Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Just realized I may still have been unclear when I answered. So:
    1. Bi-wiring is the best (probably)
    2. If finances don't allow for bi-wiring, make sure to use good jumpers.

:cheers:

jonwoody and Andrew Mackay like this.
  3. Andrew Mackay

Andrew Mackay Forum Resident

Mulroydave and Encore like this.
  4. tifoso48

tifoso48 Forum Resident

Thank you for clarifying. Because of our physical and non negotiable circumstances I have very long ( 20’ +) runs and opted for a quad cable which enables bi wiring. I have nothing to compare to but they sound good to me.

My TT3 arrived yesterday and I am almost done setting it up.
    I am learning very fast that you don’t know what you don’t know.
    It has been suggested to me not to use a record clamp and I noticed that I never see any photo with a mat on the acrylic platter.

Why would these two implements not be desirable on an AUDIONOTE TT?

jonwoody likes this.
  5. Sheppard

Sheppard Well-Known Member

Has anyone compared speaker cables between Audio Note UK and Kondo? Both companies seem to use a litz design, though ANUK has many versions of both silver and copper, while Kondo only has one silver and one copper model.

Given that both use a litz design, is it just a matter of comparing strand count? For example:

ANUK Sogon LX has 96 strands:
    https://www.audionote.co.uk/an-sogon-lx

Kondo SPs-2.7 has 88 strands:
    CABLE | AUDIO NOTE

Should performance be comparable?

Fred Hansen likes this.
  6. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Acrylic is very similar to vinyl, in terms of density, so it is often the case that the record is meant to couple directly with the platter. Because of this similarity, vibrations imparted in the record by the stylus tracking the groove, pass from the record into the platter where it is dissipated by friction as heat. If the two materials are radically different, the vibrational energy is reflected back at the record/platter interface instead of passing through. If a clamp of some sort improves the coupling of the record to the platter, this should be a help.

I have a table with an acrylic platter (Basis), and it does not have a mat (a mat cannot be used because it is a vacuum clamping platter). It does a very good job damping energy imparted in the record (you can tap on the record surface near where stylus sitting on the record and virtually nothing gets through to the cartridge). The only concern I have is with dirt/dust collecting on the hard surface of the platter and then being mashed into the grooves of the record. I keep a sacrificial record on the platter when not in use to act as a platter dust-cover.

BettisDad, jonwoody and Dai like this.
  7. tifoso48

tifoso48 Forum Resident

Thank you for this excellent explanation, which kinda, sorta leads to a follow up question.

I have noticed that when I take the vinyl of the platter there is extreme static, one can actually hear the sizzle and I get that "magnetic" feel when I put the record back into the sleeve. Would that have anything to do with the conditions you describe?

8. ScottyNYC

ScottyNYC Well-Known Member

I realize vinyl fans dominate this brand, but can you just be happy for us CD/digital guys that they finally made an amp for us?? Can you wait at least a year or two before trying to co-opt it...just for a while...please?? Jeez

(The Cobra is voiced for digital, this would be the last AN amp I would consider if I played lots of vinyl.)

9. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Static is caused by friction of two objects rubbing against each other. I can only guess that the primary source would be the stylus tracking the groove, and perhaps, the platter shaft rotating in the main bearing and/or the rubber belt against the platter. I don't know if acrylic platters are more inclined to retain such charges than other materials. I don't have your problem, but, that is because my air is not very dry and moisture in the air conducts charges away from the record. You could use one of those devices that emit a neutralizing stream of ions; you could try using your breath to deliver enough moisture to reduce the charge.

10. tifoso48

tifoso48 Forum Resident

too funny, like you we are in DC with sky high humidity and monsoon quality rainfall.

I think it will be trial and error experiments on this.

11. Richard Austen

In a million years I would not have thought to do that - That is a superb idea - thanks. I have a few new sacrificial records - unfortunately!!

12. Richard Austen

I highly recommend those MOFI anti static record sleeves. I get no static here at all. But I have no carpets either which is a help. Back in Canada I use to put dryer sheets between records which also seemed to help. $20 for 50 inner sleeves from Elusive disc and if you buy 2 or more they discount each pack. Anti-static brush would also help.

I believe AN or one of the dealers recommended strongly against the use of record clamps. The only thing I can think is that the added weight would throw off the timing of the platter?

13. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

All NAS turntables come with a record platter dust cover. Nice touch.

Andrew Mackay likes this.
  14. tifoso48

tifoso48 Forum Resident

Richard, I probably expressed myself poorly.
    My issue is that the records bristle with static as I take them off the TT3 platter and here in DC we have sky high humidity in the moment.

Richard Austen likes this.
  15. JanJ

JanJ Forum Resident

That sounds very weird as I've never had that happen with either TT1 or TT3, but I do wash every record, new or used, which dissipates any static in the record, and stored in Mo-Fi inner sleeves after washing.
    Few times I've listened to a new record before washing and replacing the inner sleeve, the record has been static when removing from the original sleeve (sticking to the sleeve), but never stuck to the acrylic platter like you describe?

16. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

I do this too. I use an accidental duplicate of an A&M jazz compilation I picked up in a charity shop. An occasional brushing with a soft paint brush takes care of the rest of the tt and arm.

17. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

I heard the the Kondo cables are slightly better, a bit more neutral, but I don't have enough experience to make a qualified judgment. I have a sogon signal cable and it is so good I am not looking further. I'd love to try kondo speaker cables, as an upgrade from my Spe. But it's a costly affair and the world is burning so I kind of have other concerns

18. Sheppard

I can't imagine too many people have heard both so thanks for sharing.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  19. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I can't say which is better; I know that the Audio Note (uk) stuff is good. I run 4 meters of Sogon interconnect between my linestage and my amplifier, and 2 meters of Sogon speaker wires. This is a fortune to me.

20. Sheppard

That sounds like it would be a fortune for almost anyone! Did you ever try ANUK SPx speaker cables in comparison to Sogon?

Surprisingly, Kondo SPs-2.7 costs quite a bit less than ANUK Sogon LX 96 - more similar in cost to ANUK Spx speaker cables.

Acapella48 likes this.
  21. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Three quid likes this.
  22. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Sheppard,

I've heard SPx, but not in direct comparison with Sogon. My local Audio Note dealer makes custom-build horn systems. He often uses Audio Note wiring for the internal wiring of the speakers. For one particularly special system, I noticed that the wiring included a mix of Sogon and SPx so I kind of kidded him about being cheap with the wiring. He said for the particular driver being fed from the crossover, SPx sounded better. So, it is not simply a matter of higher quality, specific application can dictate which is better.

jonwoody and Salectric like this.
  23. David B.

David B. Forum Resident

This statement in ScottyNYC's post above interests (concerns**) me greatly. Could someone in the know please confirm or refute this?

Thanks in advance,
    --David B.

Post-edit: **Reason being that I am a vinyl-only listener and was thinking about a Cobra as soon as AN announces a version sans built-in DAC.

24. finn

finn Forum Resident

I read the initial post and didn't understand the point raised. I own one and certainly don't find it a lush, coloured amplifier, it plays a fairly even hand actually.
    The latest AN price list was released last night along with all the new products and there wasn't a different version of the Cobra in the list, sorry.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  25. Andrew Mackay

Andrew Mackay Forum Resident

It puzzled me, too, not least because a poster on this forum noted that Peter Q has been exploring ways to find space for a phono stage in the future. And AN people whose opinions I trust have told me that a Cobra with a M1 RIAA, say, would be a great match.