Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

What is the current price tag of the Jinro Schochu?

2. roole

roole Forum Resident

Before the increase of prices it was 29000 Eur.

Encore likes this.
  3. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

Hello,

I'm around 300h with my new HE SPE, sometimes it starts to make music ... and it goes.
    Is the placement of SPE HE Hemp the same in the room SPE or do I have to repeat this difficult and tiring operation?
    Thank you

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Gerd likes this.
  4. Gerd

Gerd Well-Known Member

Hi Chris, I got AN-E SPE HE. Not yet on 300h (more around 150h) and I have the same question. Sometimes I am happy and sometime I wonder whether I bought the right gear...

Anybody here, who can diffuse concerns of Chris and myself?

5. Marchino

Marchino Forum Resident

I had two pair of E’s, LX HE and SPe HE and both didn’t make me happy.
    The LX were from the dealer and I kept them until I got my SPE HE.
    Had them wired whit ISIS and als SPE cables and tried other cables too.
    In my situation they were boomy. I had them at least more then 1 metre from the wall and still to much low.
    Like many on this forum I started putting them into the corner witch only made the boomy problem larger.
    I believe it strongly dependents on you listening room, shape, size etc.
    In my case smaller speakers do it right

6. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

My AN-E SPe HE sounded great out-of-their-cartons. They sound excellent in corners where they are now, or pulled more into the room. I don't recall a substantial break-in period during which their sound varied much.

I would think placing new AN-E where previous AN-E were placed would be the default.

@Acapella48 installed new AN-E SPe HE recently. Perhaps he'll comment about his observations.

As one awaiting AN-E SPx Alnico, the reports from @Gerd and @Chris.p.l are a bit concerning.

scobb likes this.
  7. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

This ...
    Sorry to hear you're dissatisfied with your AN speakers.

In general, you select a speaker based on room dimensions. I view Audio Note's placement instructions as a "guideline" because every room's acoustics are going to be different.

"experimentation is vitally important to achieve optimum results in any given environment and over time as you familiarize yourself with the sound of the speakers in your room you will be able to refine and optimize the set up"

The above quote was taken from here: http://www.audionote.eu/usermanual/en/loudspeaker/ane.pdf

It's also important to fill the stands. Room treatments in some cases may be required because the sound you hear in any room is a combination of direct and reflected sound. Direct sound travels straight from your speakers to your ears.
    Reflected sound bounces off your walls, floor, ceiling, and furniture before it reaches your ears. Reflected sound can add a pleasant spaciousness to your sound. But it can also distort sound by making certain notes sound louder while canceling out others.

I had a pair of AN J/SPe Hemp before getting a pair of AN E-SPe HE's. The J's although sounding good were not a good match for the size of room that they occupied. My dealer actually delivered and set the speakers up in my home, including helping me fill the stands with aquarium sand, installing the spikes, placement, etc.

EDIT: My AN E-SPe HE's are still breaking in but as @Gjo mentioned, they sounded great straight out of the box. Even the dealer and his wife commented on the sound.

dunkyboy, jonwoody and Gjo like this.
  8. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Well, since you're in the US, maybe your house in made from wood and drywall? And with Marchino in Amsterdam, his house may be made from brick or concrete. That would make all the difference. The Copenhagen AN dealer says that the AN-E HE SPe starts out boomy and then gradually becomes leaner. But if your house is wood, then more bass will escape the room, and the problem may be less pronounced. But like you say, it's very room dependent. I have also heard AN-E HE SPe sound great straight out of the box in a brick house (but that room somehow has golden dimensions--every speaker has great bass in there).

But once they are broken in, yes, I would also think that the same position should work. But guys, I can't repeat this enough--you have to give them several hundred hours! Probably closer to 500 than to 200. If at all possible, have them play bass-heavy music when you're not in the room.

As for your Alnico, I'm afraid I think that you have a difficult time ahead of you, especially if your house is wood :shake: The Copenhagen dealer says that the Alnicos break in with the opposite problem compared to the HE SPe. I.e. they start out too lean, and only gradually the sound becomes fuller. That perfectly describes the break-in process of my Alnicos. My listening room is on the top floor (see photo a couple of pages back), and it also has a thin wall behind the speakers. The Alnicos were practically unlistenable in my room for at least the first 2-300 hours. You can find my description of the break-in process elsewhere in the thread but if at all possible, you will want to break them in before inserting them into your system.

