Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I’m still gobsmaked and tempted to go back for another listen before we leave. The sense of energy from that system was really something, and no loss of texture or tonality even at high SPL. Oh god, what have I done...

I think Peter has been known to advocate using a preamp of appropriately high quality with the Ongaku.

2. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Pity that I’m busy this weekend—otherwise we might have met up? :cheers: You would also have been welcome to have a listen at my place. Some other time ...

3. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Next time! Likewise if you ever find yourself in Dresden shoot me a note.

4. Ole Jakob

Ole Jakob Forum Resident

They sure are beauties, both for ears and eyes:). A pleasure just to own such items. Unpacking and setting up my new SPe HE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOS300B, Good Vibes, IanL and 25 others like this.
  5. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Does anyone have a diagram describing how Audio Note uses 4 runs of Lexus speaker cable to make bi-wire for a single speaker? I know that each run of Lexus cabling has two red and two white cables inside of it. I'm not sure why or how you can use 2 runs of the Lexus (8 cables total; 4 red, 4 white) to make a single bi-wire set. Seems like you could do a bi-wire set with a single run.

6. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Just gorgeous wood veneer - what is it?

Ole Jakob likes this.
  7. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Looks like Poplar Burl with the extra gloss option

Ole Jakob and Shiver like this.
  8. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Stunning speakers congratulations!

Ole Jakob likes this.
  9. Ole Jakob

Ole Jakob Forum Resident

Yes, it is poplar burl. I thought it may be too much, but it fits good in my room. Changes character with the changing light :).

Chris C and Jim13 like this.
  10. finn

finn Forum Resident

Of course it is possible to configure a single run of Lexus as a biwire cable just as easily terminate 2 single runs to biwire or run 4 lengths per side as biwire. There are 4 bundle in each cross section, 2 with less stranding but thicker gauge and 2 with finer litz wiring. It's generally better to go for the option of more strands is better sounding with AN cables and only the cost provides the handbrake to most considerations.

11. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@Ole Jakob, they look stunning and will sound it- please report back- enjoy!:righton:

Ole Jakob likes this.
  12. james

james Summon The Queen

i really really wish Audio Note would have an option for grills

gov, Seafinch and Joe Spivey like this.
  13. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Yeah, it was a problem when our nieces and nephew were little. On two occasions, I was less than an inch from having a child finger poked into the tweeter. Only my shouting on the top of my lungs stopped them just short of disaster. None of them tried a second time :laughup:

james likes this.
  14. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

As pointed out above, the 4 bundles of wires are not the same. You really need to use two bundles (same color) in parallel to get the proper tonal balance and proper detail across the full spectrum. Using just one conductor for each run (as in biwiring) will certainly work but you won’t hear the full potential of the Lexus cable. It’s also important to leave the brown outer casing in place for as much of the cable as possible. Removing the casing changes the tonal balance making it too bright and a little edgy.

Another option for Lexus is to use all 4 bundles in parallel as a single conductor.

15. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

How is it possible to use two runs (8 total wires) and solder all that to one banana clip (on the amp side)? It just seems like there'd be too much wire to fit in one banana clip.

16. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

I am not sure how AN makes their connections to bananas. It was fairly easy to connect 2 bundles to an AN spade though.

I use a solder pot for preparing the ends of the Litz wires. It’s very easy to use once you get the hang of it.

17. finn

finn Forum Resident

Not difficult at all, I do it all the time. If you are a part time solder mechanic it might seem a bit hard to manage but if you set the job up correctly, pretty straight forward.

18. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

If I were trying to attach Lexus to a banana, either 2 wires or 4, I would probably use a short “pigtail” wire wrapped around and soldered to the exposed tips of the Lexus wires with the other end soldered to the banana.

I used that same technique when I made some ISIS interconnects. The ISIS cable has 3 bundles per conductor which makes it pretty difficult to attach RCA plugs. I used WBT silver plugs which have nice solder tabs but I still ended up using a very short pigtail (maybe 3/8”). This wire is wrapped around the bundles of Litz wires and soldered to the tabs on the plug. By using such a short wire the bundles of Litz wires are basically butted up to the solder tab so they should have a good electrical connection. The WBT plugs also have set screws which hold the ISIS cable in place to prevent twisting and stress on the solder connections.

I hope that description makes sense. It would be clearer with pictures.

19. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Yeah some otherworldlyness to it, stunning.

Ole Jakob likes this.
  20. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Beautiful! We require pictures of the whole setup.

Ole Jakob likes this.
  21. jsr

jsr Forum Resident

I agree with Fred Hansen on his comments, you will keep all the warmth and gain all the goodness the silver brings. I too was worried about that and did not want to move away from the copper, I started with some cables then ended up going all the way. I find I can't go back now that I have experienced the silver.

22. P300

P300 Forum Resident

Hello. New member here. Here's my first attempt at posting. Hope this works!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Works for me, man. Very nice indeed. Put the system deets up on your profile!

24. P300

P300 Forum Resident

Thanks. Just entered my system profile. Now I'm trying to figure out how to insert my avatar photo.

25. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Beautiful system and a totally gorgeous room to boot! Awesome and thanks for sharing!