Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

You're welcome. I had a TD 160 at one time. No doubt that Thorens decks produce a nice organic soulful sound which I admire a lot. The bearing upgrade will add a lot to an already great table in the form of a quieter background which = greater dynamics. The 3009 is a total classic. The IQ3 once you mount it and add the screws and nuts weighs about 8-9g. That puts it at about the middle of the range for the arm (2-20g). Should be a great match. It may be a little costly to rewire the arm true. But that rewire will make a hell of a difference for sure. Worth the price. Email Peter to find out if AN still sells the 4 wire silver litz tonearm cable. But if you don't want to invest that much in an older arm that makes sense too. The existing wire will not sound bad at all. In the end, you will end up with a really nice setup that will allow the rest of of your AN system to do what it was intended.

JeroenPaco likes this.
  2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

It's listed in their catalog still:

https://www.audionote.co.uk/wires

JeroenPaco and Footsurg like this.
  3. Habitant

Habitant Forum Resident

Hi Andy,

I REALLY like it! This is probably amplifier #10 that I’ve tried to match to my JBL 4429, and it’s the one that’s sticking around.

I almost gave up on the JBL because I couldn’t get them to sound quite right so I approached a local shop to demo a few integrated amplifiers in the same price range. A SuperNait 3, a McIntosh MA5300, Luxman L-550 UX II and the Cobra.

At the time I really considered the Cobra to be the underdog, but it’s the first one I took home and it really impressed me. I did give it back to the shop after a one month demo and purchased the Luxman L-550 UX II.

While the Luxman was great, the Cobra kept nagging at me. A friend offered to buy the Luxman from me and the next day I bought the Cobra.

I’m using it now with an Isotek EVO 3 NOVA and I couldn’t be happier, it really makes the JBL sing.

Monty12, Andy Saunders, james and 2 others like this.
  4. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

Hi, may I ask why you use the Isotek Evo 3 Nova, had you problems with the Cobra? Asking because I already have the Cobra, what difference does that Isotek made?

5. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@Habitant :edthumbs: The Cobra sounds like a winner!

6. Habitant

Habitant Forum Resident

It’s just your basic power conditioner. Cleans up the power, effectively lowering noise floor which lets more of the music through. The Isotek wasn’t bought specially for the Cobra.

Whistle likes this.
  7. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

@Habitant
    what are your impressions of the internal Dac of the Cobra?

8. Habitant

Habitant Forum Resident

I stopped using my Benchmark DAC3 if that’s any indication of how much I like it.

To be fair, I mostly listen to analog sources though.

Whistle likes this.
  9. Habitant

Habitant Forum Resident

Is anyone running subs with their AN integrated?

10. rufusblues

rufusblues Forum Resident

Yes.
    I use a hi to low level convertor connected to the speaker outputs of my Oto Amp, with rca cables from the convertor going to my two Rythmik subwoofers, since the subs only have rca line level inputs. I run my AN/J LXs full range and have the subs crossed over at a VERY low crossover point, and the subwoofer levels are also rather low. Blends perfectly. No issues.
    This is not the convertor I use, but similar idea: https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-RFHLC-Speaker-Signal-Adapter/dp/B009VTDVMU

jonwoody and Encore like this.
  11. Habitant

Habitant Forum Resident

That’s what I was thinking too. I think REL prefers those types of connections.

12. Radiohead99

Radiohead99 Forum Resident

Clement Perry's review of AN Tonmeister Integrated went live.

13. CYF

CYF Active Member

I asked PQ the same question. He recommended SPe bi-wire.

According to the AN components price list, the SPe bi-wire is ~25% cheaper than the SPx single run. That doesn't include the price of the SPx jumper.

scobb and Gjo like this.
  14. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Solid review though I kind of have to question someone being in this game as long as Clement who doesn't realize a low wattage SET amp can power high sensitivity speakers. Unless he was just using that as a reviewing device which is entirely possible I suppose.

Gjo likes this.
  15. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Agreed. Obviously, an 8 watt SET would have no problem driving 98dB/ 8-Ohm loudspeakers (assuming the specs are accurate).

