Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Neiro

Neiro Forum Resident

well to confuse things further I had a 3 and a 4 for a while and I preferred the 3. I found the 4 too refined, the 3 was much more interesting. I have had the 3 for some 6 or 7 years and it has not missed a beat. 3 new sets of valves in that time. I actually preferred the 3 to an AN transport and DAC 2.1, it just sounded more complete.

Don Parkhurst and Fred Hansen like this.
  2. ANQs

ANQs Member

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'm assuming the speakers' placement is just for the photograph ...?

4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Nope that is where they live I'm in an 800sqf condo placement options are limited. And they sound great to me where they are placed and me sitting in the relative nearfield at 7 feet.

alan967tiger and Andrew Mackay like this.
  5. rbholbrook

rbholbrook Forum Resident

it was my dealer that suggested it (from whom I bought both the 3.1 and DAC). I wasn’t doing it originally. I trust him and he has good ears.

jonwoody likes this.
  6. jonwoody

We have the same dealer and nice system! :)

7. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Your profile says "AN CDT3", is that just out of date? Since, of course, the CDT doesn't have a built in DAC...

8. rbholbrook

Thanks Jon.

one other point for the OP: if you can see if you can try the 3.1 before you buy. My 3.1 skips for about the first 30 minutes after I turn it on about (not always, fairly frequently and no matter what CD is in; only a few times per disk). But once on for 30 minutes it plays perfectly.

hopefully AN is still coming out with the belt drive unit in 2021 or so. Has anyone heard anything about it recently?

jonwoody likes this.
  9. rbholbrook

Good catch! I’ll correct my profile.

10. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

the Conquerer vs Vindicator side by side ... doing a comparison for client. Very interesting to compare the two side by side.

[​IMG]

Encore, kessi, Acapella48 and 6 others like this.
  11. jonwoody

I generally prefer the 2a3 tube to the 300b but have never heard either amp looking forward to your impressions.

12. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

i agree. imo, the 2A3 is a bit more intimate and has better bass control.

this particular client found the Conqueror to have more detail and depth to music and she loved it and listened for hours, which a great thing to watch.

this is why i carry every valve configuration they make because so much is personal preference.

13. ANQs

ANQs Member

Well I’ve won the bid for the CD3.1x!!

If it’s as described, I ve got a “ new, old stock” unused model for 1000 euros

I appreciate this is now an older model, but what can I expect?
    Taken a punt as I can find very little mention of it online.
    If anybody has any insight to this specific model and where it fits into the development and AN hierarchy?

14. finn

finn Forum Resident

You bought quite an old unit there, most likely 2003/4. Sitting on a shelf for that long. When you get the unit, check the loading mechanism for belt slippage and you might reach out to AN for parts availability as transformers may be an issue.

ANQs and jonwoody like this.
  15. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Do you prefer the HRS pucks over the Orea?

16. Don Parkhurst

Finn gave you really good advice there as he always does. I had one for a while and then ended up coming across a CDT3/DAC 4.1/X Balanced Signature combo from someone who was downsizing. I found it to be a huge improvement as you would expect but the CD 3.1 was a good, basic CD player. Musical and enjoyable but not the detail or finesse of the higher end gear. A little like Lexus speaker cable...really good for what it is but there are improvements when you use AN's higher end speaker cables.

jonwoody likes this.
  17. Don Parkhurst

That is why you are a really good dealer. It is expensive to stock so many items but you really provide a good service to your customers. I noticed that you do the same with cables; some basic and some of the very top cables. That is a very valuable service to those that want to upgrade but are unsure.

Of course, that is the same reason that my cables are now so expensive!

18. Don Parkhurst

Please do not place your CD2 on top of your M3 preamp. There is too much heat in your preamp to leave anything on top. It can be a bit of a hassle but finding a new location will pay off in longevity. My favourite technician told me that heat is your enemy and he tells me that he has seen an awful lot of damage/repairs needed, due to too much heat build up.

Fred Hansen and jonwoody like this.
  19. Don Parkhurst

Nice system. I used to run a very similar stand for my system with my TT-2 Deluxe on top. If I may make a suggestion, put your turntable on a lower shelf. Get it lower to get a more rigid base for it. I have had three different stands over the last 5-6 years as I tried to find the right one for me. Each time that I moved my turntable (regardless of which one I owned at the time) to a lower and more stable location, it improved the sound. That was with an affordable stand all the way up to a stand that is quite expensive.

20. ANQs

ANQs Member

Good advice thank you Don

21. ANQs

ANQs Member

In fairness any assessment has to be based on the price I ve paid. Unless my Lotto numbers come good it's very unlikely I will be upgrading to anything like T3 and 4.1. Anyway lets hope it brings a little fun and distraction as we head into Lockdown Pt II The sequel!

Don Parkhurst, jonwoody and scobb like this.
  22. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I've also been warned that the fields around transformers has a negative influence on neighboring components. I can't judge the technical side but I can say that the stacked level 5 components at the Copenhagen AN dealer don't sound anywhere near as good as I have heard lesser AN gear sound elsewhere.

Don Parkhurst and jonwoody like this.
  23. finn

finn Forum Resident

I've seen an image of that set up and couldn't believe that was the actual case. AN mains transformers aren't the quietest and the cumulative effect would be nigh impossible to ignore. That said, I'm not going to tell a Dane how to set his gear up, those bastards know how to fight.

Don Parkhurst, NapaBob, kessi and 4 others like this.
  24. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

[QUOTE="finn, post: 25323410, member: 47029"... I'm not going to tell a Dane how to set his gear up, those bastards know how to fight.[/QUOTE]
    Actually, I think that was some 1,100 years ago ... :tiphat:

Don Parkhurst, finn and jonwoody like this.
  25. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Actually, I think that was some 1,100 years ago ... :tiphat:[/QUOTE]
    Fighting is like riding a bike. You never forget! :)

jonwoody and finn like this.