I put them back in my system after some 500 hours, and from there on I have never looked back. This is my end-game speaker.

9. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Our house is wood frame, lathe and plaster walls, raised wood floors.

Our AN-E SPe HE sound full in the upper bass (depending on the recording). I like it. Some may find it too plump. Placing them on Townshend platforms and moving them away from the walls reduced bass plumpness somewhat, but I preferred the corner-placed sound with sand-filled AN-E stands spiked to the floor.

10. Marchino

Marchino Forum Resident

Me and my dealer really tried everything to make it work, I loved the Makassar whit the blue woofer look so much.
    While my eyes were happy my ears kept on protesting to the boomy sound. I had a fully AN system so that couldn’t be the problem.
    My house is made of brick not wood and my sealing isn't that high which could be a or the problem. I kept the speakers for at least 2 years but finally I let them go.

dunkyboy and Fred Hansen like this.
  11. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

Mine are in a 27m2 stone room, arranged along a 6.5m wall and 3.4m apart, toe-in at 45 ° and 5cm from the rear wall.

12. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

What distance from the side walls?

In our room, the AN-E's corner that is nearest to the front wall (wall on which the loudspeakers are placed) is 22cm. The AN-E's corner nearest the side wall is 5.5cm. The AN-Es are angled to cross 1m in front of the listening position. I'd estimate 45 degrees or less.

Room is 13ft x 18ft. Speakers are on the 13ft wall. Ceiling is 8ft.

13. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

Side Wall in 1.30m, cross 1m in front of the listening position

Gjo likes this.
  14. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Is it possible to try your AN-E close to the side walls?

15. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

6m appart?? :faint:

16. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Worth a try, if you're open to it.

These are set on the room's long wall, yes?

17. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

Yes, on the long wall (6.5 x 4.4)
    My AN-J LX Hemp disappear completely at this position.
    I have tried several times, with AN-K and AN-J to lay out lengthwise, it does not work well (room frequency response).
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to move them further away because of the length of my speaker cables.

18. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

If you're willing, I would suggest experimenting with them farther from the front wall (what you refer to as the rear wall). Up to 46cm.

Maintain the toe-in angle to cross 1m in front of the listening position. Use a laser guide aimed at a target 1m in front of the listening position to match toe-in angle. I have found precise placement to matter.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  19. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

I will try this!
    Many thanks for your help :righton:

Gjo likes this.
  20. SetANE

SetANE Forum Resident

i have my new AN-E HE Spe speakers about 5.5 m apart in a room which is thick brick walls, suspended timber floor, very high ceiling. they have been a revelation to me out of the box although pre-100 hours they did occasionally sound poor/dull. i do know what you mean about boominess and the AN-E. it is possible to have especially at start. i tend to find though that that refines over time (but playing some music loudish and for say 8 hours to loosen up speakers should help).

jonwoody likes this.
  21. SetANE

SetANE Forum Resident

5.5 m apart is fine by the way and in that position they are in corners and it creates a great sound and really couples to the room. corners are critical! i too had to buy excessively long speaker cables to achieve this and now that i am looking at buying audionote speaker cable i greatly regret this :)

jonwoody likes this.
  22. vivling

vivling Well-Known Member

the boom problem is caused by the the room period. I had a boom problem also but after I get the room treated. It went away. Bass is as solid as rock now

Acapella48 likes this.
  23. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Bass boom has many causes, including (but not limited to) speakers placed in a room bass mode, listening seat placed in a room bass mode, room dimensions and resulting reflection patterns, vibration transfer to the floor and walls, and lack of effective room treatment.

For an excellent discussion and dozens of useful tips, read Jim Smith’s “Get Better Sound”.

24. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

It's common to move the speakers during the break-in period

jonwoody, J.Uotila and Encore like this.
  25. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

Hello,

I pushed aside the AN-E SPE HE as much as possible, I am now 1.20m from the sides Walls (before 1.30), it's better, the sound is less "trapped" in the loudspeakers.
    I also tried to correct the Toe-in, it doesn't work for me, too much emphasis on the upper medium and a loss of consistency in the restitution, I lack the "binding agent".
    For information, at home I do not have a boomy restitution, what bothers me with the new AN-E SPE HE is the impression that it lacks expressiveness, as if the sound remained at the top speaker. I don't have this problem with the AN-J LX Hemp and with the AN-E SPE in the same room, that's why I wonder about the positioning in the room.