Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. CYF

CYF Active Member

Is it a good idea to invest in a top level CD player? or DAC + cheaper transport?

CD5.1x

Dac4.1x Balance Signature + CDT Zero

Which one will sound better?

dunkyboy and fcdvpds like this.
  2. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

What is the difference between the TT-3 and the TT-3 Super?

dunkyboy likes this.
  3. finn

finn Forum Resident

Pretty simple really, it will be cut only for an AN-S1 tonearm, the counterweights will be set for that arm and it will only be supplied with the PSU4 power supply.
    Cheers.

4. Don Parkhurst

It really depends on your budget and your needs.

If you are someone that wants the simplest CD player and isn't planning on upgrades or changes, such as adding a music streaming option, then get the CD 5.1x. If you are like me, you want to have the option to possibly upgrade individual components at a later date. Also, I have purchased a Roon music streamer that I can plug into the back of my DAC 4.1/X Balanced Signature DAC, at the same time as having my CDT 3 transport plugged in. So, I am able to flip a switch on the back of my DAC to decide whether I listen to CDs or to Roon.

I haven't heard the CD 5.1x, but I have heard the CD 4.1x several times and in different systems and I was really impressed with it. I would imagine that the CD 5.1x would be a good step up in sound quality and of course a good step up in price as well.

Personally I would go the separate transport and DAC route, as I would want to upgrade the CDT 0 to a higher model when I ran across a good deal. Another member here (Atle Rovik) mentioned to me that he was really impressed with the upgrade in sound when going from the CDT-Zero to CDT-Two/II. So, I would wait for a CDT-Two or CDT-Three transport to come up on the used market.

I would be interested as to whether or not any of our AN dealers have heard the new CD 5.1x. It would be great to get their opinion.

Good luck and let us know what you decide,

Don

5. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think the problem here is being able to audition all this stuff. My dealer only had the PSU 1 so that is what I bought. I could not compare them and the price is a LOT higher for the PSU3 over the PSU1. It's a lot to buy "blind"

With the upgrade path, I figured I could just upgrade it later. But now you can't? The upgrade path was a good idea. Was looking at that as my next move going up to the PSU-3 but I'd still want to be able to compare them side by side.

dunkyboy likes this.
  6. Don Parkhurst

PSSST......Richard....go back to post #5374. You might be able to pick up a gently used PSU 3 from John Mee.

Just sayin'

jonwoody likes this.
  7. Richard Austen

Yes but the problem is hearing it first. The HK dealer currently has their demo TT3 out with a reviewer. And of course, then what do I do with the PSU-1. I would need to sell it - get the money to put toward a PSU3. I wish they kept the upgrade path. Audio Note dealers like Soundhounds and Elephant Holdings here in HK are full-out repair facilities that should be able to be trained to make the upgrades. Solder this solder that and voila. If auto dealers can rebuild a car - surely audio technicians can solder to company specifications no. Granted I am probably missing something important but AN always seems DIY friendly in terms of making upgrades.

Of course, Covid and Brexit have probably screwed everything up royally. If it has to be shipped back and someone has to upgraded and then shipped back to the owner - it probably takes 6 months and costs a bomb in shipping.

8. finn

finn Forum Resident

The difference between the PSU1 and PSU3 is substantial in design and implementation and not a simple substitution exercise. Early in the piece I reached out to Darko and his opinion was that the PSU3 was the power supply to consider as giving the best sound from the TT3. All this was before the PSU4. I haven't heard the 4 power supply but I have the 3 version and the sound is quite something.

9. Atle Rovik

Atle Rovik Forum Resident

It was unused, but it had been sitting for many years after production without use. It was also in my case the ECC82, as Peter mentions.

10. Richard Austen

If I get the opportunity to audition one I will. A lot of folks I respect tell me how massive the improvement is. Although sometimes living in ignorance is better for the wallet especially when one is happy.

I am sitting here listening to the Audio Note K/SPe and Dac 0.1X and M1 Phono Preamp and "gulp" my Class D mAmp Monoblocks (purchased to review fairly hard to drive speakers) and it's all pretty awesome.

The AN K IMO is so bloody underrated. I just came back from hearing the Harbeth M30.2 and ATC SCM 19 which are both pretty good and highly regarded speakers but the K is on another level IMO. It's really difficult to illustrate in words as to why. I'm working on it.

Granted the other set-ups didn't have the M1 or DAC 0.1x going for them - they just had 5 times more expensive gear running them :)

11. Atle Rovik

Atle Rovik Forum Resident

Yes, I was about to say the same thing. The difference between the CDT-Zero and the CDT-Two/II is HUGE! And so I suspect the difference between CDT-Two/II and higher levels to be. I would say that if you are absolutely 100% sure you will play CDs, and do not plan on upgrades, go with the CD 5.1x. But if you’re even playing with the idea of streaming, go with the Dac 4.1x and as good a CD-drive as financially possible.

dunkyboy, Don Parkhurst and DeeKay like this.
  12. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski Forum Resident

I'd replace the AN stepped attenuator with a Noble AP25.

My old (early) M3 with Noble sounded much better than the newer M3, I'm also of the (sad) opinion that AN started voicing their preamps for AN power amps and are not as good.

I also had the TKD stepped attenuator in the ANJ M7 replaced with a Noble and that sounds much better.

BettisDad and Marchino like this.
  13. CYF

CYF Active Member

I got a dilemma!

