Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. gov

gov Forum Resident

I have to admit those break in times are eyebrow raising.

Wonder how much the show systems have been used.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think you should just get the M3 and get used to the knobs. I'm sensing potential regret in the making.

3. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Lol, I fear you may be right.

Sugar Man and Seafinch like this.
  4. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

I also found the opposite and that they continued to get richer for almost 800 hrs

Seafinch likes this.
  5. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

The AN speakers at the last Ca Audio Show have several thousand hours on them

gov likes this.
  6. finn

finn Forum Resident

If you want a numerical figure, an original M3 is about 40% of a current production unit and one 2 years old would be about 70%. The new attenuators and internal changes are really quite significant upgrades to the overall sound.
    As for the action of how smooth they are, very easy and relatively quiet. Because they are 36 step, the general listening range is reached at the 11-12 o'clock position on the knob markers and once you use them a couple of times, easy to adjust to equal output. I'm putting 2 of the NM Nichrome attenuators into an older M6 that arrive on Monday in order to bring it up to more current spec and knowing with the work I have already done with rebuilding the output stage with 2 watt NM tants, blackgate's and Kansei caps, rewiring the internal mains with SPe and a new furutech NFC IEC, it's about to start a new life all over again. One of the most attractive advantages of this type of equipment is that you can take a good but older build and reboot it using the latest quality AN parts.

7. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I bet that your customer loves it once he/she gets it home and gets a few hours on it. That would be a lot of fun if you have had it for years and suddenly you have one that is almost at the same level as brand new!

8. finn

finn Forum Resident

It will actually be to a higher spec if you think 2 watt NM tants sound better than the 1 watt versions and that silver litz sounds better than AN-D copper wire for the power supply even though there has been component changes to tubes used and components in the power supply in the latest factory manufacture. I even have new shiny black knobs coming for it after seeing spartree's M5.

Don Parkhurst and spartree like this.
  9. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

it’s worth it and really part of the fun. with AN stuff it’s about getting the most out of your own music collection.

in my experience, my an-e’s were great out of the box but did get considerably better at the 200 hour mark and then again at the 500-600 hour mark. they just start to fill in more and the bass gets better the more hours you put on them. but from day one you really hear your music in a brand new light.

gov likes this.
  10. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Nice! The black knobs are a little more tasteful than the gold ones, in my personal opinion. I replaced them myself but should have just spec’d them when the phono stage was being installed. The ones I got from hifi collective have the grub screw opposite the position marker, so you see it a little more as opposed to the gold knobs that came from AN which have the screw on the same side as the marker. Maybe hifi collective has older stock? In any event it’s a minor grievance and overall they look quite clean with the rest of the gear:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  11. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Agree with Rolltide. Get a new M3 and you won’t have to worry about the doubt later! The 36-step attenuators are very satisfying to use and it’s easy to maintain the balance.

12. finn

finn Forum Resident

They are listed as either aligned or non aligned depending on the switch or attenuator being used. I think your room has enough black now, the weight of it between the speakers has reached its limit.

Encore likes this.
  13. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

That doesn't take much :D The gold knobs are absolutely tasteless. They look decidedly cheap.

14. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nah the gold and black was a very popular colour combo in the early 1990s which is when the OTO and other AN amps began. I liked the piano black OTO with the gold knobs - now everything is silver which seems popular in the west. I remember the fascination with that Champagne Gold or Rose Gold for a time as well.

But AN offers colour choices which is cool since many companies don't. If you want your amp in Fire Engine Red, Cowboy Shirt Plaid, Racing Green - AN will give it to you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

How about white?

[​IMG]

15. Richard Austen

I like the copper

[​IMG]

16. Jim13

Jim13 Forum Resident

The black with gold knobs is gorgeous!! Slightly blingy , with a 70’s vibe, but that’s just me.

finn likes this.
  17. Richard Austen

Yeah - it looks nice to me - but then I've had it for 15 years now and I tell most folks - if it ugly but sounds good - you can live with the looks - and no matter how sexy it is if it sounds bad it has to go.

This is the OTO Sig - I prefer it t the silver ones to be honest.

[​IMG]

Fred Hansen likes this.
  18. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

I have an Oto Signature with phono stage and consider buying an M3 RIAA. How much better is the M3 RIAA to the Oto's phono stage? Would this upgrade make sense?

Seafinch likes this.
  19. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I’ve kept the gold knobs in a drawer for special occasions. It is getting pretty heavy between the speakers now with all the black. My bank account felt that one too though, so I doubt I’ll be adding any other black boxes for a good while haha...

I do love the copper tops on my Quests though.

20. Richard Austen

Well then you're paying for a phono stage in the OTO that you're not using?

Would it not make more sense - if you plant to spend the money - to buy an M3 Phono Preamp - then sell the OTO Sig and use the money to buy one of their power amps. If there is a P1 Sig for example that would be the same as the power amp Section of the OTO.

https://www.audionote.co.uk/p1

I like the OTO and all but separates always offer more flexibility. I wish the OTO had pre-outs or pre-in so you could use it as a power amp or a preamp so that you could upgrade in stages - Audio Note is SOOOOOO expensive as you move up the line - each level basically doubles the price of the previous level so it would be helpful to be able to do things one at a time. To go from the OTO to level 3 separates you are basically going from around $5k to $20k. Eesh. Fortunately the OTO is really great but still.

The M3 RIAA will be better - in AN - there is always something better. Only you can decide how crazy you want to get.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  21. Fred Hansen

Thanks very much, Richard. Your expert advice is much appreciated. I love the Oto too much to part ways with it. I also know that if I opt for a separate set of power and preamp, I will aim for rather expensive gear such the empress or jinro...

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You try power tube rolling in your Oto? I’ve thought about it. I have some rare oldies.

23. Fred Hansen

Thanks for asking. Yes, it's packed with excellent NOS tubes. It plays wonderfully.

24. Fred Hansen

The higher level phono stages have different designs, though, and that is why I am considering the M3

25. finn

finn Forum Resident

The M3 uses the 2 valve phono stage but with a better power supply if my memory serves me correct. The 5 and higher run the 3 valve version. If you want a very simple upgrade in the 2 valve version, change the first 2 resistors in the chain to 47 k silver resistors from the 1 watt NM tantalum's . Straight forward for a competent tech and appropriate lift in performance.

Encore and Fred Hansen like this.