Stylus profile and non-fill on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hvbias, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have had defective records. I just call them defective records. If a record is warped, has a skip from the factory, jumps grooves, has bad sounding areas, I simply call it a defective record.

Maltman and zombiemodernist like this.
  2. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

So you'll hear the non-fill sound each time the needle enters the non-fill spot again for a number of cycles.
    My 'On The Beach (EU, 2016)' has a very audible, crackling sound at the beginning of Side 2, but short and only once.
    At the next cycle, the same spot it doesn't repeat.
    I can't see any defect with my naked eye nor with a micrscope.

Can non-fill be that once only ?

3. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Agreed, not much point to differentiating outside of returning the item. My post earlier was to prevent starting to mistake every “shhhh” sound on a record for a defect. This is pointless since that’s your standard surface noise.

No clue in that case. I would just go by the observation of your speakers sound like there’s huge static ripping sounds coming from them, then you have non-fill issues. I would say whenever I have heard the tearing sound, it usually has a distinct pearl pattern, and lasts at least a few rotations. Either way, if you’ve already done an RCM clean (and it’s not rubber cement from the sleeve) it’s in the surface and unfixable.

I’ll see if I can make a sloppy recording later on, but I have to agree with @SandAndGlass , a defect is a defect, and your tolerance of that defect is up to you.

awsop likes this.
  4. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

It's only one rotation. So probably it's some other kind of defect.
    Though it's a brand new record, I'll see if cleaning will make a difference. Good advice.

5. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Actually, for those interested this thread has great examples of non-fill visually and audibly. As you can hear, it's very obvious.

Tracey, tin ears and QQQ like this.
  6. TheClassical

TheClassical Forum Resident

I just picked up Gil Melle’s Patterns in Jazz on MMJ 45 and suspect I might be experiencing some non-fill. It’s similar to what’s been described here- a repeated noise, sort of like the tearing of a perforated piece of plastic, throughout song 1/side 1. By chance, did you have problems with this particular MMJ 45 title?

patient_ot likes this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic Thread Starter

This was one of the very earliest MM titles from 2007 or 2008 so I can't remember if this is one I had replaced for non-fill. The copy that I did keep did not have it.

I would ask in the big MM thread here. It's a great album (same with your avatar), I hope you're able to get it sorted out!

patient_ot likes this.
  8. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

The Blue Note 75th releases are known to be some of the worst pressings around for non-fill, stitching, smudges, etc. But my Shure SC35C with .6mm stylus makes those records play clean. It's a shame that Shure doesn't make these anymore but there are many still out there.

9. Vinyljunkie22

Vinyljunkie22 Forum Resident

Does Non-Fill ususally afflict each individual pressing randomly or the entire "batch" of an album?

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Depends.

11. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Non fill is random, if its on every pressing its not non fill, its a defect in the cut or plating.

Vinyljunkie22 likes this.
  12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I've found it on every pressing I exchanged but in random places but usually a particular side.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Maybe the fly stuck in your right speaker hates counterfeits? ;)

Leonthepro likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Might be that one side had cold stamps for a few batches, but if its in different places its not a cutting error at least.
    Im sure there are problem free copies.

15. Vinyljunkie22

Vinyljunkie22 Forum Resident

New Vinyl is getting so bad I'm going to start ordering 10 at a time and just keep playing them until I get a perfect one and then return the rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.