Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Andrew Mackay

Andrew Mackay Forum Resident

Perhaps it defies Levelling:D?

2. Andrew Mackay

Andrew Mackay Forum Resident

You're right there. Thanks for the clarification, Richard.

3. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

TT3 Turntable has arrived - Playing a modestly Recorded LP - Tom Petty "Full Moon Fever".

Two words

Holy f...!!

That is all TT3 with PSU1 Power Supply

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shiver, Don Parkhurst, james and 17 others like this.
  4. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Now that is a power supply.:D

JanJ likes this.
  5. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Congrats, this is awesome. Also, seeing that harbour brings back memories. I was in Hong Kong in 2012 and had a great time: Hong Kong

6. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wish I had your photography skills. :)

7. Chivas7

Chivas7 Well-Known Member

That looks awesome Richard, congratulations. And it looks like such a relaxing space, I hope it brings you a lot of pleasure!

8. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Congratulations, Richard. Looks great. Now get your record collection shipped from Canada as soon as possible--having only 70 albums to play may revoke your right to owning such a beautiful TT! ;) :laugh:

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    jonwoody and Andrew Mackay like this.
  9. Chivas7

I am in a similar position as you, my front end is mostly Audio note, other than TT and transport, but I use Harbeth 40.1 speakers at 85dB sensitivity. Unfortunately none of the “affordable” AN power amps will drive them sufficiently. I’d be curious to try a pair of AN-E’s with AN amplification some day, but for the time being I am happy with my setup. My solution for amplification is using Icon Audio’s MB845 with my M3 phono and I feel this works very well, and cannot see what a SS amp will bring to the party that the 845’s cannot do, for me they are a perfect balance between valve seductiveness and SS power. There are reviews of the different incarnations in hifi world by Noel Keywood, (to be found on the Icon website) and he also used Tannoy speakers in a couple of the reviews.

In summary, I wonder if a high powered valve power amp would not be a better solution than SS for your needs. I think the recommendation on the Cobra is also a good one

10. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Wow someone with almost the same set up as me. I also use Icon Audio MB845 monoblocks with a M3 line stage and I have a M5 RIAA phonostage with step-up arriving next week. I use AN-E speakers and find the combination between the Icon and my AN speakers to be wonderful, especially as my room is large-ish by UK standards.

Would I trade the Icons for Audio Note power amps? - well yeah I would and I may do some day - but for now I am happy.

I am getting closer to an all Audio Note system but the aesthetics of the TT-3 are not appealing to me. I haven't heard it in action yet and hope to at some point but I can't help if it if I just don't like the way it looks.

It's great being close to Audio Note HQ and the local dealers are great - I had an M5 RIAA on loan for ages whilst I was deciding to buy one or not - in the end it was an easy decision to make.

11. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

what tubes are in the M5 RIAA? Can you give an approximate retail price?

12. Chivas7

That looks like a great setup you have there! The M5 RIAA is insane! What SUT are you getting? I was lucky to pick up a set of the S8 transformers from someone who managed to get one of the last pairs from Hifi collective. I then built this into a spare Audio Innovations case - they are brilliant with my IO2.

I have the MB845 mk1 and by all accounts the mk2 is a significant improvement - I’m trying my best not to entertain the thought!!

I’m with you, curious about AN amplification (and speakers in my case), but in all honesty I will find it hard to justify the change and associated expense, as I don’t feel anything is amiss or feel short changed at all when I listen to my system. If I did make the change, I will go to the polar opposite end of where I am now, with high efficiency speakers and flea powered SE amplification

13. Chivas7

PS. How are you managing gain in your system? I have too much gain (using low sensitivity on the MB845’s) with my 85dB speakers, I cannot imagine what it must be like with AN-E’s?!

14. finn

finn Forum Resident

This situation can be rectified by changing to the new style attenuators which have a much more gentle slope and allow a much greater operational range. They are also much better sounding but are expensive and justifiable if you want to hear how good the pre can sound.

slcaudiophile likes this.
  15. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Hi - if you want to pm me I'll let you know but I'm not comfortable sharing this information widely

16. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

You also have a great system! I have ordered the ANS-3 step-up it and the M5 are on the final test bench at the moment and should be with me next week. I have the mk2 MB845 and yes I think it is a step up from the mk1 which is no slouch itself.

17. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

As finn mentioned I have the new style attenuators in my M3. So I use high sensitivity on the MB845's and it works amazingly - I have a massive range. I do most of my listening late at night at a lowish volume and yet it is still wonderfully engaging.

finn likes this.
  18. Chivas7

Damn it, looks more and more like it is inevitable that I am on a collision course with the new style attenuators. I tried to persuade Finn to endorse my belief that the older style 23-step ones will be a happy medium, but he wasn’t having any of it.

currently I don’t get past 9 o’clock on my vol pot, 10 o’clock is getting uncomfortable, and that is with the Icons on low sensitivity (low gain)!

Encore and finn like this.
  19. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I borrowed an M3 line with the older style steps and I couldn't get on with it at all combined with the MB845 - it was just way too much, too noisy, too loud... I needed the new steps for it to work at all.

20. Chivas7

You’re not helping! You do realise the stereo version starts at £660 excl !

BettisDad and Jellis77 like this.
  21. finn

finn Forum Resident

Go the mono versions and get rid of the balance control, one of the best and biggest upgrades you can make. Sorry.

BettisDad likes this.
  22. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Sorry but it will be worth it

23. Chivas7

Thanks Finn

2xmono better than the Stereo, considering the faff?

24. Chivas7

And whilst I am at it, anything else worth upgrading on the M3 phono. It is an older version, probably somewhere between 7-10 years old

25. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

An easy solution is to get some quality in-line attenuators that plug into the power amp inputs. The attenuators come with different amounts of attenuation, but typically 10db or so. They reduce the noise level as well as allow you to use higher settings of your volume control. The ones made by Rothwell (I believe that’s the correct name) have a good reputation.