Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

Darko showed us the internals of the belt drive setup and also the dac, he was telling us how it had taken him seven years of continuous work to design the dac. Matrix was never mentioned .
    Whatever they decide, the sound is simply amazing.

I am in total agreement regarding the Meishu, especially with the new valves, which are unbelievable!

One thing which I certainly found interesting is the talk of their new field coil speakers.... Apparently they're a game changer according to my dealer and they're not going to be mortgage level expensive either

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Three quid, slcaudiophile and JanJ like this.
  2. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Isn't it a mash dac? Whatever that is, but I think that was what PQ mentioned in the panel discussion that somebody linked to in this thread a while back ...

3. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

I'm not sure, he said it was fully discreet, when he showed us inside, there was a panel of perfectly laid out resistors. It could well be "mash" whatever that is but neither Darko or PQ mentioned that, and ladder was mentioned but I can't remember who by. Sorry for the confusion

4. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

Who is this "Darko" you mention, not John Darko the reviewer, I assume. Just a bit confused :)

5. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

They do have a prototype of that, which sounds fantastic, according to a friend of mine who has heard it. It's also visible in one of the visit videos. It's probably that one that you heard. Not envious at all ... :D

6. rbholbrook

rbholbrook Forum Resident

7. rbholbrook

rbholbrook Forum Resident

Thanks BettisDad. Did they mention when the Belt-drive cdt might be available for purchase?

8. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

No unfortunately.

One thing of note was that it had panzerholz parts inside the transport mechanism, whether that is purely because its a prototype is anyone's guess.

9. gov

gov Forum Resident

Interestingly I was planning on asking more about this topic...I've heard the 2.1x sig fairly extensively and very impressed by it.

I was debating the 1.1x Sig and the 2.1x and was curious if folks who have heard all three could elaborate on what the differences they observed/heard? I understand the biggest (?) difference in the 1.1-2.1 series is the tube rectification? After that, the Sig adds better/upgraded caps, resistors and components correct?

I was thinking the 2.1x would be a good compromise but what I've been told and read here/elsewhere is the 2.1x signature is the sweet spot. Could a 2.1x be upgraded later to a 2.1x signature or is it not practical to even do so?

Appreciate details anyone can share around the differences between them.

10. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

I have had a TL0 V1 (which is considered better than the V2 due to power supply issues) for a few years and it is very nice, but Nick Gowan (who has them both) feels that the CDT4 is a better machine and more musical.

However, if I were upgrading right now, I would go to the CDt5 as the CDT4 would be too much of a sideways move for me and (current V3 prices) the new TL0 is about 50% more expensive (although I can't find a US price for CEC drive so comparisons may be somewhat suspect).

I would love to hear the ladder DAC and the new belt drive transport...

BTW, if you liked the TT3 at the California show, you owe yourself the chance to listen to it with a PSU3 and an IOGold/S9 combination. It is a world of difference

Richard Austen likes this.
  11. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

The moderator should consider closing this thread. It is simply too expensive!

Jim13, scobb, Raylinds and 10 others like this.
  12. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

You asked! :)

13. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

14. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

Would a AN UK 2.1x Sig be a step up from a ANK 4.1LE (built in 2009 with tons of black gates and more ANUK parts) ?

Encore and Donivey like this.
  15. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

The 2.1X-Signature is a gigantic sweet spot. I have one on display at The Audio Home, with a very expensive transport, and it sounds right up to that task. It simply sounds a lot better than any of AN's less expensive DACs, and Audio Note is very proud of it. I have never heard a 1.1x Signature, so I cannot comment about it vs the standard 2.1x or 1.1x. I reason I recommend the 1.1x Sig is to save money for now, then eventually upgrade to a 2.1x Sig. The used market for 1.1X Sig DACs is very strong, so planning this upgrade is a smart way to get into Audio Note sound inexpensively.

The factory does not do upgrades, but some Audio Note dealers do.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    gov and Encore like this.
  16. Peter Qvortrup

Peter Qvortrup Forum Resident

Ha ha funny! Some of you may even be able to do a better job than I, as I am getting a bit long in the tooth!

Peter

jsr, klonk and emenel like this.
  17. Peter Qvortrup

The topology is closer to a MaSC DAC that is true, really what we should call it is a discrete MaSC DAC not a ladder DAC.

Peter

Rolltide, Kray, spartree and 3 others like this.
  18. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I'm a big fan of AN UK gear but, since I'm retired I will have to live vicariously through this thread.

19. Andrew Mackay

Andrew Mackay Forum Resident

My first post on the most knowledgeable Audio Note forum anywhere.....

