Stylus cleaning advice.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wasabi, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I’ve been using Zerodust for over 8 years, IMHO it’s a very effective dust remover. I use mine by holding the Zerodust in my hand moving up against the cart from beneath. It’s very important not to have the tonearm in locked position in the arm rest so the arm is free to move in case I press the Onzow a little to hard upwards.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  2. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Lately, rather than the standard brush that seems ubiquitous, I've been using this one lately:
    https://thevinylpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/IMG_0293.jpg
    I re-discovered it when i was looking closely at a photo of my system from 1975 and trying to figure out where the **** I got it:
    https://thevinylpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/IMG_0249-2.jpg
    Turns out it was packed with the then hot-**** AT 20 something cartridge in the early '70s- one of the first Shibatas. Have no idea where the original went, but it turns out AT includes this brush with their top line cartridge, the one with the coils on the outside, near the stylus end of the cantilever. I got them to send me a few of the brushes as an industry thing. If there's a market for it, I can try to convince them to retail it or get someone else to make one- it's great because it not only dusts off the stylus tip, but cleans the cantilever and underbody of the cartridge.
    I'm getting old. I can't see as well close up and don't want to just swipe, so I have this pair of illuminated magnifying glasses I wear- I look like a total idiot-- to see what I'm doing. It really helps.

3. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Bill Hart likes this.
  4. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Guys!

I use the magic eraser for 10+ years with very good results.
    But dipping the stylus in it makes no sense to me. I gently move it from back to the front. I use it once a month.

I do also use the Nagaoka Cleaner, which I bought directly in Japan. I use it once a week.

And a standard soft brush after every side of a record.

I will also mention that I had a Grado Platinum Wood before. After 15+ years the damping material in the cardridge became stiff and I had to replace it, because nearly every record starts skipping...
    Probably that was due to the fact that I used a liquid cleaner before. And over time the fluid may have "creeped" onto the cantiliver into the body. Who knows? :rolleyes:

Bye Andrea

5. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Well, after 15 years of usage any cartridge I would think will need replacement or rebuild..

Optimize likes this.
  6. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Is this safe?

[​IMG]

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I sure hope so, because I use it. I dont’ think it should be used often, though. I’ve had my current stylus mounted about two months, and I think I have used the fluid twice since then. But if you actually have some build-up that dry brushing won’t get, this should be a safe product (especially for AT cartridges; they wouldn’t formulate a stylus cleaner that dissolves their own adhesive).

plastico, Andrea_Bellucci and DoF like this.
  8. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I used it once, it seems very strong. Not sure if it's safe for the diamond. On the other hand I use AT carts, so like you say there should be no problem. Thanks.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It does seem very strong, yes. I’m sure that’s why I’ve found it to be effective and have looked no further, but it definitely seems like a once-in-a-while cleaner, not every day.

Andrea_Bellucci and DoF like this.
  10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

How would that happen? I’ve been using on my Goldring with no issues :cheers:

11. Old Zorki II

How you know "the strength" of this solution in comparision with for example MoFi or LAST?

12. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

MoFi & Last are used on the LP & allowed to dry, the AT fluid is for the stylus, applied wet & then brushed off after a few seconds.

I have used this occasionally on AT styli for years & never encountered any damage, it removes the most stubborn residue that brushing alone doesn't.

13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Fine art camel hair brushes. Been using them for decades!

SandAndGlass and Tinian like this.
  14. Old Zorki II

I of course ment Mofi and LAST for stylus, and not the ones for records )

15. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

The issue with a cleaner like the AT is that 'if' it hurts the stylus...by the time you know this is it going to be too late. I too am curious about this product as i also own it, but have never used it on my Lyra. Too concerned to be willing to experiment. The Lyra fluid is what i use...and it is pretty gentle, but not that effective 'if'' there is baked on gunk! You do have to use the Lyra fluid fairly consistently in order to insure that this is not a factor.

Dreams266 likes this.
  16. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I have used the Enzow, but the my go to between sides is a 1/2 inch torn piece of magic eraser. I tear it so I have a slender edge. Then I cut it so that I can slide it back to front between the cut.
    Cheers, Doug

17. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

I recommend you stop. Its up to you. Damaged two stylii. The possibilities were discussed. Its not like it didnt play records but the brilliance was injured

18. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I don't understand, are pics of your process a possibility? Thanks

19. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I stopped using the Disceasherbrush a few years ago because I couldn't trust my arthritic hands anymore. Even when my hands were ok I never liked using it because of the dense stiff bristles. I now use a combination of this more pliant microfibre brush, Vinyl Passion Dust Buster polymer dip and 4 or 5 dips in the Magic Eraser every Saturday. :)

[​IMG]

20. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I slide the thin cut ME back to front, over the stylus so the sides of the stylus gets it. Two or three passes does it.
    Cheers, Doug

21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Thanks,I guess I'm still not visualizing what "thin cut" looks like. I just dip into a full block of ME. Wouldn't pulling ME, of any size or cut, over the stylus snag it? I'd like to try it but it worries me a bit.

Big Blue likes this.
  22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I wouldn’t do it...

23. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

Since it's so thin there is no danger of the stylus getting snagged. I wouldn't be doing this with a thicker piece! That would be dangerous!
    Cheers, Doug

24. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I agree with others who recommend an RCM.

In addition I recently purchased one of these:

Very impressed with the results.

25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m really not understanding how the dimensions of the ME have anything to do with the surface snagging the stylus. You are still dragging a porous surface across the stylus, no? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.