Stylus Odometer!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Boltman92124, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!! Thread Starter

2. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I was considering getting one, but I'm just going to stick with my manual counter.
    Cheers, Doug

Tullman, 33na3rd and JohnCarter17 like this.
  3. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I don't think I would have put the reset button where it could easily be pressed by mistake.

bever70 and JohnCarter17 like this.
  4. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

Especially when you had a couple of brew!
    Cheers, Doug

Boltman92124 likes this.
  5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I’ve done that with a pen on a notepad. Still cheaper, even if you add in my wife telling me I’m f’n nuts.

macster likes this.
  6. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

So, a timer?

glide likes this.
  7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I can’t handle the truth.

The FRiNgE and macster like this.
  8. Couldn’t you just use a stopwatch app on your phone, which is probably free?

bru87tr, recstar24 and GyroSE like this.
  9. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Forum Resident

Could I get a panel of gauges for my stylus? As much as a odometer, I'd like to see a speedometer, a tachometer, and a heat gauge.

The FRiNgE, Manimal, macster and 3 others like this.
  10. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I think I’d draw the line here too. At some point, it’s just too obsessive compulsive with vinyl. I’m bad enough as it is. I can’t imagine trying to remember whether or not I hit t he odometer to start with each play, particularly while drinking. . If I forget, should I artificially move it forward? The problems this introduces are infinite. And the benefit isn’t that big.

11. intensemojo

intensemojo Forum Resident

12. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

I guess if someone really wanted an odometer for their turntable, but if someone is -that- OCD about it, wouldn't it interfere with enjoying the music?

What about voltage gauges? And an option for manual or automatic tone-arm return? Maybe a MacPherson strut suspension on the deck's feet?
    Could even have a clutch to engage/disengage when you change speeds on the turntable between 33 and 45. Moonroof built into the dust cover...

macster and illinoisteve like this.
  13. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Forum Resident

Traction-Control and a skid plate would be good for playing some of those thrift shop records I buy.

showtaper and macster like this.
  14. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I think that it is no big deal, just keep it next to your tt, turn it on when you drop the arm and turn it off when you lift it of the record. It is very imprtant to keep trak of stylus playing time for both the cart performance and record wear

I have one of these on the way StylusTimer to keep track of the playing time for my new Te Kaitora Rua

15. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Maybe the other thing is that my styli never exceed the $300 mark. So I replace whenever I get that sneaking suspicion it’s time.

16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

It’s basically a kitchen timer.

If someone made something that was wireless. A device that could be placed on the spindle (and communicate wirelessly on movement) and interact with an app or timer wirelessly, so we didn’t have to remember to start/stop. This would be a thoughtless device.

I guarantee I would forget to start and stop at times with this kitchen timer.

bever70 likes this.
  17. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

gtimer for linux is free and can time many different styluses, equip break in times, etc., at the same time.

18. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

A timer built into something that goes over the spindle and can even optionally clamp, and starts/stops with rotation. And requires a paperclip to push a recessed button to reset.

File that patent my friend!

The FRiNgE, bever70 and bru87tr like this.
  19. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

From a design point, it's crap!

Chilli likes this.
  20. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Too much trouble to hit start/stop after each side of an LP you play. A crude method that I use is look at the hours my Audio Research Phonostage (PH7) has been on ( it is a button on the remote control) that keeps track of the vacuum tube usage and use that as a rough measure of my stylus playing time. Obviously, the time the phono preramp is on is going to be longer that the stylus playing time. When I get to the 1500 to 1800 hours I send my Dynavector XX2 MK II for rebuilding.

Big Blue likes this.
  21. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I'd be more into something like this if it were automated; e.g., an odometer like this that is on or off depending on tonearm position.

22. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

intensemojo likes this.
  23. Don Lindich

Don Lindich Active Member

Hello there, I am the guy who designed the product. You have to hold the reset button down for over three full seconds to reset it. An accidental push does not do anything.

It is available and shipping now if anyone is interested.

24. Don Lindich

You could, but it’s a lot of work to open up your phone every time you play a record, etc. I wanted to make something inexpensive enough to be an impulse purchase, that would do the job And could just sit next to your turntable.

It only records hours, it lets you know when it is operating, it remembers your hours when you change the battery, and it takes a deliberate three second hold of the reset button to reset it so you don’t reset it accidentally.

25. Don Lindich

If you put it next to your turntable on the left, and push start and stop with your left hand as you raise and lower the tonearm your right, it will quickly become part of your record playing routine and you won’t forget. At least it’s been that way it was for me when I did the testing.

You do have to operate it yourself, but it’s really not hard and it is simple, reliable, and just works. So for under $20 you can now know exactly how many hours are on your stylus, And I figure most people would rather know than not!

showtaper, Boltman92124 and 33na3rd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.