer asked the factory.

9. Morten V. Hansen

Morten V. Hansen Well-Known Member

I did indeed get a replacement set last week, so the WE's are pushed into the future once again.
    Switched digital and analogue signal cables from Vx to Sogon on whim, instead.
    It may be overkill for my currently cdt two, but it's beautiful

10. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

That's quite a whim!

11. Morten V. Hansen

Well, each run is only half a meter and the shop refunded the Vx at a reasonable rate. But yes, quite a whim, still

jonwoody, nige harris and Gjo like this.
  12. R.T.Firefly

R.T.Firefly Forum Resident

Well, come on! It's been a full day! What does it do in your system compared to Vx?

dunkyboy likes this.
  13. Morten V. Hansen

The Vx is very good, but there more body and presence (soundstage) with the Sogon.
    "More gets through" is how the dealer put it (that sold it ;-))

14. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

A short update on attentuators making scratchy noises: I removed the lid of my preamp and blew canned air into the attenuator. That helped A LOT! I had previously tried blowing into it from the outside but that didn't really help.

Don Parkhurst, dunkyboy, JanJ and 3 others like this.
  15. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

I've read a few posts from users who did this and reported excellent results. Sometimes we forget that simple maintenance procedures can yield large benefits. Cleaning interconnect and speaker cable connectors, for example.

I recall one person, who is a service technician, highly recommend Electrosolve spray to clean as well as blow.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    Encore and jonwoody like this.
  16. finn

finn Forum Resident

It’s not subtle and not a bad analogy.
    See if there is a Telos dealer in Copenhagen who may have the cable conditioner available.

Morten V. Hansen likes this.
  17. SetANE

SetANE Forum Resident

m6 RIAA review after a month or so. daily use so maybe 60 hours of playing on it and say 240 hours of being on.

[​IMG]

also shout out to @finn for mounting my tt3 on wall with this custom made shelf. the tt3 is amazing. jinro also crazy good.

M6 went thru all the stages we see with "burning in".

its debut was sensational. tone and dynamics were highlights.
    fell off cliff a bit but dynamics still wild.
    after a little while (week 1 to 2 lets say) it developed a tone that put you right off. so you could hear all this stuff but you thought "yes but also no thank you?".

right now it is glorious. all stock tubes as delivered at this point.

it is even quieter than when i first got it and the resolution has gone up again. does not sounds hifi. i suspect it does many hifi things but i don't experience it that way. i experience it as being very immediate and transparent. i can get to the record in a new way and get more.

the tone of voice (hearing what someone is singing with a feeling that you are getting the meat of it) continues to impress. hearing a whole band pour into a song and being able to hear them resonating off each other.

to contrast the M6 with the Abbas EL84 RIAA - the M6 feels like it is less in the way but provides a lot more (numbers make no sense in music but i want to say a thousand times more). it simply passes what comes out of the SUT to the AMP. everything comes off the record. everything. a guitar note you never heard before is now part of a "part" that someone is playing off on left speaker and you can hear tone and texture from that note and the other notes that surround it. dynamics are now an end product of this sort of micro texture. i imagine an alligator carved into a coffee table like so.

[​IMG]

bob dylan's time out of mind is a revelation of warmth, croakey voices, jangly guitars, deep bass and the ineffable. deep mysterious art.

18. finn

finn Forum Resident

I now have another turntable wall mount to do, more challenging and hopefully as well received.
    The “falling off the cliff” is standard procedure , I wish it wasn’t and one day I will just tell someone, No you can’t have it yet, it needs more time!
    (Actually I did it 3 weeks ago with a pair of E’s and they turned out to be the nicest pair of SPe HE’s I’ve heard.)
    I like your system, it’s going to be a lot of fun for a very long time.

19. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

@SetANE, what's intended for the shelf below the turntable?

20. dsockel

dsockel Forum Resident

On the hunt for 2.5ms of SpX speaker cable is anyone knows of a pair.

21. finn

finn Forum Resident

When I first sent the photos of the finished rack to Steve I situated an S9 on that bottom shelf and the TT3 as is and it was merely a representation of what was possible, be it power supply or stepup. It was possible to do just one shelf but this has a little more flexibility. The next one will just be a single shelf but sit above an M6 and hang attached to 2 edges of a bay window but with the complication of a wall heater mounted behind the equipment racks and hence the need to do the alternative construct. Again floor bounce is an issue and this is with a TT2 deluxe. All of the timber used will be from reclaimed Kauri Pine floorboards from the house and match the existing racks used. It’s a great brain exercise to do these and make something that works and aesthetically pleasing for all parties.

22. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    That's it, the problem of choosing speaker cables is solved :righton:
    Happy New Year everyone!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  23. Marchino

Marchino Forum Resident

Be carefull whit canned air, keep the bottle straight up, otherwise a lot off moister comes out and can even freeze things. I heard from some one using canned air spray to clean his camera chip and damaged it. Don't know if it counds for the attentuators too but it might do harm.

24. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Congratulations!

NielsSS and jonwoody like this.
  25. roole

roole Forum Resident

Beautiful speakers. Did you get those new or secondhand? What is the price tag for Spe Signatures at the moment?