Sturgill Simpson - Sound and Fury 2019 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by notesofachord, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Song was good until it ended anyway. I'm somewhat surprised that the upcoming tour is being booked in arenas though... is Sturgill that well known or this album selling that much?

2. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

His Detroit date is at the Masonic Temple theatre which only holds 4600.

3. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Philly show is at The Met. 3500 capacity

4. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Great Rock record

5. Davido

That makes sense. But the Austin show is at the University of Texas' arena which holds about 16-17 K. Obviously this cannot sell out, perhaps they will "half" the arena to make it feel more intimate. They have done that in the past.

6. GK

GK Forum Resident

Pittsburgh date announced and I was gonna buy tickets but a trusted music loving friend warned me about the opener's (Tyler Childers) crowd. She advised two show she's seen were ruined by his fans...violent, rude, disrespectful of venue, etc. I know nothing of him or his music, and I feel weak worrying, but I would be bringing my teenage son....any validation from anyone here?

7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I am listening to the hi res version on Qobuz at the moment. Second time I have played it today. First off, the music is incredible. So layered. I love every instrument used and his voice is wonderful. Songs flow as I would hope for these tunes.

it is the most compressed thing I have heard in a long time. Such a shame. My imagination has to fill in the blanks on how deep this sound could be. I haven’t listened to the non-hi Rez version, but sheesh. Such a shame.

I will prolly buy the hi res download because the music is worth $10 to me, but I will keep my ear to the rails on a different mastering of this, but I ain’t holding my breath.

YardByrd likes this.
  8. gov

gov Forum Resident

MSG?!?!

9. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Nice Thread, OP! :righton:
    :agree: Black Keys: I heard track, Sing Along. though a cable tv music streaming channel & thought it was The Black Keys, initially. It wasn't until the text came up that I learned it was him, which I was surprised, b/c I remember checking him out a couple of years ago, but finding a little too folkish/americana for me. I can listen to the folky-type stuff, sometimes; it's just not a particular fav, This I picked up immediately after hearing that song & track samples. 5/5* :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Sent to music-loving friend, too, who wasn't aware of him & they were stoked! :edthumbs:
    Remember To Breathe to me, seems to have that Black Keys sound crossed w/song "Lunatic Fringe" (80s song heard on Miami Vice/not the theme song & I'm sure used on other tv/movies, too) & Pink Floyd - both songs make me think of Comfortably Numb. I have no issues w/hearing influences! :winkgrin:

Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. Andrewscag

Andrewscag Active Member

Well you all have convinced my to spin this one again. First two go arounds didn’t interest me too much. Maybe have at it after a couple brews at wake the old deaf dog levels...

11. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Can anyone with the vinyl comment on how it sounds? Any chance that it got a different mastering than the download or CD versions?

12. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Vinyl sounds better than the CD (I have both), not quite as bricked, but even the vinyl is rather bricked (for a vinyl), and not the the best mastering/DR one would want, but again, not as bad as the CD.

jeffsab likes this.
  13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe Thread Starter

Similar to David Bowie's final two albums, then. Loud, compressed mastering, but not as bad on LP.

bzfgt likes this.
  14. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I’ve never seen Tyler Childers but this sounds like bs. It depends on the venue. I’ve seen Jamie Johnson at a bar where fans acted this way. It was the bar and not Jamie Johnson that allowed it to happen. It seemed like the patrons would have acted that way for whoever was playing. I’m guessing Tyler Childers has had to play the same types of places.

bzfgt and GK like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I agree.

jeffsab likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Some artists bring a bad crowd. David Allen Coe's crowd is just plain terrible.

Nice Marmot and GK like this.
  17. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Yes, but David Allen Coe has years of outlaw country cult reputation. I’m not sure Tyler Childers has a fan “army” yet.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Crazy good record!! Love the sound he got, the energy is amazing. He took a risk I guess, so glad he did. Only record of his that does it for me.

YardByrd likes this.
  19. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Chris DeVoe, Crispy Rob and jeffsab like this.
  20. Davido

anyone have any info on Sturgill's livestream out of Nashville tomorrow (Friday)? Guess I may just tune in, wondering if it would/could be some approximation of the planned show for the tour that was cancelled.

21. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

I read somewhere that the livestream is going to have a bluegrass-style band, so it will probably be different than the tour show.

Davido likes this.
  22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

This record sounds like the last Black Keys album. Can't get into either.

23. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

Based on the short audio sample on his instagram page (and the folks he is playing with), I expect the live stream will be a pretty traditional bluegrass set.
    I for one am very excited.

Davido likes this.
  24. Davido

Sounds like Sturgill is takin it back to basics if that's more your thing:

Boswell likes this.
  25. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've gotta say after two albums that I just loved this most recent has not sit well with me. I really don't listen to it.