Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Who in the US knows about AN turntables? I've got questions about the TT-1 and TT-2 as they are at the moment but also the tonearms.

moremusic likes this.
  2. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I had the same issue with my P1-Se Signature, the volume pot was really noisy. It's been great since the repair though.

3. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

What did you finally do that eliminated the hum from the amplifiers?

4. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Replaced bulk HV capacitors, and rebuilt output transformers.

Footsurg and JanJ like this.
  5. howiebrou

howiebrou Forum Resident

I had my volume pot repaired (replaced?) at the AN factory in December though I am not sure how old my Meishu Silver is as it was bought used.

6. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Now, this makes no sense - My OTO is 19 years old and is perfect. I had the M1 Phono in for review for 6 months (which is the preamp version of the OTO - same volume knobs/pots ) and it was dead silent - no noise or any issue at all. They've been selling OTOs for something like 27+ years.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  7. JanJ

JanJ Forum Resident

As volume pots used in OTO, Meishu, P1, etc. are bought by Audio Note from an OEM/supplier as complete component (unlike AN's new stepped attenuators), Audio Note (or any audio manufacturer) is at mercy of that suppliers quality control.

Let's say Audio Note has bought the volume pots from a supplier X, for years, and the pots have had no quality issues.
    If there is a new quality problem with the supplier X's pots that can develop over the time in use, Audio Note can't detect it at factory with normal testing (AN won't have robots turning volume pots 24/7 for a week to find a possible over-the-time-fault as they trusts the track record with supplier X that has accumulated over the years and such testing is the job of the supplier)

Then in starts coming the reports from user and dealers of noisy volume pots. What can Audio Note (or any audio manufacturer) do?
    - Inform dealers of the issue and how to proceed with their customers.
    - Replace the volume pots for user bought products.
    - Call the supplier X and tell them of the faulty batch of volume pots. Get things fixed and good batch of volume pots again.
    - Change supplier X to supplier Y if the issue isn't solved with supplier X.

There are many ways of how supplier X has supplied a bad batch; decision to save in manufacturing costs by lowering their quality control or changing into cheaper materials and not detecting a problem the decisions made. Personnel change within supplier X leading to mistakes. Or going further down; their supplier of materials for making the volume pots decided to save money and supplied below-par materials that went undetected by supplier X, or just human mistake there as well etc.
    Or it could be that the supplier X in all good will thought they'd improved the volume pot, but did not detect over-the-time fault coming with design/material change as in theory it shouldn't have been possible.

These kind of possible supply chain problems affect all manufacturers in all fields. Bad batches happen and over-the-time developing faults are hard to detect, especially with supplier's products that the manufacturer has had good long lasting relationship.

This might be one of the reasons why Audio Note did go for their own stepped attenuator design with their own switch design in it. They are in much more control of constant quality. Although they are much more expensive than OEM volume pots and thus won't be likely seen in below Level 3 products.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  8. Tourswede

Tourswede Forum Resident

I think in context I should also add that AN went above and beyond to sort my amplifier. Yes… faulty volume pots But 1st grade care to get it sorted trouble free.

9. Richard Austen

Which is the most important thing. I have friends in Canada who bought Volkswagen vehicles and had mechanical troubles and the dealers blamed the customer. "VW doesn't break down - you must have done something" was the reply. Needless to say they have never bought another VW and Scotty Kilmer the 50 years mechanic always tells people to avoid the "endless money pits" along with Mercedes, B&W and Audi. Albeit luxury brands are probably better if it is under warranty - out of warranty prepared to be screwed with your pants on.

jusbe and JanJ like this.
  10. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

And yet there are several people on this thread alone that have had the same issue.
    I really like my Oto but this issue is annoying. It’s currently working without issue atm so let’s hope it stays that way.

Andrew Mackay likes this.
  11. Marchino

Marchino Forum Resident

nowadays lots of manufactories spend less time on testing, it’s cheaper to bring it into the market and replace stuff when it breaks down. That’s a way to find out were weaknesses and problems are. So manufacture find’s out cheap, let the customers do their test for them, this way they can bring there products earlier on the market instead of loosing time on testing.
    my BMW dealer told me for example that it goes this way whit their helmets which BMW don’t produce themselves.

12. Marchino

Marchino Forum Resident

it happened whit my Meishu volume pod but I have to say that I used my Meishu every day for many years. So that something breaks down once in a while I find acceptable.

