Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Ooh! Now that would be cool! (Not really, it would be SET and therefore quite warm...)

2. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Hi Richard, I read in one of your posts recently that a full review of the Empress Silver on dagogo.com was immanent, any idea when we may get to see it please?

Andy Saunders likes this.
  3. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

No I have sent in my AN E/SPx AlNiCo review which is currently being edited. I have not yet begun to write...the Empress review. I have a few things on the go at the moment. And I have to push back the Empress Silver a little bit as other items are more time sensitive.

4. MrCopper

MrCopper New Member

Looks like they ignore here such questions, i also asked about some "working" set for empress monoblocks, no one answered :(

5. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

6. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

slcaudiophile likes this.
  7. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Has anyone used the Nuprime CDT-8 Pro with one of the Audio Note DACs, using the AES connector?

8. finn

finn Forum Resident

Maybe one of the reasons your question hasn't been replied to is the fact that NOS tubes have probably doubled in price in the last year and no one is going to recommend anything that becomes more competitive to buy and thus dearer.
    As for 300b tubes, the standard supplied ones are generally Psvane and sound good for the dollars involved. The newer AN moly plate versions are clearly superior in every aspect and if you are happy with the cost then consult your local dealer. If you only have the standard issue Conqueror then that's where I would stop as spending more on output tubes ain't going to achieve much over those.
    Signal tubes, look for any of the VT-231 variety and you will be happy. 5u4g tubes are a crap shoot so best bet is an RCA black plate although with the rise of the tube rolling headphone fanboys and the proliferation of 5u4g rectifier driven headphone amps out there, the price of these is getting steep and there are a lot of used tubes being sold off as NOS. forget U52 tubes.
    I'll have to look at the M3 manual to verify what the tube compliment is currently.

9. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

Great reply, Finn. Another reason might be that there are so many options it's hard to answer and know where to begin. I am no tube expert so I went for top quality NOS of some of the brands with a good reputation and I am pleased with the results

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  10. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I'm afraid of repeating myself, so I'll just link to a recommendation that I have made many times: 6SN7 recommendations for SLP 05 Pre amp
    Just be warned that JAC Music takes a while to ship and gets slow to answer as soon as you have placed your order. But the goodies always arrive after a while.

MrCopper and Fred Hansen like this.
  11. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

A second opinion from one who took my advice: 6SN7 recommendations for SLP 05 Pre amp

MrCopper likes this.
  12. MrCopper

MrCopper New Member

Thanks Encore! Actually i saw these tubes and adapters in his price list few weeks back, when i was checking EML 2A3 tubes price. But because i didnt know anyone, who was using these tubes before, i decided not to go in that way, just to avoid any risk to damage my equipment or something like that.

13. Erocka2000

I have the Conqueror Silver Low Gain amp. This weekend I've been enjoying a RCA VT-231 gray glass. It's has a nice and rich midrange. I also had changed the rectifier to an RCA 5U4G black plate which also seems to work well.

finn likes this.
  14. finn

finn Forum Resident

Wait until you put higher spec 300b's in situ and the changes you have already made become even more noticeable.
    Regarding using VT-231's in the low gain version of the Conqueror, don't. The tube specified for low gain versions is a 6J5 only as the driver tube. There are high quality versions of these tubes available but using a 6SN7 variation is not an option.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  15. Erocka2000

Anyone have experience with non-Audio Note transports paired with Audio Note DACs? The current options I'm looking at are the (new) Nuprime CDT-8 Pro, Pro-Ject CD Box DS2 T and (used) the Bel Canto CD3T, Musical Fidelity M1 CDT, Woo Audio WTP-1 and the PS Audio PWT. These will be connected via the AES connection. Does anyone here have experience with any of these transports or others that work well with Audio Note DACs? Small form factored preferred.

16. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

Forum member MARK66 uses a CEC Transport preferring it to the Audio Note equivalent. Even PQ respects these Chinese made transported.......

17. Erocka2000

I know the CEC transports are among the best out there. Two problems I would have is, 1. I can't seem to find any that are for North American power (120/115v, 60Hz), all seem to be Japan 100V and 2. it's a bit too wide for where it would be placed on the shelf.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  18. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Ironic that a belt drive CD Transport is one of the best out there.. when folk hear W&F on some T/Ts.:D

19. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

The CEC transports, while very good (I have a TL0), are difficult to service since parts have become almost unavailable.
    The TL0 and the next later model were made in Japan, but I understand the later models are all made in China and the company has been bought out, giving rise to a number of available and customer service problems. If you are considering a CEC transport, research it very carefully to determine if the risk is acceptable to you.

Don Parkhurst and Fred Hansen like this.
  20. Don Parkhurst

The very best 300Bs are Western Electric, Takatsuki and Audio Note. They are very expensive but wonderful. You will find a difference and you will have a preference, but I can’t comment on how any of these sound other than the 90s WE.

In my experience I found the next best to be the PSVane Black Treasure. Very good sound and build quality for the money. I didn’t really enjoy the models below these.

I used these in a Meishu Silver Phono for a while and for the last few years in Kassai mono blocks.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  21. Don Parkhurst

I forgot to add the Shuguang WE Replica. These are reasonably priced and more refined than the Black Treasure in my experience.

https://www.thetubestore.com/shuguang-electric-we-300b

Fred Hansen likes this.
  22. Don Parkhurst

One more to mention...
    I had two pairs of Sophia Royal Princess 300Bs. They both blew up, not too long outside of warranty. No offer of a replacement, merely a slight price reduction on a new pair.
    U.S.$1200/pair for the least reliable tubes that I have owned and poor service to go along with it. Not a good experience.

Rolltide and Fred Hansen like this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've used my PS Audio PerfectWave transport with the AN DAC 4 Balanced. And the other way around, actually. But the AN DAC and AN TRANSPORT look like sisters and when "joined" it's just the way it should be..

24. Erocka2000

I'd love to mate the Audio Note DAC with an Audio Note CD transport. It's just that the Audio Note CD transports start at a price that's above my budget, which is around $1,000 (give or take a few hundo).

25. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

What are you all using for jumpers? I saw some folks are plugging one cable to HF and the other to LF. Are most of you just using the stock jumpers or have you moved to something else?