Studer A827 Gold Edition (24-track recorder)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Edward Yawn, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I thought they made the last one a few years ago.

The Studer is a noticeably better sounding machine than the Otrai MTR-90.

The Studer A-80 is my favorite even though some of them are a pain to align (the needles bounce around when you move the pots). I worked at a studio that had one. We got a seamless punch in/out mod that was quite nice. They're really gentle on the tape.

Have you seen the prices on MTR-90s? I saw a couple of them for around $6k!

2. arrakian

arrakian Forum Resident

I remember reading somewhere that Neil Young just purchased two nw ones for an upcoming project; don't know if they were really "new".

3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I used to work with an A-80 daiily and yes they were a pain to align. My first day at Dawnbreaker I was really not that experienced with the big time. My first session was with Roy Halee and I had to align the A-80 24tk in front of everybody. The second was watching over my shoulder busting my chops when one of the needles was no longer splitting zero. :rolleyes:

They sure did sound good though. :edthumbs:

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The Otari isn't a bad sounding machine... It's sounds great but Studers (827 & A-80) have always sounded better to me.

One thing I love about the Otari is the long crossfade on punch in/out. You can almost punch blindly and and still have a good punch.

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The Studers I've used have a bit more solid and deeper sounding low end. The Otari MTR-90 (a brand new one) was slightly thinner sounding even when playing back tapes from the Studers. Still, the MTR-90 is a great sounding machine. I'd have no issue with using one.

I transfered a bunch of 2 inch tapes to RADAR using the Otrai. I was curious to hear what they sounded like when transfered on a Studer. After hearing the difference I re-transfered everything using the Studer. It's only a slight difference but it can really add up over 24 tracks.

6. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Last I heard, the Studer is no longer being made, and the factory is trying to get rid of their stock of the machines, so they have lowered the price. You can buy a brand new one for $25,000.

I am more of an Ampex type myself. I love the way an Ampex MM1200 sounds. I think it is way better than the Studer machines. The Ampex ATR-124 is also a great sounding machine.
    The ATR-102 uses class A cross coupled balanced inputs and outputs, while the MM1200 uses transformers. It depends on the sound you want, the warmth of the transformers or the transparency of the active design.

Right now you could get a used MM1200 for around $2,000 to $5,000 and have it restored by Mike Spitz at ATR Services for around $4,000. You would end up with one fantastic sounding machine! Since I actually have a regular job now, I will be able to afford to have my ATR-102 restored. I am now the first call front of house engineer for the Elgin Symphony Orchestra in Elgin IL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.