Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Which label/pressing is this? I’m a Sonny Rollins fan and would like to get the preferred version.

EricMack likes this.
  2. Musicophile

Musicophile Forum Resident

Have you compared the AN-S5 to the AN-S4? I had the AN-S3 and switched it out with the AN-S4 which provided the Audio Note silver sound: smooth, organic and musical. However, I am curious on the AN-S5 which is more expensive but still cobber.

dunkyboy likes this.
  3. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

hi don. i believe that is the original RCA Victor done by Paul Goodman from the early 60s.

i played this album for many years when i first started getting into jazz but somewhere along the way hide it with a variety of other great jazz albums from that era and just recently found where i hide it!

my copy is is rough shape by today’s standards but if you don’t listen to your records what’s the point?

let me know if you have any other questions.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  4. slcaudiophile

hi. you know i haven’t done a direct comparison of the AN-S4 / S5. in your system you could really do anything. but i suspect if you like the sound of the S4 to the S3 then you will find the S5 far more favorable to your ears in your system.

i hope that helps.

Musicophile likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Peter Q. wants me to put an AN-S9 in my system as step up so it will be interesting. I've not compared anything like that since I got my new AN speakers.

Don Parkhurst and jonwoody like this.
  6. slcaudiophile

your TT3 up and running?

7. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, with an S3 that I took from my TT-2.

Nice record playing machine, ya know? It seems well built..

Thanks, Peter Qvortrup for the opportunity to try out this new machine.
    First record up, the 45 RPM test pressing of Lyn Stanley "Live At Studio A." It sounds beautiful. I just noticed my blurb on the front cover! It is a really nice album (especially neat at 45 RPM!)

144252328_3636126906468139_675394222264016127_n.jpg 144202329_3636127009801462_7192251204729190016_n.jpg 144368679_3636153629798800_5517194585137930985_n.jpg 144204597_3636153659798797_836996100939127877_n.jpg

8. slcaudiophile

nice. looks great.

i love the TT2 (especially when you use the PSU) but the TT3 simply gets more music off the record, especially when you use IO carts. i don’t know if yours is new but every TT3 i’ve had sounds best after about 300 hours of use.

9. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, it's new. I'll break it in.. I still have my TT-2 (unless AN wants it back) and it will be interesting to compare and contrast turntables..

10. Don Parkhurst

Which power supply did they include with your new TT-3 Steve? It sounds like there is a substantial upgrade in sound as you go up the ladder (like every AN product!).

11. Steve Hoffman

Uno.

But that could change. This unit was originally meant for a customer..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  12. Don Parkhurst

Thanks for letting me know. I went searching original pressings in near mint condition and the prices were a little scary! So I found a near mint copy from Classic Records for a price that wasn’t too bad. I look forward to hearing it. I’m just finishing up some improvements to my new listening room, including dedicated lines, so it should sound good when all of the work is completed. My copy has to arrive from Italy so that could take a while.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  13. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

Does AN still make the version of the TT3 with the individual power supplies for each motor? I think it was called the TT3 special. Also I have been hearing for a long time that AN is going to make a TT3 "half reference" paying homage I assume to the old Voyd half reference. Assuming it will look like a TT3 except with smaller less expensive motors. Not sure if it is still in the works or actually being made.

14. finn

finn Forum Resident

The Reference TT3 is still listed although likely to go through a revision in the future to align it with current designs. The TT3 0.5 Reference is starting production in the second half of this year at this stage but that may change. One unit was constructed and sent to Russia for a client who exerted untold levels of pressure in order to have the first one.
    There is a TT3 Special coming which will only be sold with the AN-S1 tonearm and the PSU4 power supply. This is an intermediate between the standard TT3 and the forthcoming TT3 0.5 Reference.

15. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Awesome Finn and glad it's not complicated! :p

16. finn

finn Forum Resident

The reason for the cost structure difference is that the S5 uses a larger core lamination , generally thinner material, and the core of the transformer is the significant determining sound quality factor. It's not just about silver vs copper.

dunkyboy, Encore, roole and 2 others like this.
  17. finn

finn Forum Resident

It's complicated for consumers and retailers and reflects the marketing ethos behind the brand. Given that the order books are in a never ending state of full and the consumer demand is there, they must have a very loyal and capable group of resellers around the world who can somehow read between the lines/ upside down/ in reverse and still provide clarity to their customers about the right products best suited for their systems.
    It's actually quite remarkable how few times dealers and distributors abandon the brand given the complexity associated with reselling the range that at last count, spread to 175 pages in the price list. They must be intoxicated still.

18. Steve Hoffman

For good reason.

BTW, I'm getting an AN-S9 this Friday. I realize when I wrote about the S3 being less stressful sounding than the S9, I hadn't yet tried on my current AN speakers. I am assured (by you and others) that the jump in step up quality will be pleasing. Looking forward to it.

19. finn

finn Forum Resident

I get to buy and play/ listen to a lot of AN product over the years and there are relatively few moments of sheer unbridled joy that leap from the pages but one has been the combination of the TT3/PSU3/ARM3/IO1/ S9 and in a way that took me by surprise. I was surprised by the fact that I already own a TT3 0.5 Reference and the new much cheaper TT3 gives it a real run for its money. There are difference but the cost differential for those variations is staggering. I just wish more people could actually hear one in the flesh simply because it will give them a completely different perspective on what is possible from the vinyl medium.
    The difference between the TT2 deluxe and the TT3 will become very obvious with the S9 in place.
    Should you get a chance to use the 3 or 4 power supply, the playing field will change again in a seriously good way.
    Good luck.

20. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any word on the new price of the AN E/SOOTO speakers - or even the old price?

It would be cool to know what an absolute top end all the trimmings system - the best E, the best cables, the top preamp and power amps, transport and dac - in other words the EXTREME penultimate top dog AN system would run you?

E/Sooto
    Soot cables throughout assuming 3 meter speaker runs and 2 meter IC
    Top turntable
    Top DAC/Transport
    AN Ultra or Legend amps
    etc.

That lotto win might come about one day so one needs to be prepared.

21. finn

finn Forum Resident

If your lotto win was over 1.8 million then you're in with a shot. The AN- E Sootto speakers are $302000 as of today as the new price list hasn't dropped yet. In that price there is 21 mtrs of Sootto speaker cable and around 17kgs of silver foil and wire. The 4 inductors are over a kg in silver alone.

22. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks - wow that is pretty steep. I can't imagine they sell too many of these things but then the HK dealer does seem to sell a lot of the more expensive models of amps.

And yes I will need to win the $50million variety lottery and not the $1m variety. But then I'd need the rest of the system to be up to snuff to appreciate the E-Sooto so in for a penny in for a pound.

23. Steve Hoffman

Thanks. Gonna be fun.

24. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

I went from an S8 to an S9 when I put in the TT3 and it is marvelous with an IO Gold. With the exception of your M9, our systems are pretty similar.

25. Steve Hoffman

Glad to hear from you, John.