I want to go for the CD5.1x. But, the CD5.1x will most likely be upgraded to a belt-drive system like the CDT5/6 in the next year or 2. From what I read online, the improvement is significant.

jonwoody likes this.
  14. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

I don't see what the problem is. Just swing by my place and we can compare them.... After all it is only 7,000 miles, $1,000 airfare and Covid travel restrictions.... How difficult can it be :)

I am very lucky in that I understand both Nick Gowan and PQ's sensitivities and tastes, along with the AN "sound" so it is much easier for me, but I definitely agree with the philosophy of hearing it first.

15. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

Interesting because the price list (albeit, I don't have the complete list ) lists both the turntables and power supplies as separate pieces:
    ZU520 TT-Three
    ZU540 TT-Three Super
    ZU520-PSU1 PSU1
    ZU520-PSU2 PSU2
    ZU520-PSU3 PSU3
    ZU520-PSU4 PSU4

I seem to remember from a discussion with Peter about a year ago or so, as Finn noted, the Super will only be set up for the AN-1S tonearm.

16. Don Parkhurst

Please share the rest of your system to help in deciding to spend your money : )
    I think that Finn is probably best at answering this question. My personal feeling is that it would be awesome for AN to stop messing around and put their best transport and DAC together in one chassis. Probably requires an external power supply, but I bet that it would be amazing to listen to. And...really, really expensive : )

jonwoody and Atle Rovik like this.
  17. Richard Austen

The M3 I had had the 23 step volume attenuators. When I got the Empress Silver - there was some sort of gain issue where at 2 clicks it was deafening. The dealer sent a fellow out who put a resistor in the right volume pot. The problem was not resolved because there was also a lot of noise. bzzzzzz while listening.

So they did some jiggery pokery with the Empress Silver and voila - no noise but the gain was still high.

The right volume control that he worked on was the one that developed that scratchy noisy sound when turning the volume control.

AN apparently fixed this with the new 36 step attenuator which according to Finn sounds massively better sound quality wise not just the advantage of more steps. So since that upgrade was going to cost some money - I decided instead of spending money to upgraded parts in the M3 why not sell it and upgraded the while amp to the new M6 with the new pots.

I am hoping it will be a good match for Empress Silvers. The m1 is working great with them so the M6 should too.

Lowrider75 and jonwoody like this.
  18. Peter Qvortrup

Peter Qvortrup Forum Resident

Dear CYF,

there will be an upgrade available when the belt drive version of the CD5.1x is introduced, so you are in no danger of missing out long term.

Peter

19. Peter Qvortrup

Peter Qvortrup Forum Resident

Hi John,

That is large true, although we are looking at offering an arm board for the ARH Three alrms as well with a balancing weight to get the suspension to work as intended.

Peter

dunkyboy and jonwoody like this.
  20. ANQs

ANQs Member

Regarding all in one CDP v Dac and transport.
    What is the reason for Audio Note CDPs not including a digital IN option?
    It’s a shame for people who want the simplicity of a single box that they can’t take advantage of the lovely DAC for streaming etc.

dunkyboy, jonwoody and geodiak like this.
  21. CYF

CYF Active Member

After hearing the Cobra and CD Zero I'm hooked. I'm starting from scratch. The amp will likely be a Jinro. I don't do vinyl, only digital.

CD5.1x is a combination of a customized DAC4.1x Balanced and CDT 3 according to AN's Facebook page. So the DAC4.1x Balanced Signature will outperform CD5.1x's DAC section. Now if I go with the DAC, I'll be using my Sony X1100ES UHD player as a transport. Will the cheap transport significantly cripple the DAC4.1x Balanced Signature?

Some say transport makes a huge difference. Some say they can't hear any difference between a $100 DVD player and multi-thousand dollar dedicated transport. I would love to compare them, but dealer has no AN DAC available to test.

Thanks Peter! Good to know.

22. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I've compared the CDT-2, CDT-4 and two different CDT-5s, all with the same DAC. I don't claim to have golden ears, but I could absolutely tell the difference. OTOH, we might not agree on which is 'best'.

Lowrider75 and jonwoody like this.
  23. DeeKay

DeeKay Forum Resident

I don’t know that specific player but have tried a variety of transports and would say at that level, you will not hear much of what that DAC can do.

I used a relatively low end Naim network player into my AN DAC for years which sounded better than all the transports I tried. Then I bought an old AN CDT Two which was a revelation by comparison to the Naim, which has been largely redundant since.

I recently upgraded to the current CDT Two/II and it’s another huge step up, glorious! I’m only using a DAC 2.1x/II Signature. I imagine the DAC 4.1x Balanced Sig would highlight those differences between transports further.

dunkyboy, Don Parkhurst and jonwoody like this.
  24. Don Parkhurst

I doubt that the transport that you will be using will be good enough for the DAC that you would use it with, as DeeKay mentions above. However, if you were to save up your money for an Audio Note transport the. You will realize what that DAC is capable of. I am very impressed with the CDT 3. It does a great job with my DAC 4.1/X Balanced Signature.

It’s always nice to have a new one, but if you found a clean used CDT3 or CDT4, that would be a terrific upgrade and you would hear what the DAC can do. I would also make sure that you use an Audio Note Pallas digital interconnect. Pallas is the best digital interconnect that I have used.

Fred Hansen, finn and jonwoody like this.
  25. finn

finn Forum Resident

Tell your friend that if he has a conversation with the people who sold him his AN equipment and if he replaces 4 resistors in his pre amp and monoblocks, 2 in each, with the new Niobium's then his system will sound so much better he will have a complete new collection of music to listen too. I did 2 pre's and a pair of Quest's over the weekend and both clients were stunned at the results.