Studio albums that have an entire alternate version available (studio recordings, not mix/mastering)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Didn't Cracker also cover 'Tusk'?
    Then there is the Laibach cover of 'Let It Be'.

KeninDC and uzn007 like this.
  2. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

The ones I thought of were:

The Ghost Of A Saber Tooth Tiger (aka Sean Lennon and Charlotte Kemp-Muhl).
    Their albums 'Le Carotte Bleu' (full band) and 'Acoustic Sessions' (just the duo) are virtually the same set of songs.

The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
    The cd contains the studio album, but the original vinyl has them re-performing it live-no-overdubs, again in the studio and not in front of an audience.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

'Twas Camper Van Beethoven.

uzn007 and KeninDC like this.
  4. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

It also gives them an opportunity to license to advertisers or other users, their master of a song that they own, rather than the Virgin getting all of that income. The Cracker guys would get more money that way. Squeeze did that with "Spot The Difference".

KeninDC likes this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Probably already mentioned: the King Crimson CD/DVD releases.

jlf likes this.
  6. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

That's the one and there are also version's of "Tapestry" by Bob Belden and the Isley Brothers album "Harvest For The World" by Ronnie Laws.
    Blue Note Cover Series

phillyal1 likes this.
  7. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh (well, except "In Time").

8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

I hadn't considered that, but I guess it does!

Alas, this never came to fruition, and the vinyl of Get Behind Me has the same recordings as the CD. The plan was to record the entire album live direct-to-acetate way (in New Zealand, I think?), but for some reason it got abandoned.

Edit - mentioned earlier, here:
    The White Stripes / Get Behind Me Satan Promo Vinyl

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  9. Elek.-maxe

Elek.-maxe Forum Resident

Did anyone mention
    Mike Olfdield - Tubular Bells / Tubular Bells 2003 ?

In 1993 Depeche Mode released their album "Songs of Faith and Devotion" twice - after the tour startet as "... live!"
    OK, Jethro Tull did a "Aqualung Live" as well but years, musicians and vocals later - not quite a must-have.

The Human League did a remix of "Dare!" (most of) as The League Unlimited Orchestra "Love and Dancing" in 1982

Soft Cell's "Non-stop erotic Cabaret" reduced and remixed as "Non-stop exotoc Dancing"

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

David Lee Roth released a Spanish-language version of his Eat 'em And Smile album. Same exact record musically but the vocals are all redone in Spanish.

11. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

The Gauster/ Young Americans
    U2 pop they have made alternative versions of Some tracks.

12. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

they're not different recordings though, i.i.r.c., just a different mix. except for maybe 'some kind of love, perhaps?

cheers,
    rob

plynthe and Adam Bosman like this.
  13. Elek.-maxe

Plus Kraftwerk recently re-recorded 7 of their albums:
    Autobahn
    Radio-Activity (+ Radioaktivität, now they are really different versioions)
    Trans Europe Express (+ Trans Europa Express)
    The Man Machine (+Die Mensch-Maschine)
    Computer World (+ Computerwelt)
    Techno Pop (+ german version)
    Tour de France

The Mix 3-D now is simply a compilation of the tracks of these other re-recordings, it originally was a re-recording in itself

nosliw likes this.
  14. Elek.-maxe

Tom Lehrer re-recorded his first album "Songs by Tom Lehrer" (1953) in the 1960s for Reprise Records - in stereo, his Lehrer-Records one was mono-only.
    He also did his first two albums as Livealbums, with different name.
    One of these Livealbums was even released with two different recordings, a special Australian recording for the Australian market...

citizensmurf and jlf like this.
  15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Not quite - the recordings of half the songs are exactly the same on both records.

16. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Suicidal Tendencies re-recorded their first album in its entirety about a decade later.

Black Sabbath issued a deluxe edition of their album Eternal Idol with both the “official” released version with Tony Martin on vocals and the original recordings with Ray Gillen on vocals. But I don’t recall if it was just a vocal swap. Still, two totally different versions of the album.

Back in 2000 or so, Prince said he was re-recording his entirety Warner Brothers back catalog to get around the whole squabble he had with WB over his masters. I still hope those versions will be released, even though they will probably be dreadful.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  17. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Where is this. I only have a British reissue with a few bonus tracks.

18. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

XTC "Apple Box" contained the albums "Apple Venus Volume 1" and "Wasp Star (Apple Venus Volume 2)", along with their counterpart home demo albums "Homespun" and "Homemade".

ted321 likes this.
  19. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

mono and stereo?

20. This has to be one of the most misleading titles for an archival release I've ever seen... Apart from the version of Sleeping On The Sidewalk being a live recording (which might even be edited from several performances), other tracks on this "studio album" seem to have been similarly put together after the fact, and at least one song has evidence of vocal pitch correction, while some are merely different mixes as opposed to alternate takes. Despite all this, it somehow remains one of the more interesting titles QPL has put out in recent years, and I remain in hope that future annual packages in the ongoing 40th anniversary campaign follow its level of ambition - an expanded Live Killers containing the full Hammersmith '79 show remains a personal dream!

andrewskyDE and Benn Kempster like this.
  21. In Search Of, the first album by N*E*R*D, was originally released in a version that was more in line with other Neptunes productions of the same era. However, it was then reissued with Spymob helping give the group its own sonic identity, plus a few of the earlier skits between songs were edited out. While the more electronic-based initial treatment is a curio, I vastly prefer the later reworking...

22. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

Lucinda Williams - Sweet Old World (recently redone in a newly re-recorded version) and 'Blessed' (Deluxe edition includes a bonus disc - 'The Kitchen tapes' of the acoustic demos for each song)

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On the Edge Of Town (the full album was performed in sequence in December 2009 for 'The Promise' box set. No audience as such so you could technically call it an alternative studio version I suppose)

andrewskyDE, linclink and Bunkweasal like this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And this one has shockingly never been issued.

DeeThomaz and linclink like this.
  24. Bunkweasal

Bunkweasal Forum Resident

Richard Hell & the Voidoids' 'Destiny Street' (1982) was re-recorded a few years ago using basic rhythm tracks featuring Robert Quine, with ex-Voidoid Ivan Julian, Marc Ribot and Bill Frissell doing the guitar parts, plus new vocals from Hell.

DeeThomaz and linclink like this.
  25. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Yes, the stereo version was recorded a few years later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.