Studio albums that have an entire alternate version available (studio recordings, not mix/mastering)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Good catch. Also worth noting that I believe two of the tracks on the issued album were the original recordings with Brion. I know the title track was - pretty sure there was one more, too...

bataclan2002 and Parachute Woman like this.
  2. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Really?
    I just brought home an early press on vinyl that faded out - I'd never heard that fade out before.
    My MFSL vinyl has the cold ending - which came out in '82.
    I assumed the 'cold ending' came from a later mix - which I would have assumed CD's would have.
    Hmmmm…...

bataclan2002 likes this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The early 2000's CD reissue of Bill Evans Alone has alternate versions of every song.

4. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Pearl by Janis

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

hmmmmm....is right, i have been trying to find the cold ending on CD for years and years.

6. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

The Detroit mix also has strings.

It was just an earlier mix of the album based on ideas Marvin adapted from the rough mixes he would take home at the end of a session (ie; hard-panning two alternate lead vocals).

7. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

The Nash the Slash "Blind Windows" release includes 2 versions of the "Bedside Companion" EP - the original version along with "The Marsden Editions", which are the same songs played at the wrong speed. Toronto's CFNY-FM radio host David Marsden played the 45 RPM Ep at 33.3 RPM accidentally one night and Nash liked the result.

Runicen likes this.
  8. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

[​IMG]

Mike Oldfield - Man on the Rocks - super deluxe edition
    disc one the main vocal album
    disc two all instrumental version of the album
    disc three all demo version of the album plus 3 tracks of alternate mixes

By the way, for me the demo version is superior all the way through. Why that wasn't tweaked and used as the official album baffles me. :sigh:

Runicen likes this.
  9. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Van Halen made several demo tapes before they were signed by Warner Bros. in 1977. Most of the songs on their first album were taken from earlier demos:

1. Runnin' With The Devil (demo produced by Gene Simmons in late 1976/early 1977)
    2. Eruption (was not demoed prior to the first album, but was played in concert as early as 1975)
    3. You Really Got Me (from the Warner Bros. audition tape in 1977)
    4. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love (was not demoed prior to the first album, but it was played live in 1977)
    5. I'm The One (Warner Bros. demo, 1977)
    6. Jamie's Cryin' (does not exist in an earlier form, as it was written during sessions for the first album)
    7. Atomic Punk (an instrumental rehearsal from 1977 exists)
    8. Feel Your Love Tonight (Warner Bros. demo, 1977)
    9. Little Dreamer (Warner Bros. demo, 1977)
    10. Ice Cream Man (demoed in 1976)
    11. On Fire (demo produced by Gene Simmons in late 1976/early 1977)

10. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Strictly Personal/Mirror Man/It Comes To You In A Plain Brown Wrapper

Don and crew recorded this set of songs first as a follow up to Safe as Milk in late 1967, but Buddah Records refused to release what would have been a 2LP (what a stupid decision!!!). They went back into the studio in mid 1968 to re-record the songs for Blue Thumb, but it was heavily fx-ed and psyched up before coming out as "Strictly Personal". Don and the band hated the sound and wanted to re-record it yet again, but moved on to create Tout Mask Replica. Buddah then decided to put out some of the original sessions in 1971 as Mirror Man, and years later put out the rest of the tracks as bonus cuts from the cd issues of SAM and MM. Sundazed collected it all on vinyl as "Brown Wrapper" which was the original name of the album.

11. JSUB

JSUB Forum Resident

Holocaust In Your Head by Extreme Noise Terror - Original lp release in '89 was recorded in 1988, later cd releases were from a re-recording in Jan 91

nosliw likes this.
  12. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Same with Henry Mancini's first album of exotica.

Crimson Witch and geo50000 like this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The '80s Steppenwolf album Rock & Roll Rebels was re-recorded in the '90s as Feed the Fire. (There are three tracks difference), replacing the weaker songs on the originl).

14. Raoul97202

Raoul97202 Forum Resident

Badfinger's Straight Up expanded CD has almost the whole album with alternate versions.

maui jim and wayneklein like this.
  15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Here's one that fits the original criteria tightly:

Folksinger Eric Andersen released an album in 1966 called 'Bout Changes 'n' Things.

But the influence of Dylan going electric caused him to rerecord the entire album in 1967 — new versions of each of the songs with added keyboards, bass and drums. This was released as 'Bout Changes 'n' Things Take 2.

The identical 12 songs appear on both albums, though their order was resequenced. Apparently these are completely new versions, as the timings for each song do not correspond between the two albums.

maui jim and uzn007 like this.
  16. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

The two newly released albums, Badfinger and WYWH basically recreates the album

17. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Didn't know that. I wish they would have kept the original jacket, the stereo version is weird and creepy:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

deredordica likes this.
  18. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Many of Elvis' albums are available in alternate versions, thanks to the "first takes" sections on many FTDs (the number increases even more if you compile the alternate albums yourself from the officially-available alternate takes).

19. bill_wall

bill_wall Member

Jean-Michel Jarre reperformed Oxygene for 30th anniversary in 2007. It sounds more or less the same as original but the sound is even crispier.

20. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' On (Detroit Mix)

Diana Ross - Diana (Chic Mix)

N.E.R.D. - In Search Of... (scrapped early version that was all electronic, final version used live instruments)

CBackley and maui jim like this.
  21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Kim Wilde just put out a set of remasters with bonus discs. The most extensive is on Catch As Catch Can which has an alternate version with demos and original unused mixes.

So you could lay it out with the original track listing as:
    1. House of Salome (rough mix)
    2. Back Street Joe (rough mix)
    3. Stay Awhile (rough mix)
    4. Love Blonde (7″ version) - doesn't meet the criteria but whatever!
    5. Dream sequence (instrumental demo) or Dream sequence (in reverse)
    6. Dancing in the Dark (rough mix)
    7. Shoot to Disable (rough mix) or Shoot to disable (original mix)
    8. Can You Hear It (rough mix)
    9. Sparks (rough mix)
    10. Sing It Out For Love (rough mix)
    11. Sail On (original version) (previously unreleased track)

c-eling likes this.
  22. Ref98

Ref98 Forum Resident

ELP
    Brain Salad Surgery Razor and Tie disk set 2014 .Disc # 2 has The Alternate Brian Salad Surgery.

maui jim likes this.
  23. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
    Primal Scream - Give Out But Don't Give Up

24. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Both takes of Coltrane's Ascension are also in print.

uzn007 likes this.
  25. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

The Impossible Dream - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.