JanJ, jonwoody and BettisDad like this.
  13. JanJ

JanJ Forum Resident

I guess that is very much true for ie. quickly changing miniaturised electronics field: like smartphones and such. Easier and cheaper to replace the whole unit than start to fix it.

Much tougher for hand built gear that actually costs something to make in wages and components, plus weights +20kg :D
    And Audio Note seems to truly take their time with R&D before launching new products, I think TT3 took like 3-4 years from the first prototype pictures to being available for purchase. I do respect that compared to lots of other audio companies that roll-out slightly 'better' version of their products every year to keep sales running.
    Audio Note is clearly run and steered by people who care about music an quality, not by Excel-pushers in cheap suits, nor faceless shareholders, if it was, we'd see the same yearly v1/v2/v3 product rumba.

My Meishu Silver is 2005 model, so 17 years with no problems with the volume pot or other switches.

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Yes, I loved the sound so much I attempted to buy them. When I found out they were Vincent's personal speakers I decided to not ask and take a guy's speakers.
    I know the E/D hemp are downplayed in favor of the more expensive versions but these were simply spectacular sounding.

15. Maya and Me

Maya and Me Well-Known Member

Greetings! Thought I'd mention that I'm selling my Tonmeister Silver Signature Line. Love the amp, but since I got it I've been listening to a lot more vinyl, so I bought a new Tonmeister SS Phono that's now ready for delivery! I haven't listed it yet - wanted to give this forum a heads up first - so please feel free to contact me if interested. Cheers!

Marchino, jonwoody and NapaBob like this.
  16. Richard Austen

Here are their dealers in the USA

https://www.audionote.co.uk/north-america

17. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

You will love it - the phono stage is excellent!

NaturesDub likes this.
  18. vivling

vivling Well-Known Member

I wonder why you don’t just get a m2 Riaa for the tonmeister SS, tonmeister SS phono has the a M2 riaa built in but it won’t be as good as a separate phono stage. Or maybe I am wrong? If tonmeister SS has M3 RIAA built in, it would be better.

19. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I'm not sure about M2 vs M3, but the comment I got from the factory was that the built in phono stage was exactly matched with the preamp stage while with the separates, it needed to match any generic preamp. All I can say is that is sounds lovely.

20. Richard Austen

The Meishu Phono is a full M2 Phono preamp and a full P3Silver power amp in one box. The advantage is cost and shorter internal cables.

The regular basic Meishu Phono Tonmeister is one of the best-integrated amplifiers I have heard - you have the best version of it.

Congrats - hope you love it.

JanJ likes this.
  21. Nickje

Nickje Well-Known Member

I would like to upgrade the fuses in my equipment. Now I see that there are two fuses per unit. Since the fuses are quite expensive I was wondering which circuits the F1 and F2 are related to? To determine which one I want to replace..

It concerns my OTO Phono SE Signature and Dac3.1x/II.

The offer of the fuse runs until the end of the month, so I must have made a choice before Friday.

22. Mr T.

Mr T. Well-Known Member

Sorry can’y help you on the fuse issue, I just use boring old Bussman fuses, which are probably fake...

Made me wonder why AN don’t make their own?

23. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

Since fuses are not in the signal path, I really can't see how putting in a "better fuse" will make any difference sonically at all. A fuse performs a specific job. That is to blow in the event of overcurrent. If one were to create a fuse with exotic materials such as silver wire or pure copper or whatever, then there is the issue of how "fast" those materials will blow in the event of overcurrent. The fuse should be a "fast blow" in most applications to instantaneously disrupt current to the circuit in an overcurrent situation so as to protect the circuit sufficiently. Plain tin and lead alloy have proven for over a century to be really good at blowing fast. Why mess with that?

BettisDad likes this.
  24. Maya and Me

My understanding is precisely the same as NapaBob's - that the phono stage was designed specifically for the Tonmeister and thus exceeds what could be done with separates. I considered buying an M3 or M5, but when I listened to the SS Phono I placed an order for one on the spot.

jonwoody likes this.
  25. Maya and Me

It's funny, Richard, when they were first available, I bought the basic Phono Tonmeister and thoroughly enjoyed it. I then had an opportunity to upgrade to the Line SS and wow! - a huge step forward in every way. Except for no phono stage. So here I am! The Tonmeister really is amazing.