Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Saw this in another forum and though not AN related didn't want to start a new thread about it. A good way to retire your old tubes.

[​IMG]

donkaz likes this.
  2. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Sounds very interesting, but the photo doesn't show. Can you try again?

3. Richard Austen

Perhaps you need to be logged into the other forum I am on to see it.

This is a different photo - hope it works

[​IMG]

Dai, MisterBritt, timind and 10 others like this.
  4. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

This works, thanks. Very nice :laugh:

5. rufusblues

rufusblues Forum Resident

In response to an inquiry about pricing for the Cobra integrated amp, with remote but no built-in dac, Peter Q. indicated via email to me that it will be $4485.00.

6. Richard Austen

That makes some sense - it is priced between the Prima Luna Evo 300 and 400. I figure this would be their main competition and while I have not loved Prima Luna for sound - they offer a lot of features and tube type options.

The EVO 400 PrimaLuna Evo 400 Tube Integrated — PrimaLuna USA

7. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Ouch! Line Magnetic it is then.

I could maybe go $3,500 Cdn, but this will be more like $5,800. Just not an amount that I am comfortable spending on one component. Oh well.

8. james

james Summon The Queen

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It’s a good deal (about what I paid) and when you see the stands are free, a great deal.

james likes this.
  10. jsr

jsr Forum Resident

I am not the best one to ask as I buy all my records on line and have not visited a Toronto hi fi shop in decades. My entire system is Audio Note and I generally buy them over the phone/email with my Audio Note dealer. I have never listened to a single component I own prior to purchasing it...... and I have never been disappointed!
    If I can avoid going to a store for anything, I generally do.

Looks like Dream On has a good read on the local market.

Enjoy TO

Fruff76 likes this.
  11. DeeKay

DeeKay Forum Resident

Used AN-E upgrade question;

I’m aiming for a pair of AN-E Spe/HE when funds permit, which may be a long time. In the meantime I’ve picked up a pair of Es from around 1999 which I’m really enjoying and wonder what’s the best way to improve them within reasonable cost. They have the standard paper / copper drivers and wired internally with AN-L?(it’s pale blue & coaxial). I’m tempted to start with a Lexus re-wire which I think would only cost around £250 with a full run per terminal or would a run per unit be sufficient?

I’ve heard that many go straight for an Spe re-wire but at an estimated 4 times the cost of Lexus are these old dears worthy of it and would I hear the benefit from my level 2 system? I would potentially spend that but would it be better spent on new Hemp units & Lexus cable? If the consensus is that they are worthy of both the Hemp and Silver I’d consider that doing that too.

I thought this may be the best place to get some opinions based on experience rather than conjecture!

The other thought is that if adding some AN Silver is what I need, would it be better spent between the DAC & Amp (Lexus currently) or the Transport & DAC (iSIS currently)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  12. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

Hi all, I'm new to the the Audio Note club, I'm slowly working my way through this thread while currently breaking in my AN J Lx speakers and enjoying every minute of it but I have to say that the above info has been a revelation! Biwire is being ordered this week!

Mulroydave, Salectric and jonwoody like this.
  13. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Nice to have another AN-J/lx owner here, I love mine too, cheers!

BettisDad likes this.
  14. Richard Austen

I might give advice you don't want but what I would do is save your money and be patient and buy a newer but still second hand AN E/SPE with hemp drivers and sell your current speaker.

The reason I say this is because I feel the internal cables has less impact than the Hemp woofer and newer superior cabinetry. The 90s models are closer to the original Snell models - chipboard. Newer versions are 100% Russian birch.

I think money is better spent upgrading other parts of the system and waiting until you can buy a newer AN E with all the other parts upgraded. And do not discount the AN J - if you can live with a little less bass several folks actually prefer the AN J model to the AN E because it is easier to position and causes less room boom if you don't have ideal walls. The AN J has several versions out over $20k as well. I bought the AN K/Spe off a guy upgrading to the AN J/SEC Silver. I would definitely try a set because they can save you thousands.

