Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. nige harris

nige harris Forum Resident

Would love to know the full set up there - A Meishu (is it one of the very rare 'Balanced' ones built for studios?), A Pre-Amp, A pair of Mono amps and a singel Quest by the look of it..., two pairs of E's (the second pair not is this photo) and K speaker???

2. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Maybe buy a set of banana-spade adapters? If there's any benefit to the biwiring--which I suspect there is--it should still shine through the adapters.

roole likes this.
  3. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

BTW, even if you don't go with biwiring, make sure to invest in good jumpers. That really pays off!

roole likes this.
  4. roole

roole Forum Resident

As I said now I have Spx jumpers. These are superb for this task.

5. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

You can see the set-up better in this video. It is Dolby Atmos so appears to have two sets of AN E and AN-K speakers that are used as center and rear. Monoblocks are obviously one of the 211 stereo power amplifiers - Jinro or Tomei. But I can't see the preamp (m3 or up).

6. roole

roole Forum Resident

Martin Grennall from AN wrote on Facebook:

"It's an absolutely phenomenal system that is constantly evolving, and Damien QD is a truly, truly gifted and talented engineer. I'm not sure of the full specs since it has been expanded to full 7.1 Dolby Atmos, but what I can tell you is the following; special custom Meishu with a pair of balanced inputs; 1 x pair Ankoru/II; 1 x Quest running the center front channel AN-K, 2 x pairs of AN-E HE (not sure of the internal spec), I think that's an M6 Phono, and there's also a TT-Three there for checking vinyl masters. There's also a pair of AN-K on rear surround duty. All cabling is AN also, obviously. Did you hear / see the 'Mono Company' TV event from a couple of years ago, when the complete live performance was captured with a single microphone? That was amazing, and another example of Damien QD's incredible work."

Richard Austen, Tlay and jonwoody like this.
  7. Andrew Mackay

Andrew Mackay Forum Resident

I'll second that. I use SPe jumpers with 17-strand SPe on my pair of K-SPe, sounds great.

roole likes this.
  8. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw a 5 channel tube power amplifier in Hong Kong from Ming Da or Mei Xieng - same company two names.

If Audio Note is going to go anywhere near Atmos (and it so far has been my favorite movie surround version) then we need to get one of those 16 or more surround channel processors. I could see it. We sort of already see it here.

9. roole

roole Forum Resident

Got the answer from AN. They do not recommend mess with different cables in bi-wiring mode.

10. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

I don’t know whether it was the wire itself or the plugs, but I noticed improved sound quality as I used the new cables well past 40 hours. With the ETI Copper Link plugs, I stopped hearing changes at 400 hours. More recently, when I wired up a 4m pair with WBT NextGen Silver plugs, I stopped at 600 hours. I just leave new cables hooked up to my FM tuner 24/7 and check them from time to time.

What RCA plugs are you using?

jonwoody likes this.
  11. George 47

George 47 Forum Resident

Excellent interview with a very talented guy. He is really enthusiastic and has shown he can work with classical and pop like Lady Gaga and winning an Emmy is brilliant achievement especially for one so young. I liked his comment that if he got the stereo pair of microphones right then he is 90-95% there. Much better than a DiY 24 channel approach to classical music. And yes Peter's vinyl collection is large and varied. Although his German garage/machine music should be taken in small doses. But his whisky is exceptional and well worth a visit:)

jonwoody and Encore like this.
  12. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Well, there isn't any harm in trying ;) I have had good results with mixing cables with a previous speaker.

EDIT: And maybe try first to combine the two speaker cables WITH you SPx jumpers.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    roole likes this.
  13. roole

roole Forum Resident

There is no contest here. Spe with Spx jumpers are way much better than Spa with Spx jumpers. It's not day and night difference but nevertheless...

14. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

But have you tried using both speaker cables with the jumpers? So e.g. SPa to one LF and one HF terminal and SPx to the other LF and HF terminals on each speaker? That's how I rolled with a pair of Pioneer S1EX speakers, and that was a clear improvement even with a very basic second speaker cable.

15. roole

roole Forum Resident

This is how I've testes both cables. Spe or Spa to HF, Spx jumpers to LF.

imgur.com

16. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

For the first ones tested, I use silver plated RCA which I used on Chord Chameleon.
    I mounted them in floating shield connected to the side of the amplifier.
    [​IMG]

jonwoody likes this.
  17. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

They look nice! After they break in, I recommend you try disconnecting the shield at both ends (or do it right away if you’re impatient). This should give you a more open, more detailed sound with bigger soundstage. For short cables with line-level signals, a shield is hardly ever necessary.

jonwoody and Chris.p.l like this.
  18. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Yes, but as far as I can see from the photo only with one of the cables running from amp to speaker? I'm talking about using BOTH cables at the same time AND the jumpers. Sorry if I'm being slow and missing something ...

19. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

[​IMG]

20. roole

roole Forum Resident

How it is possible to use bi-wiring and jumpers simultaneously?

21. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

If your speaker cables were terminated banana and your jumpers were spades it would work. Not sure why one would do that however?

Lowrider75 likes this.
  22. roole

roole Forum Resident

But then there is no need to use jumpers.

jonwoody, Lowrider75 and scobb like this.
  23. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Just look at it as if you're using a thicker speaker cable.
    EDIT: OK, looking at you photo again, I see that your jumper only has one spade. I thought it had spades at both ends. Sorry.

24. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

If you have banana plugs going into all 4 binding posts, you don’t need the jumpers, they are redundant. Jumpers are only needed if you on have a single wire going to one of each of the binding posts(one HF, on LF). The jumpers are used to transfer the signal from the post with the banana plug inserted to the post that doesn’t have anything inserted.

25. Marchino

Marchino Forum Resident

if I look to the photo I think it is not bi wired