Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. finn

finn Forum Resident

It actually amazes me that so many older tubes actually sound half reasonable given that use for audio equipment was low down in the general area of priority when they were in manufacture in the so called "golden age of audio tubes".
    Much more important was reliability, accuracy of gain and stability under load, midrange palpability would have to wait to be invented.

celester340, jonwoody, kessi and 2 others like this.
  2. celester340

celester340 Forum Resident

I'm just going to say it, but guitars sound very good with the tele ECC82! What I'm missing in a bit of bass, this lil fella is making up in some strings!

I also wanted to know the biggest contributor towards the sound in the soro. Is it the driver tubes (6SL7) or is it the single ECC82?

I always wanted to understand this. Can someone throw some light?

3. celester340

Nothing interesting happening in the last four days? :) Everyone is busy enjoying the music!

jonwoody and Norman Bennett like this.
  4. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Yep!

5. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Nope, too hot in Copenhagen these days. Close to 30 degrees C. My listening room is on the top floor, directly under a black slate tile roof :shake:

6. Norman Bennett

Norman Bennett Forum Resident

It has been quiet lately so I figure this is a good time for my first post. Thanks to slcaudiophile I have now transformed my audio setup to an almost all AN UK system: Jinro, AN-E/SpE HE Signatures, M5 RIAA, SUT 3, IO 1, CD 4.1x. Still using my Linn LP 12 though. Everything is still breaking in but this has been an almost spiritual awakening! I also have to thank all the contributors to this thread for convincing me to part with my money....
    But why can't I stop thinking about upgrades already.....

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What tubes in your Jinro? Just curious. Any change in tube brand radically changes the sound..

8. Acapella48

Speaking of tubes ... There was a post awhile back by @Mr. T concerning 300B options. Dealers most likely have had the accessibility and resources to try different tubes.
    Just wondering by chance has anyone had the opportunity to compare new production WE 300B vs Takatsuki TA-300B vs Audio Note 4300E vs the stock Psvane?

Considering that at some point, like my ill-fated stock 5U4GB, tubes fail and in the not too distant future, I'll need to consider purchasing another pair of 300B's.

Audio Note offer's the shortest warranty which is understandable given Audio Note doesn't manufacturer the tubes but the 5-year warranty of the WE's arguably makes for a strong selling point.

9. finn

finn Forum Resident

Not surprisingly they all sound different and depending on what you most value in what they reproduce, you can find a favourite. It is worthwhile listening to all 3 of the top shelf tubes if you can but do not listen to a pair straight out of the box. Minimum 200 hours on them otherwise it’s a waste of time.
    Just to reiterate, the WE is not a straight 5 year warranty( pretty obvious fine print) but it’s not to bad as a bonus.

jonwoody likes this.
  10. Norman Bennett

Norman Bennett Forum Resident

The Jinro came with the AN 4242 E, then I recently changed the signal tubes to Amperex ECC82 and the Tung-Sol 5687... came with GEs

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Thanks.

12. celester340

Great so since everyone is enjoying the music, and we’re all back on the forum, I’d appreciate some help please. I’ve found some nice RCA red base 5691. Which tube is the biggest contributor to the sound in the Soro. Or for that matter, any amp. Thanks!

13. celester340

Damn when u said 30 degrees I was like what? :laugh: That’s a beautiful day for where we live! Gets nasty hot here sometimes, all the way to 50-55 degrees in some places.

jonwoody likes this.
  14. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Yeah, I know it gets worse elsewhere. But for us, who are not used to it, it is hot. Moreover, most houses don’t have AC, so those 30 degrees C are also indoors. In my case amplified by being directly under a black-tiled roof …

jonwoody and Fred Hansen like this.
  15. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

Yup, AC is uncommon in northern European cities such as Copenhagen and Berlin (they're getting more common in Berlin, though). I'm on an island in Croatia right now and it's warmer than in northern Europe but more pleasant because of AC and less humidity

Encore and jonwoody like this.
  16. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Where I grew up in western New York State in the USA, it was within 15 miles of Lake Ontario, and 50 miles of Lake Erie...so it was always very humid. We had no AC. In the summer, when it got hot (mid to high 80s F), it seemed much hotter. In the winters, it was bitterly cold.

I had several bands in those years, and we often rehearsed in the attic of our home. No AC. No heat. It seemed we were either drenched in sweat, or freezing cold wearing heavy winter coats. It was rarely "comfortable". We didn't care. We were playing music.

Good memories.

17. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Why not experiment? I think you'll gain the most knowledge from experience. Start with the preamp tube(s) and work your way to the power tubes. Take your time and have fun. Try not to change too much stuff at one given time. Your preference of tubes can be subjective given your specific tastes too. I haven't touched the tubes in my SORO in quite away... I actually couldn't tell you what's in there at the moment with out looking....

jonwoody and celester340 like this.
  18. celester340

Oh yes! I’ve managed to get quite a few tubes actually and have this real unnecessary urge to tube roll! Well I’m glad I know someone now who has a soro. It’s this damn itch to change stuff, buy new stuff! Sheesh. I remember the days when I was just happy with my aiwa twin cassette player. Ignorance was bliss. Today there’s just too much information. Right now I’ve only got the 12AU7 NOS telefunken and have kept the others untouched. Have done about 20 hours on it. Will wait about another month before I decide if the telefunken will stay or not. The next will be a brimar.

ive noticed one thing though…. The telefunken makes Spotify sound like absolute nonsense! And good string and acoustic music on apple or tidal, keeps improving with every passing day the new tube burns in. It’s honestly quite noticeable. I thought it wouldn’t be, but I’m beginning to think that the tube definitely needs some time to sound its best. Fingers crossed.

Joe Spivey and jonwoody like this.
  19. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Hah thanks you just brought back a lovely memory for me being at Syracuse U in various attics watching our friends band no AC pretty limited heat but we were always too wasted to care. Those were the days!

Lowrider75 and Gjo like this.
  20. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

I graduated from SU. Small world!

Lowrider75 and jonwoody like this.
  21. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Wow small world indeed class of '91 Newhouse!

Lowrider75 likes this.
  22. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

‘83 Newhouse.

Lowrider75 and jonwoody like this.
  23. Acapella48

Quite true:

From their website:

Is there a warranty included with the 300B?
    Yes. End Users receive a standard ninety (90) day warranty with each tube. If the included warranty card is filled and returned to us by post within ten (10) days of purchase, the warranty is extended to five (5) years.

What is the useful life expectancy of the 300B?
    The Western Electric 300B is rated for an average life expectancy of 40,000 hours when operated within published specifications. As far as we know, no replica 300B available today comes close to this life expectancy.

24. BCer

BCer Active Member

Hi all, as I seem not to be getting a response from Audio Note directly, I am wondering if anyone knows what stock 6x5 and 5687WB AN uses in their DACs? My 4.1 balanced dac is making some noise that sound suspiciously like a rectifier tube.

Also, does anyone know what 7044 tube used in the M6?
    Thanks.

25. BCer

BCer Active Member

Sorry, missed the previous response to my questions. Apologies for the duplication.