Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

I see you have Isis interconnects listed in your system profile. When I compared my son’s 4m Connex (unshielded) with ETI Link plugs to my 4m Isis, my son and I both concluded they were similar sounding but with different strengths. The Connex/Link had a more neutral tonal balance with strong, authoritative bass and cleaner treble. The Isis was slightly more open and dynamic in the midrange.

That experience led me to try WBT 0102 Ag RCA plugs on a new 4m pair of Connex. Those cables are still breaking in at 450 hours but so far they have excellent detail and dynamics but are a tad lightweight in the lower mids. I am hoping that fills in with more hours but if not I will try the copper WBTs instead.

The Connex cable is obviously very revealing with different RCA plugs. I suspect it would sound very nice with the AN-P plugs that are on all of my AN cables, but I don’t know since I have never tried those plugs on other cables.

JeroenPaco likes this.
  2. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

yeah ... i have set of Lexus, ISIS, SOGON, and SOOTTO i am keeping and then some great new stuff coming in ... so it will be fun to do and see how it compares. thanks again for the rec!

3. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

I use 1m Sogon between my phono preamp and linestage, and it has been the undisputed champ in that spot for years. I don’t dare try SOOTO since that is beyond my budget!

slcaudiophile likes this.
  4. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

I think the Oto is a better amplifier overall and I am not very convinced by the entry level AN DAC (o.1)

5. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

I have the AN CD Zero and the DAC 1.1Sig and I can tell you the SQ difference is brutal. I couldn't live with the sound of the CD Zero but I absolutely love the pair CD Zero + Dac 1.1Sig...

6. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

Which powercord to use with Cobra? Should be not so expensive as ISIS....

7. Eskimo Chain

Eskimo Chain Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed....

[​IMG]

Well this is exciting!! My new speakers have arrived in Australia. This is a great thread and has been very helpful when crunch time came with decision making, thanks to all. AN is a serious upgrade for me but music has been my salve for as long as I can remember. Hopefully my Oto SE phono sign isn't too far behind and they should both sit well with my Nottingham Analogue interspace deck. I understand this is almost heresy but I have been running a Bluesound node 2i on my old SS amp which works well, interested to know if any of you are running streamers through AN gear? I don't have a seperate DAC at the moment and probably won't, although never say never (finances stretching thin) any suggestions appreciated. Many thanks to Finn for your help.

8. gov

gov Forum Resident

Congrats on the new speakers. I use a bluesound vault into my AN Dac 2.1x. Sounds bloody brilliant. No CDs for me. I burn em all to the Vault but I don't really do that beyond my existing library of CDs that I'm slowly digitizing. Perhaps heresy to some but that's what I do. I think you will find an appreciable upgrade when your funds catch up if you upgrade to a standalone dac.

9. George 47

George 47 Forum Resident

Yes it was ideal. Better than a lot of less expensive cables.

Whistle likes this.
  10. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Congrats on your awesome new speakers! I also run a streamer, Auralic Aries Mini, into my AN Dac-3 Signature and love the sound I get. When you have a chance to get an AN Dac go for it they are just musical nothing else to really say.

Lowrider75, gov and Eskimo Chain like this.
  11. jonwoody

Oh and we will be requiring some pics once you set those babies up! ;)

Eskimo Chain likes this.
  12. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

I use a Lumin U1Mini into my 2.1x sig. and the sound from Qobuz is fabulous. I’m digital all the way, and love it.

Eskimo Chain likes this.
  13. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

I have a Node2i into a DAC2.1x Sig. I'm using CAT8 ethernet from my router plus an upgraded PC on the Node.
    I've found that a good SPDIF cable to the DAC improved SQ of my digital setup.

14. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

I am using a Wattson Emerson Digital in my Dac2.1x Sig.
    In SPDIF it is an AN-ISIS, this set is beyond the other Streamers that I have tried (Lindemann Limetree, Naim NDX, Moon Mind).

Tlay and Whistle like this.
  15. nige harris

nige harris Forum Resident

Contgrats - Can't wait to see you post some pictures...

Eskimo Chain and Fred Hansen like this.
  16. nige harris

nige harris Forum Resident

I would definitely use ISIS, its a hell of an Amp, don't choke it by using poor cables, either in or out...

Whistle likes this.
  17. Eskimo Chain

Eskimo Chain Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed....

What upgrades did you do to the PC?

18. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

19. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

I recently purchased a mint condition nearly new Audio Note OTO Phono SE Signature. I have it paired with my fully updated and upgraded Klipsch Chorus II's to great effect. Nearly everything I could ask for but wondering what other speakers pair well with the OTO? Would like a touch more finesse. Obviously AN speakers but looking for other suggestions. Standmount or smaller tower? See that Zu has a new Soul coming out soon. Let's keep budget under $8500 new or used.

Dynamics and bass at low level listening (65 to 75 db) is very important to me.

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions!

Andrew Mackay and jonwoody like this.
  20. jonwoody

If you really like that horn sound I'm pretty sure the Volti Rival is within your price range or pretty close.

Rival - Volti Audio

21. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Devore Orangutan 93 or 96 would play nicely with the Oto. I agree that the Volti Rival would be a good candidate too; horn systems are particularly good at low volume listening. If you can tolerate something really big in size, the Klipsch Cornwald IV might do the trick.

jonwoody likes this.
  22. Andrew Mackay

Andrew Mackay Forum Resident

Stick
    Stick to AN speakers if you can....I used an OTO Phono SE Sig with AN-K SPe to great effect, but a lot of other posters use them with the slightly larger and more sensitive Js which would be well within your budget. Also check out the Omega range of high sensitive, stand mounts which would well with your OTO + they're in the US.

23. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

...also the Volti Razz starting at $5k. Haven't heard this specific model but could be something to look into. Volti/Border Patrol paring at audio shows have been enjoyable. Perhaps an AN pairing could work really well too.

Volti Audio Razz

[​IMG]

jonwoody likes this.
  24. R.T.Firefly

R.T.Firefly Forum Resident

Does anybody have experience in using AN speakers in a Home Theatre setup? I'm considering a redesign for my HT. One of the plans is to upgrade the musical capabilities. AN/Es are an option. For the music, they would be fed by my faithful OTO SE. But the question is whether they make sense for movie watching, paired with an AV receiver.

25. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Keep 'em coming. I feel like Volti Razz might just be more of what I already have in my Chorus II's?

Anyone heard or know of the James Romeyn/Audiokinesis Duke Gina SM standmounts?