Studio albums that have an entire alternate version available (studio recordings, not mix/mastering)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Yma Sumac - Fuego del Ande (mono and stereo versions are different performances)

2. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

OK, I'm not reading all 6 pages of replies so please forgive me if someone else beat me to this one.

BOSTON! It was the first one I thought of when reading the title of the thread. They recorded the entire album in their home studio that had professional equipment. When they got signed Columbia made them rerecord the whole thing.

uzn007 and c-eling like this.
  3. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

The Thorns' self-titled and only album has a two disc version circulating with "acoustic" versions of every song on the album. For my money, the acoustic versions are the ones to hear!

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Well, Songs For Drella kinda applies--the Laserdisc is an alternate performance. Like the original, it is 'live' but has no audience

Runicen likes this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Is it available?

6. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

My favourite version of Tubular Bells!!!

thematinggame likes this.
  7. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Here's one that has just been released (Dec 1st, 2017) --

Minnie Riperton -- "Perfect Angel" Deluxe Edition
    Has 1 CD of the original album and a second of the complete album in alternate takes.

jlf likes this.
  8. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

The Band moe. released in 2012 the album
    What Happened to the La Las it had 2 disc's the 2nd had an acoustic version of the album.

9. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi Forum Resident

The super delux edition of Achtung Baby has a bonus disc version of the entire album. The kindergarten "Baby" alternative album - it's not bad, pretty interesting.

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Bryan Ferry was going to rerecord the who first Roxy album as solo B sides but only finished three tracks

cmcintyre likes this.
  11. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

VU - Loaded. An entire alternate version of the album is on Disc 2 of the Fully Loaded edition frim 1999.

Runicen, jlf and ccbarr like this.
  12. Stu66

Stu66 Forum Resident

In 1996, Question Mark & The Mysterians re-recorded and released their "96 Tears" LP (along with retakes of 4 more of their tunes) 30 years after the fact while their back catalog was stuck in Cameo / Parkway limbo.

Michael P and ccbarr like this.
  13. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken the Deluxe reissue of Roy Orbison's Mystery Girl has demos of each song.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Trans Europe Express and probably some more albums as well.
    Even 'Showroom Dummies' has a third vocals version - in French!

nosliw likes this.
  15. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

The Nico album's a great example - both were available commercially within a short time of the other. Completely new recordings on the second.

A partial example is Lene Lovich's Stateless album.

Promoted as a remix, it featured about five or six new recordings. As far as I know the original version was first available on red vinyl in the UK, then with grey labels and black vinyl in the UK and also a pic disc. I'm not sure it was made available anywhere else. After that the remix was made available, with some tracks being remixed and sequenced differently for some markets.

Beamish13 likes this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Bedford also did an orchestral version of Hergest Ridge, but reportedly it was so bad (or boring) it never got an official release.

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Does the demo material in Pink Floyd's The Wall Immersion box set count?

18. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

I count four though :

Remake/Remodel
    2.h.b.
    Chance Meeting
    Sea Breezes

All 'b' sides to his solo singles.

19. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Bjork's last album Vulnicura was recorded in a standard version as well as a studio version with Bjork accompanied only by a string section.

20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Samson's first album "Survivors" has the original version with Paul Samson singing the songs and then Bruce Dickinson singing the songs on the 2001 reissue.

The Cure Greatest Hits has the original versions and a limited edition of acoustic versions.

Runicen likes this.
  21. irong

irong Forum Resident

The first one that came to mind has been mentionned already and I'll mention it again because it's just awesome: the Paris 1919 reissue has got one alternate version of every song of the album in the exact order, and all of them are, to some extend, interesting to hear. When I put this CD I invariably listen to the whole bunch of bonus tracks after the album.

Another one is Magnolia Electric Co by Songs: Ohia. The 2013 10-years anniversary deluxe edition presents acoustic demos for all the songs that would eventually be recorded with a band by Steve Albini and become the official album, except for one song I think (Almost Was Good Enough, that's the name of the song, no pun intended).

Coincidentally these are two of my favourite albums ever.

NumberEight likes this.
  22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If you've got The Life House Chronicles and Rigor mortis sets in you can easily make alternative version of Who's Next.

23. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

plynthe and uzn007 like this.
  24. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Tom Lehrer rerecorded his 1953 self released 2nd record for Reprise a decade later. Same songs, some with updated lyrics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.