Stupid question about cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by workhorse, May 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Workhorse,

I think you are also correct. It takes a little bit of time for your ear/brain to adjust to the sound, and after that happens, the system sounds better. If you have ever participated in a true A/B comparison, where level-matched components are instantaneously switched, you can be confounded by that adjustment process. After a switch from A to B, A might sound better, but, after you get used to B, the switch back to A might make B sound better. I've also experienced this with linestages that offer instant, remotely controlled, changes in phase/polarity--when inverting both channels, with some recordings, there is a distinct change in sound, but, which is "better" is confused by the brain adjustment process.

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

I am not sure that playing as such affect the sound by warming. But ambient temperature has significant impact on the frequency response of the cartridge. So a cartridge played at 18°C or 28°C may sound quite different. See Yosh link below.

Note on Record Specifications

3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Uh, not to pull the black card on ya, I'm talking about Koetsu stone bodies, Airtight Supreme. (I had the upper end Lyras too (original Parnassus, and the Titan i when it was their top cartridge), but it's been too long to rely on my memory of their warm up behavior). I think that's pretty good quality. Don't think that's the issue and I don't see cartridge warm up as a big deal. I'm not trying to be a dick about this--- just responding to your suggestion I use better quality stuff to make the observations I have (none of which are writ into stone -if somebody doesn't hear changes in cartridge behavior after a couple sides, I'm not gonna say otherwise). We cool?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Kuzma2arms copy 2 by bill hart, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Jimi Floyd and Optimize like this.
  4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Lol, no, that's perfect. It's just that sometimes I see people splitting hairs and you have to wonder why don't they just enjoy the music and even the equipment. It is not like if anything at any cost will sound like the real thing and even then, the sound of the real might be overrated.

5. workhorse

workhorse Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes. Last night the first thing I played was Blood Sweat & Tears 3, and the opening salvo ("H-De-Ho") was so startling, so powerful, I almost jumped out of my seat. Then, after the side 1 was over, I played the opening track again, and this time it sounded nice and normal.

Was it my ears getting used to the salvo, or the cartridge limbering up, hard to say (it's basically anyone's guess).

6. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

You have stupid questions and stupid answers. I don't think the question was stupid since the OP was only looking for information, but this belittling answer definitely was. I have no idea why an alleged professional would think this was an appropriate response.

7. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I don't agree that I belittled him here. (1) I told him that I do not think it is true (but I did not say emphatically that "IT IS NOT TRUE", just that I dont think so. (2) I emphasized that volume setting cannot possibly make a difference, so he shouldn't concern himself with that concern. (3) I told him that HIS use of his word "stupid", I would label as "supposedly", because I don't mind considering and answering the question. And (4) joked that his title, his words not mine, is more accurate than anything else in his post. If he was offended, wouldn't it make more sense for HIM to tell me? So instead, you think it is just fine that you offended me. I never noticed that you tried to help him with an answer or your opinion. Sounds to me like your "belittling" is hypocritical.

In this case, I apply the saying that when you point your finger at someone, there are 4 fingers pointing back to yourself.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  8. workhorse

workhorse Forum Resident Thread Starter

Let's do less of 'feeling offended' and more of talking about the things we are passionate about -- music and good equipment to enjoy music reproduction on.

Btw, I'm not offended in the least, especially since I am extremely clueless about cartridges, turntables, the whole nine yards :)

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

That's a pretty intense paper, never saw it before. Thanks for posting. :)

10. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Your welcome. I think his pages are worth reading more than once...

Site Map

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.