Having sold my OTO Phono SE Signature to fund a move to France, I’ve reached an audio cross roads. With a somewhat bizarre mix of AN equipment (AN-K SPe/AX-2s/CDP2.1x/II) and vintage (a refurbished Quad 303 from 1976 and a Concordant tube pre-amp, with separate PSU), where do I go next? While I don’t miss the OTO, I do miss AN - which is a brand I know and understand well.

Problem is, I have many interests/commitments and while I can dream of $20,000 AN-Es, common sense has to prevail some of the time.......

But, I’ve been thinking about jumping back on to the AN carousel, at Level 1 or 2, where I can be comfortable sonically and financially. The ever-helpful Martin Grennall at AN UK has been generous with his advice, covering variously the pros and cons of the new Cobra integrated and the IZero/RZero/II, both of which he says will partner really well my AN-Ks. But he’s also suggested the OTO Phono PP is a better amplifier and also when considering phono stages. I guess that also puts the OTO Phono SE in the frame. But then I like Richard Austen’s strategy of going the separates route, which takes us back to the IZero, with its separate DAC and phono stage..

My listening room is small, about 10 by 8 feet, with the listening position at 6 feet, so 8 watts will be plenty. For that reason, I’ve ruled out the Cobra.

Cost wise, there’s very little in it, with the OTO Phono SE at $4,650, the Phono PP $4,150 and the IZero/RZero II also at $4,150.

Which fork of the road should I take next?

20. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Alright, what is a MaSC DAC and how do I bolt it into my DAC 3.1x Balanced?

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Interesting they recommended the Oto PP. The PP versions of the Oto and Soro are like glowing fish at the bottom of the deepest ocean, I know they exist and I also know I'll never see one with my own eyes.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  22. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Going separates I mean separate preamp and power amp. The OTO can be purchased with or without phono stage on board. I would put the OTO Phono SE above an I-Zero integrated with a separate phono stage. Albeit this I suppose would depend on the phono stage.

My Audio Note dealer is pretty great. He tells me when his other customers are upgrading and waiting for a buyer so they can afford the next level. That's how I got my AN K/SPe. The fellow was looking to sell them to buy AN J/SEC.

So that is my advice. Audio Note only carries a 2 year warranty so buying new doesn't really benefit you a whole lot. You could probably talk to dealers and buy a secon hand M1 Phono preamp and P1SE power amp for less than a new OTO Phono SE. Only now you have a more flexible upgrade path. The OTO SE is an M1 and P1SE in one box.

Dealers are happy to help here because they want the bigger ticket guys anyway. So if they can help a buyer who is looking to spend $20k on AN J/SEC or buying a $30k Jinro...they'll be happy to help that buyer send gis M1 or M2 to you. You get a good price and arguably better sound for your money, ex owner upgrades, dealer makes money. Everyone wins. Talk to those dealers.

The only real problem with the AN integrateds is that they have no ability to upgrade. No pre in or preouts like a lot of other brands. Because stereo equipment is so expensive it is very hard to go from an OTO to say M3 pream and a level 3 power amp. The OTO Phono SE is level 2 so jumping to level 3 and being a really worthwhile upgrade is basically going from $4k to $20k. Ouch.

If the OTO had pre in. Then you could buy an M3 and still use the OTO as power amp until you can afford the power amp later.

This is why I generally recommend at the outset to pay a bit more and get the M1 Phono SE and P1SE over the OTO. Or if you have power amp lying around an M2 phono SE and use even a SS power amp. Dirt cheap on the used market.

Indeed, Audio Note M2 phono SE and pair it to my budget KingKo KA used as a power amp beats an OTO. You have a way better preamp, and the Kingko is an EL84 amp that can later be used as a headphone amp or in a second system when you can afford an Empress or Quest or whatever.

The Kingko isn't AN but it is a really nice do it all amp that serves multiple uses. It also has US distribution now.

I try to plan ahead as much as possible. Separates are the way to go. If you know you will just buy one amp and keep it until you die then integrated makes sense...but who are we all kidding. You have an OTO you want to try a Meishu. Then you hear level 5.

Andrew Mackay likes this.
  23. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I tell people that the only reason that an Oto PP exists is to demonstrate how much better SET sounds. This might be wrong information, because I have never seen or heard an Audio Note PP anything... but I don't think I want to. :confused:

Wait... I am trying to remember... is the EL34 Cobra PP or SET? Because I did hear that and it was wonderful.

24. Peter Qvortrup

Good question, the early prototype we showed need a fair amount of further work to ensure it is reliable and optimised sonically and that takes time, so I don't think we will see anything this year.

Peter

25. Peter Qvortrup

Hi Spartree, MaSC is more akin to a Matrix than a ladder if that helps?

We will be offering upgrades to most of our DACs, but whether it is economical to upgrade a DAC3.1x Balanced is too early to say.

Peter

spartree likes this.