Nice mention of his Ah-Ha! moment in Mike and Neli's Audio Federation room at RMAF in 2009. My Audio Note Ah-Ha! moment came one year earlier in Mike and Neli's RMAF room (with honorable mention to Bob Neill's Amherst Audio AN room at the same show).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    jonwoody likes this.
  16. Mr T.

Mr T. Well-Known Member

Any advice on upgrading the stock 300B valves for a Meishu Tonmeister. The AN 4300E’s are the obvious answer, but I’m swayed by the new production Western Electric 300B’s: notably their 5 year warranty.
    Anybody heard these side by side, or any other options I should consider.

17. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

Been using the WE 300B in my AN amps for many years. Have never tried the 4300's. I can say I have tried the Sophia Princess mesh and carbon plates. I think the Sophias are relabeled TJ tubes. I have tries Shuguang, Cetron, JJ, Sovtek, Svetlana and the Valve Art 300B. The WE 300B is by far the best sounding tube in my amps of the bunch. No other tube I tried could match the pure beauty of the WE midrange. It's low end is punchy and never bloated. The high frequencies are smooth, realistic and never tinny, etched or harsh. Even at high volume. I am still using the same quad for 15 years plus (early 90's manufacture Kansas City). I must have >20,000 hours on these. They still sound amazing and no where near the end. I think WE rates their tubes at 40,000 hours service life. I bought a back up quad in the mid 90's so I think I am set for life.

I have heard the Takatsuki is a very nice sounding tube, but have never listened to them. I have also heard that the EML XLS and the Elrog are both excellent too. Can't comment on those either unfortunately.

Musicophile and jonwoody like this.
  18. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Really getting to enjoy my AN-K SPx SE's.

After fiddling with positioning and sub integration - I am loving the relaxed and spacious presentation. Fantastic micro-dynamics on all genres. :righton:

Joe Spivey, Three quid, Gjo and 2 others like this.
  19. nige harris

nige harris Forum Resident

AN P4 Balanced / Niero Balanced / Jinro Shochu???

Does anyone have direct experience of these amps, how they differ over Non-Balanced nearest equivalents (Conquest / Niero / Jinro Int.) and thoughts on the P4 and Niero being PSE as opposed to SE designs?

Also, any good reviews of these rather rare (particularly the P4B and Niero B), 'beautiful beasts'?

Thanks,

Nige

20. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Was tempted to pull the trigger on a matched pair of WE 300B's but the wait is long and they are just as expensive if not more so than the 4300's.

Michael De Lazzer did a YouTube segment a while back. Tried to get him to do a follow-up review but obviously he's been busy:

21. Mr T.

Mr T. Well-Known Member

Hi Footsburg and Acapella48
    Thanks for your insight, still being swayed to the WE. I don’t mind waiting.
    Anyone using the AN4300E want sway me back...

22. Three quid

Three quid Chief Eggplant

I have the the new WE's, and the 5-year warranty period makes me sleep better at night!

23. Habitant

Habitant Forum Resident

Victor Kung at VK music has the WE 300B for sale

jonwoody likes this.
  24. R.T.Firefly

R.T.Firefly Forum Resident

Would anyone know if the old Oto SE requires a dummy load when turned on without any speakers connected? I was planning to do a session of A-B comparisons between my tube amps with the same set of speakers. I'm planning to use a Beresford switch for that (TC-7210), which theoretically provides a dummy load, but, oddly, it's instruction actually says that the unused amp should be off.

25. Bandoro

Bandoro Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I was thinking of getting an OTO Phono SE Silver Signature with a DAC 2.1x Signature. But, I have suffered from 'scope creep', and when I looked at the budget for an OTO SS then I thought 'I'm in Tonmeister territory'... then of course if I'm going for a Tonmeister then as we're talking AN here I'm pretty much obliged to go Signature, and in the end why not SS?!

Anyway, long story (it really is) short, if I were to go for a Meishu Tonmeister Silver Signature would the DAC 2.1x Signature fall short of the amp and of so what DACs should I consider?

Ahh, the dilemma!

JeroenPaco likes this.