15. finn

finn Forum Resident

I have to agree with Richard regarding the thought of upgrading basic 99 vintage E's. Not easy extracting the drivers and not really going to achieve much sonically with just a rewire and new drivers won't fit into old cabinets without a lot of work. Best just start saving like crazy or marry for money rather than love.

Dai and Fred Hansen like this.
  16. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

The hemp vs. not-hemp cones is a matter of taste and not necessarily an upgrade. My local dealer personally prefers the not-hemp drivers. Given that DeeKay's speakers are now 20 years old, the other thing to consider is whether the surrounds are still good on the drivers. I've seen a few E's with crumbing woofer surrounds at that age. I can only speculate that the speakers might have been exposed to sunlight (because other speaker that age that I've seen appear fine) or other bad things in the environment, but, it is worth making a serious assessment in that area of concern. The good news is that replacement of the surround is done by a number of outfits, and the results sound good.

I've assisted with driver removals from E's to replace the surround, and it is not an easy task because of the strong adhesives and the gasket used to fit the driver. It should not be attempted by the faint of heart because it involves application of heat to soften the adhesive. The speaker I helped with had a bad surround so there was a way to get to the inside of the speaker to pry the driver free; I have no idea how the driver is removed if one wanted to do so while keeping the driver intact.

As to upgraded parts, like internal wiring, I have not participated in a before and after comparison, but, I have heard different versions of E and J's with differing levels of internal parts, and I am quite surprised about the difference. The speakers don't change radically in character, but, they do improve in sound--they get more top end air and sound a bit more articulate without becoming strident.

17. JezR

JezR Forum Resident

Just to add to the above, removing the driver as you say needs to be done carefully with the front baffle being made of chipboard of the early E's, the speaker needs to be put on it's back for extraction and in a warm environment to soften the gummy gasket material over night, then use a cork screw very gently inserted into one of the drive units screw holes, the tip needs to go in between the back of the driver basket and the front of the shoulder the driver is resting on, just turn slowly and it should budge without marking anything or pulling away bits of chipboard, yes I've seen this happen.

18. Richard Austen

Here is a video for removing the drivers

19. Richard Austen

How to refoam the AN E

20. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

The method shown in the video is useful when the speaker has not been as securely as the one I helped with. Heat, from a heat gun was needed, which is somewhat scary given the veneered surface, in order to extract the driver. The new surrounds were done by someone specializing in that installation.

21. DeeKay

DeeKay Forum Resident

Thanks guys. The drivers are in really good condition fortunately. The previous owner has modified the external cabinet by removing the grill holes and refinishing the veneer so the units have been out for that. I had to take one out to re-solder a joint and it isn’t bonded currently. Maybe that needs to be improved upon, even with blu-tac as a gasket?

I take your point on not spending too much on them, my expectations are realistic in that I’m still intending to get a modern pair of HEs but I’m so impressed by the sound and at much less than I paid for my AZ-Thee Hemps new (including proper Stands filled with both lead & sand by the sound & weight), it made me think if there’s something worthwhile doing to take them up a notch I can justify it, particularly as I’ll probably be selling the Threes.

Larry I, I think it’s the prospect of the gains in your last paragraph are driving me toward an upgrade and probably with AN Silver in one form or another. It would be interesting to know the best part of the chain to introduce it, whether in the cabinet or between the DAC & Amp / Transport & DAC. CD is my primary source.

22. Richard Austen

LOL - Audio Note Silver Coin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't remember if I posted this. The Hong Kong dealer apparently requested that Peter make these for him.

And people think I am an overthetop fan - I mean this is on another level :)

Shiver and jonwoody like this.
  23. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

A new currency unit?

1 Qvortrup = 17 USD.

jonwoody, kessi and JanJ like this.
  24. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

Hi all. So I'm ordering some Lx speaker cable from Hifi Collective and I'm gonna make some 2:4 biwire. This might sound like a daft question but is there a specific way to wire into the binding posts that will give better results sonically? It's just that there was quite a big difference when I tried @Salectric idea.

Thanks in advance.

Ps, I've ordered aquarium sand for the stands and the gear to make @Rob Humes pads so I'll be busy with that project this weekend!

jonwoody and Mulroydave like this.
  25. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

Ps, does anyone know what glue bonds silicone rubber to metal?