Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Not surprised- enjoy!:)

2. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

I could not agree more. Enjoyment of music is what this hobby should be all about. I think there are a lot of OCD people in this hobby/lifestyle whatever it is. People who obsess over the last bit of minutiae that a cable change can make or have had more preamps than they have friends in their lives. Folks who no matter what changes they make are never really satisfied and have no chance of ever being satisfied because they let obsession over gear get in front of actual enjoyment of music.

I have been this person I am describing so I understand very well what this is about. AN is what set me free from the bonds of obsession. I purchased some basic products years ago, and have listened to the better products through Mario and Peter at various shows and determined what I thought was making the biggest differences in sound quality. Having an electronics background I obtained the parts I thought would make the most difference, upgraded my stuff about 10 years ago and I have not looked back. The sound is so engaging and satisfying, I lost all desire to tinker anymore with it. I just listen to records. Lots of records. Only money Peter has got out of me in a long time is rebuilding my IO Gold. In fact, it is back at Viscount House again as we speak being rebuilt because I literally wear it out listening to the 8K or so records I own.

I could not be happier or more musically satisfied.

3. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I once checked the 6sn7s of my Kageki amplifiers using an Amplitrex tube tester. Both tubes tested extremely weak. But, the sound was still pretty good. I emailed Peter to ask about alternative tubes and explained how weak the tubes tested even if the sound remained good. He said that the Kageki runs these tubes extremely gently and that even when the tubes test weak they can sound good in his circuit. He recommended just using the tubes until the sound became bad.

dunkyboy, Don Parkhurst and jonwoody like this.
  4. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

@Footsurg Yes, the desire to be transported more fully into the magic world of music drive many crazy. My advice is not to discard hifi and sell one's system, but to (1) take a long break from conversations with hifi people and from hifi salons, (2) take a break from one's system, (3) don't make any upgrades or changes for at least one year. You'll likely learn that you already have an incredible system that'll sound glorious with years of use

5. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

dunkyboy, EricMack, jonwoody and 5 others like this.
  6. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

On another forum someone asked for a recommendation on a balanced preamp and I suggest he look at the M2 Balanced. I am not a tech guy and I don't actually run balanced connectors. This fellow suggests that AN is not actually balanced (I posted AN's article on the matter but my technical knowledge on this is limited).

"If you think your new M6 is balanced where are the balanced XLR inputs for balanced signal path? There are none because there is no balanced circuit path inside and output transformer provides balanced interface for the output XLR's. BAT makes fully balanced tube preamps, also ARC does as well."

7. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

That's true.

The question is, does it matter? How it sounds is what matters.

dunkyboy, jonwoody and Lowrider75 like this.
  8. Richard Austen

Another poster replied

their (AN) amps don't use fully balanced differential circuits internally, there's transformers doing front-end unbalancing and back-end rebalancing ... balanced in > single end > balanced out. I looked up their specs

however, they are still fully balanced amps because of the input / output architecture.

babble gabble ooble booble. Personally, I don't care all that much but if something is sold as balanced it should be balanced.

9. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

It's a topic endlessly debated.

A balanced output transformer sends a balanced signal, so in my opinion there's nothing untoward in AN's designation. It'd be rather clumsy to call the preamp "single ended with transformer coupled balanced outputs". Easier to say M3/M5/M6 Balanced.

Is it differentially balanced circuitry...like BAT, ARC, Atma-Sphere? No.

dunkyboy, jonwoody and Lowrider75 like this.
  10. the_bat

the_bat Forum Resident

There are versions of the M3 upwards that support a balanced CD input.

11. Richard Austen

I suppose this is what the fellow is saying to me - he argues that AN is not really balanced but Audio Note is "implying" that those amps you list are not really balanced. https://d1b89e86-9572-4311-9f80-600...d/3e7c3b_63560d02b6e242e3aa42d225f94a131e.pdf

I mean I use single-ended - because I don't run 80-foot lengths or even 7-foot lengths.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Peter Q. has notified me that I'm getting a new TT-3 tomorrow from AN. That sounds exciting. Something to look forward to..

13. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

I think what he is talking about is a "fully balanced" circuit versus a circuit that is not fully balanced from one end to the other. Fully balanced is when the signal is balanced at the input AND the output with respect for absolute polarity. Balanced , like you said, is important if using long runs of interconnect because of superior noise rejection, galvanic isolation and RFI rejection. I would say that most of us absolutely do not need balanced connections in any way. There have been arguments that SE is actually a cleaner signal path and likely sounds better than balanced. I have never tried to test this notion. Have had no need to. My longest run of interconnect is 2M.

I have no idea if AN preamps are balanced at the inputs and the outputs. That would be a question for Andy Grove. If AN preamps are only balanced at the inputs or outputs and not both then the fellow you're talking to is right.

Fred Hansen and jonwoody like this.
  14. slcaudiophile

the audio note does offer a balanced output obviously on any of the pre-amps made with outputs transformers (so M2+). they also offer the option to have a balanced input (the balanced CD input) which has internal transformers for that input on anything with the M3-M8 circuit. the reason is if they had every input balanced with that circuit it would require multiple pairs of transformers and really elaborate switching. as you know all that would not be possible in the standard audio note chassis. so they offer the one "balanced" input and usually that is enough.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    J.Uotila and jonwoody like this.
  15. slcaudiophile

what cart?

16. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

From the AN website...

Current models:
    M6 Line
    M6 Line Balanced CD Input
    M6 Line Signature
    M6 Phono
    M6 Phono Balanced CD Input
    M6 RIAA

Pure Class A operation
    Zero negative feedback
    Single Ended circuit topology
    Valve rectification
    -----------------------
    M2,M3,M5,M6 are not fully-balanced differential topologies. They use very robust transformers to accept a balanced signal. They are single-ended internally.

I agree with other posters, they accept a balanced signal. How they sound is all that matters.

dunkyboy and jonwoody like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

No idea..

18. slcaudiophile

i hope it comes with one! :)

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Has an arm, cart and power supply according to Peter Q.

Don Parkhurst and Fred Hansen like this.
  20. sletek

sletek Well-Known Member

By the way, this list is not correct. I have a M6 Phono Signature, which is less than 1 year old. If you take a look to owners manual section from Audio Note website, you'll find it there. Ofcourse it's not fully balanced either, but takes balanced line in and balanced out.

21. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

Can't imagine putting anything on there less than an IO Gold. Nothing wrong with the IO I and IO II, I have had both in the past. But if one really wants to hear what that TT3 can do, then it is IO Gold/S8 at the minimum.

Don Parkhurst, Encore and Fred Hansen like this.
  22. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

NICE !!

jonwoody likes this.
  23. slcaudiophile

you guys gotta get this if you don’t have it. ridiculous good on an Audio Note system.

[​IMG]

24. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

That would be good on any system great album!

backeast likes this.
  25. slcaudiophile

yeah ... true. i honestly forgot i had it. incredible stuff.

jonwoody likes this.