Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. jsr

jsr Forum Resident

Thanks, the AN is my main listening system and other than a possible TT upgrade that is it for me! Will probably sell the DAC 5 which is not in use to help finance the turntable. Kensingtons are in my Accuphase/PS Audio digital rig which doesn't get much mileage. I just received the new PS Audio transport so the digital rig will probably get a little more air time. Your system looks great Jonwoody, I see some vinyl in the photo, I would say its time for a turntable:)

Don Parkhurst and jonwoody like this.
  2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Thank you Jsr and you have two great systems congrats! Yes there is some vinyl good eye and a turntable will be added sometime after this Covid nightmare ends!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    jsr likes this.
  3. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

nice. what other AN amps have you owned?

4. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

5. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

dunkyboy, jonwoody and Musicophile like this.
  6. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

Hello,

Happy New Year to everyone!

I wonder if by changing the 6x5 tube of the Dac2.1x sig, I should expect a difference in the sound?

dunkyboy and Mulroydave like this.
  7. finn

finn Forum Resident

Changing both tubes in the power supply will influence the sound, the 6x5 and the ECL82.

8. finn

finn Forum Resident

Selling the Dac5 would be regrettable should you ever get to hear it partnered with the new belt drive AN cd transports. Given what the TT3 sounds like and given the same application of motor control technology and material choices being applied to the cd transports, those who have good cd libraries are in for one hell of a ride should they get a chance to audition.

9. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

Thanks Finn,

Is the ECL82 an equivalent of the E88cc?

I have two Mullard made in Holland for the E88cc, I hope to be able to keep them for a long time ...

10. finn

finn Forum Resident

Not equivalent so stick with ECL82, also known as a 6BM8. Amperes or Telefuken are the highest quality as a rule for this particular tube although as xpected, expensive but genuinely worth the cost. These tubes are not run hard in the power supply so last quite a few years before they start to drift out of spec.
    Your mullard's are a very nice sounding tube. They also last well.

11. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I don't know about the 2.1x Sig but in my DAC I can't hear differences between different 6X5 tubes. NOS Telefunken ECL82 gives a slight, but welcome improvement over NOS Philips.

kessi likes this.
  12. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

slcaudiophile and DeeKay like this.
  13. DeeKay

DeeKay Forum Resident

That he does. Having a very similar system, even down to the Bugle Boys in the DAC, much of what he describes makes complete sense. I’ll be buying two of the 3 CDs he described so enticingly.

jonwoody likes this.
  14. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Question...

Owner of AN Conquest Silver amplifiers. Original OEM 300B tubes which test “Good” on a calibrated Triplett 3400 tester.

I’ve been reading positive things about the new AN 4300E tubes. Should I replace my perfectly good OEM 300B?

dunkyboy likes this.
  15. finn

finn Forum Resident

Get the Kruder Dorfmeister disc as well and scare the kiddies when you put it on. Aside from entertaining your neighbors, PQ will be very happy with your musical taste when he reads of your court case and how you sited Rafe's article in your defence.

16. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

the St Germain 'Tourist' he has in the 3rd photo is another really great album. interestingly, i found my copy at a record store going out business in a bin 2/$5 so i picked it up along with Acid Bath's debut CD. the guy at the counter gave me a quizzical look but both great albums!

Joe Spivey, Whistle and DeeKay like this.
  17. DeeKay

DeeKay Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation. Ordered and at £2 delivered I didn’t bother looking up what genre it might be, there’s not much I won’t listen to. I love this about CDs now, people are being brainwashed into dumping them for little or nothing but it works for me.

Andrew Mackay likes this.
  18. Andrew Mackay

Andrew Mackay Forum Resident

Will the belt drive transports be applied across the CDP range or just to Levels 4 and 5?

jonwoody and Mulroydave like this.
  19. finn

finn Forum Resident

Keep them as spares but the 4300E tubes are streets ahead of the original supply version. There is no comparison.

dunkyboy, jsr and BettisDad like this.
  20. finn

finn Forum Resident

There has been very little information forthcoming regarding the project and given some of the Covid considerations placed on the factory recently, I don't think that will change. It was my understanding that it might be restricted to full width player only down to the chassis internal space required for the motor control and power supply. Finalising on the full specification was expected in Febuary but that may be a best case scenario. We have had our CDT4 over at the factory for months awaiting rebuild and I am still clueless to the cost or any other details. My discussions about it have only been with Peter and some of the staff and that was enough to sway the jury.

dunkyboy likes this.
  21. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Thank you. If it’s not too much trouble, would you describe the aspects of the 4300E that make them streets ahead of the stock OEM 300B?

dunkyboy likes this.
  22. finn

finn Forum Resident

Much better linearity in terms of frequency at the bass and top end, more transparent and greater resolving of the recording, greater harmonic structure and longer decay in the sound heard, much quieter background and significantly more dynamic but without any increase in volume adjustment.

dunkyboy, jsr and Fred Hansen like this.
  23. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

@finn, thank you!

24. Andrew Mackay

Andrew Mackay Forum Resident

Thanks Finn. Sounds like another case of Audio Note hurry up and wait! But it will be interesting to know where AN are going to take this project.

25. finn

finn Forum Resident

It's always the case that starting with a clean slate, projects like this have a much more defined timeframe and given its about integrating a new motor and belt drive system for the spindle as well as the laser sled also being belt drive and there being audible differences in belt material and the new tricks they developed with the PSU4 unit and so on.
    They have to get it right or the naysayers will be wanting a burning of the witch moment. 90% of the music I buy is cd as a lot of it wont be released on vinyl and the sound I get from cd is already quite exceptional and I want it to sound better again if possible. I can wait a little longer.