Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

Yes, please can we focus on the AN gear/user experiences:)
    I'm patiently awaiting my TT2/Arm 1/TT PSU!!!!

2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Agreed and I don't pay attention to resale I just want gear that sounds good. I will say however this mindset cropped up with my cable addiction, buying and flipping cables relentlessly but I've since had counseling and I'm doing much better! :D

3. gov

gov Forum Resident

For me, with hobbies, the second I’m worried about resale I’ve lost the plot.

For investments I care about resale...passions not so much.

alan967tiger and slcaudiophile like this.
  4. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@alan967tiger Would love to hear your thoughts on the combo Alan.:)

alan967tiger likes this.
  5. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

Will be glad to post my thoughts, Andy, I've used TTs for over 30 yrs but this will be my first AN:)

6. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

7. Andy Saunders

:)[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Anyone else tried this and could report their findings.

8. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Well, on a pair of J's, probably the LX model - it was lower level than SPe, I replaced the included wire pieces with Auditorium jumpers, and that gave a big improvement.

9. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Anyone else tried this and could report their findings.[/QUOTE]
    I haven't tried that but I have tried this as was suggested way earlier in this thread...

[​IMG]

Still using the supplied jumper pins however some jumper cables are on my to-do list.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That should work just fine like it is. Don't know what you hope to gain with new jumpers..

Robert C likes this.
  11. Andy Saunders

I haven't tried that but I have tried this as was suggested way earlier in this thread...

[​IMG]

Still using the supplied jumper pins however some jumper cables are on my to-do list.[/QUOTE]

12. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

[/QUOTE]
    Did you find it made much difference?

And are jumper pins like that better than using a bit of speaker cable? (I've always just use a section of whatever cable I'm using).

Thanks.

13. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

In most cases, those tiny pins and brass plates that come with the speakers are not very good compared to jumpers made from high quality speaker wire. I've heard demonstrations where the difference was quite surprisingly big. I would consider such replacement as the first system upgrade to try.

Classicrock and Shiver like this.
  14. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Bump on the question in the quote above. It kind of got overlooked during the Resale Wars of 2019 chain.

15. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Given my experience with jumpers that would also be my advice. However, I don't feel comfortable generalizing here, so I would advice to borrow/buy used/with return option. I bought the Auditorium jumpers used so my financial risk was minimal. I wasn't expecting much but actually the difference was bigger than what I've heard between different speaker cables. As always with me, I couldn't hear a difference right away and thought that I had had my expectations confirmed, but after a day or so I noticed smoother highs and overall more goodness that subjectively felt like quite a significant upgrade. As always YMMV.

16. Steve Hoffman

My AN speaker jumpers are the same pure silver that is in their wire. Isn't that standard with them, or were mine just "special"? If mine are unique, I take back what I wrote above..

Encore likes this.
  17. Neiro

Neiro Forum Resident

I've been using Snell and Audionote speakers since 1985. In the early years I just used the pins supplied. Then I went over to Bi-Wiring so the pins were not an issue. About 10 years ago I realised that I preferred single wiring so the pins were back. I have used solder, copper and silver pins. They are all comprehensively bettered by using a small piece of 'normal' stranded cable or a piece of the loudspeaker cable in use. Better every time over the pins. Easy to try, just do it!

Encore likes this.
  18. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

The wires you used were better than the supplied jumpers Steve.

When I used single wired ISIS speaker cables I bought the biggest gauge silver wire that AN use inside their components to use as jumpers. I actually found that two strands were better than one and in some ways (with ISIS being a little thick sounding) I preferred the single wire to full bi wire. The guy I sold the cables to felt the single wire version with high quality jumpers feeding HF from LF was better and uses them to this day.

Encore likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Even Peter Q. and Warren J. told me to try both ways as well. However, since Peter sent me some lovely Sogon bi-wire, I've just used it constantly.

Don Parkhurst and Encore like this.
  20. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

Nice Steve

21. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Anyone on my DAC query?

22. Three quid

Three quid Chief Eggplant

Does any one know how much a set of SPx or Sogon jumper cables run for?

23. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

There are probably not that many users out there who have gone that exact path and has compared those exact models. Probably only a dealer or Audio Note themselves that are able to answer your question.

24. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

You have a level 3 system, so as a starting point I’d be looking at level 2+ on the DAC. Since digital is not your main focus, perhaps you could consider holding out for a nice used unit. A 2.1x or 2.1x sig will pop up eventually, or you could even ask your dealer to put some feelers out.

Don Parkhurst and Encore like this.
  25. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

You need to ask an official AN dealer. If you’re in the US, send Warren Jarrett a message through the SH message system.

Since the jumpers are so short, the prices should be a lot closer than than with full-length cables. That said, I don’t think it would make sense to use Sogon jumpers with SPx speaker cables. And if you have Sogon speaker cables, you can afford Sogon jumpers!