Sturgill Simpson - Sound and Fury 2019 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by notesofachord, Sep 11, 2019.

1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Not everything needs analyzing as some Dylanesque moment or being viewed as an “intentional left turn” for the sake of proving some great point. I suspect Sturgill just makes the album he wants to make — whatever music moves him at that point in time.

Plenty of artists have side-projects or alternate bands to explore other musical personas, Sturgill just stuck with his own name. But so have others. I remember in the 90’s when Beck went from Odelay > Mutations > Midnight Vultures. That was a fun ride. Miles Davis did his share of genre jumping/creating. Nick Cave has leaped about. It happens...

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I was just trying to guilt them. Nobody wants to be that person who booed when Dylan went electric.

Philip Davis, bzfgt and lucan_g like this.
  3. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Just listening now on tidal
    Last Horse in Town is much too noisy for old people like me
    But I can imagine just how good that noisy song would sound live
    Otherwise I think the sound of the record is just fine
    I don’t think young musicians should be criticised for making different sounding records or for making similar sounds
    As long as what they are doing is true to themselves and continue to make records that don’t consider their audience or money as the justification for making them

Philip Davis and Alan57 like this.
  4. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Just bought the LP. The edge itself is rough to the touch and little slivers of vinyl were still dangling from the edge. My RCM is broken so I don't dare play it until I can clean it properly.

500Homeruns likes this.
  5. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

Where did that come from. I had him down as a well-mannered sitter on the country/rock fence capable of medium-paced Americana. I didn't realise he could do that.

It's exciting when an artist does something different, but I just can't think of anything as brilliantly different as this.

6. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I was just reading the liner notes on the inside sleeve of the vinyl. It's cool to see he co-wrote a song with John Prine (track #4, "A Good Look").

7. It will be interesting to see if this is a one off or a true stylistic shift. Beck has always been a pastiche artist ala Tarantino jumping from one genre/theme ironically to another, that’s what (em)powers him. Cave essentially does Cave: ironic Brechtian singer songwriter, not a lot of genre variance but drama intensity variances. Miles is whole another league, seeing the big picture compositional evolutions and patterns of his times, but he also wasn’t trying to write 3-5 minute pop/rock/country tunes.

8. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Canadians being punished yet again. CD not out until 10/11 here. :confused:

9. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

How bout the "F**K YOUR SPEAKERS" written between the credits and the Elektra records logo?? Love it!!

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

It's also on his official t-shirt in gold letters below a cracked speaker.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  11. Cool hand luke

Ahhh, that's the T-shirt that was referenced a few posts back, I'm guessing?

ralphb likes this.
  12. Cool hand luke

Also cool to see that Elektra logo, me being a Doors/Butterfield/Love fan:cool:

YardByrd and 500Homeruns like this.
  13. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

But I like my speakers :cry:

14. garryg99

garryg99 Forum Resident

You might want to delve into his previous band, Sunday Valley.

15. Cool hand luke

Hahaha me too!

16. Cool hand luke

Wow, just started listening to it. Holy ****. I dont think I'll be listening to anything else for the next week at least...4 songs in, I'm blown away. This guy is for real. God Bless him for going where the music's taking him.

17. pjpitt89

pjpitt89 Forum Resident

2 listens in and really digging it. Listened to the vinyl as well, good sound and a nice pressing overall. It did seem to have a bit of surface noise but it was difficult to detect since most of the album is quite loud and layered.

YardByrd likes this.
  18. jparis51

jparis51 Forum Resident

And his appearance with Chris Stapleton on SNL last year...

19. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of Sturgill and absolutely love this new release.He just keeps moving forward with his music and that's to me not something many in music do.
    This is such a cool song,sounds like Pink Floyd recording in Nashville with George Jones.

Maybe they should have added this as a bonus track to please the die hard Country fans ;)Sturgill Simpson - The Dead Don't Die [Official Video]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  20. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Great album, love it. Have the vinyl at home so looking forward to getting that played next weekend. Sounds like a continuation from the Sugar Daddy track he did for the Vinyl series a couple of years back.

JuanTCB and Soundslave like this.
  21. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Ahhh, I genuinely thought you were saying he had a t-shirt with “Not suitable for the Steve Hoffman forum” on it :D

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Hardly, this Forum is one of the few places where this album will get the love it deserves.

Philip Davis and YardByrd like this.
  23. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Finally cleaned and spun the LP four times. Love it. Very American and as my Finnish wife points out "dripping testosterone" (she really likes it too)... "Fastest Horse in Town" is the best thing he's ever done imho.

KeninDC likes this.
  24. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Just listened/watched it on Netflix.
    It is not fully my cap of tea, but a good record indeed. Very, very listenable! Never thought it was a country! My wife digs it even more then me )).
    But video is absolutely mesmerizing, and works so well together...
    Sound is horribly compressed, wonder is vinyl version is better...

Philip Davis likes this.
  25. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

This album is stunning.

Philip Davis, bzfgt and The MEZ like this.