Stylus skewed?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Charile, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Charile

Charile Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I have purchased this cartridge for three months,
    Is it my installation error or anti-skating problem? but sound quality doesn't seem to be affected
    My stylus pressure and anti-skating are the same (1.85g), how to correct it Back? Thank you very much
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  2. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Was it like that new? Which alignment did you use for the Technics?

3. Charile

Yes, I bought it in August, only checked point AB and adjusted the azimuth

4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Well if it's been that way since you got it then nothing to worry about on your set up right? I probably would have returned it but since you've got the sound working well then no worries? Does it straighten out when it hits the LP?

Charile likes this.
  5. Charile

I remember it arrived not askew:cry::confused:

6. Charile

[​IMG]
    My cartridge is not mounted parallel to the headshell, could this be the reason?

7. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Indeed, it looks like the stylus/cantilever leans a bit to the pic's left. If your setting the stylus on the proper point while using the adjustment tool as shown in the last two pics, it appears as if the cart is a little off center. Even the headshell appears off.

I'd say this is due to the off centered stylus/cantilever.

I had a stylys/cantilever which was a bit off center, but not as much as those in these pics. When I used my adjustment tool I had no problem with a proper alignment. And when it played the stylus seemed to stay centered in the groove and it had a good sound.

Perhaps your stylus/cantilever is more rigid than mine, which apparently was flexible enough to compensate for the problem.

If this cart came this way, and this problem is such that you are unable achieve proper alignment I'd suggest you return it to the dealer or manufacturer. But first I'd contact the manufacturer. If it's still under warranty don't fool with it too much. That could void your warranty.

Good luck.

Charile likes this.
  8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

It is a little skewed, but with anti-skate it may play centered.

Lenny99 and Charile like this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Yea, that's a tough one. My first inclination would be to talk with Phasemation, especially with an expensive cartridge like that, but I don't imagine you went through an official dealer? If not, they have gotten very strict on distribution and won't honor warranty on any grey market purchases, even have a big notice on their home page now. I have seen that happen before after some use, happened to me on an inexpensive AT-740ML, but haven't had it happen on a more expensive LOMC cart.

I'd definitely back off anti-skate some and realign it more to the cantilever instead of the body. The type of alignment (is your protractor Baerwald?) won't cause it, so OK that offset angle is different from the Technics angle.

That's the same direction anti-skate would skew it.

Charile likes this.
  10. Charile

cheap protractor from china.
    Will it straighten if I use less anti-skating? According to its direction it should reduce anti-skating

11. Davey

No, I don't think it will straighten, not from my experience, but may not get any worse. Maybe check your anti-skate setting on a blank record side, I like it to behave like in my video below, this is with a similar MicroLine (MicroRidge) tip ...

Charile likes this.
  12. Charile

Oh no, but I'm still happy with the sound quality now, only worried about the long-term effects, just tried playing music and it seems straight? But can't shoot because of lighting issues

Davey likes this.
  13. Lenny99

Upon looking at the last pic, the cantilever/stylus looks as if it's coming out of the body vortd
    In this pic the cantilever looks like it is coming out if the body at the correct angle. It appears the body is not properly set in the housing. I'm referring to the housing which connects to the headshell.

If this is true, the big problem is the ability to properly align the cart.

Charile and Ingenieur like this.
  14. Davey

I don't know, the generator looks like it is pretty well centered in the body if you add a reference line, the cantilever definitely looks skewed, but the picture isn't perfectly aligned so difficult to say with 100% certainty :)

[​IMG]

Aftermath and Charile like this.
  15. Lenny99

Yes. Looking at the reference lines u appear to be correct. However, as u noted the pic may not be 100% accurate.

In any event, if the engine is out of line or the cantilever has somehiw shifted, I'd say look into contacting the company. See if a fix or return is possible.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Charile likes this.
  16. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

this ^^^

the entire motor assembly seems shifted left.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2022
    Aftermath and Charile like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Check warranty info. Return to manufacturer.

Charile likes this.
  18. Charile

My cartridge mount is not parallel to the headshell because it is not parallel to the line on the AB point protractor, is my understanding wrong?:doh:
    Please check the latest pictures, maybe there is something wrong with my installation
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Lenny99

Per my understanding, this is my procedure for aligning a cart:

1) I attach the cart to the headshell, but I just snug up the nuts so I cab move the cart around with little effort.

2) attach the headshell to the arm

3) I set my protractor over the spindle

4) I move the arm to the first point.

5) I set the stylus directly upon that point. I take much effort to see it is correctly positioned.

6) I look at the position of the cart per the lines on the protractor. The body of the cart should be in parallel to all the lines in every direction.

7) I make any adjustments to the cart to keep it parallel by gently moving the cart by hand. That is why I don't overnighten the nuts. Once I'm satisfied the cart is parallel, I recheck the position of the stylus per the point.

8) I keep following this procedure till the stylus is on the point, and the cart is parallel to the lines. This may take patience.

9) If your protractor has two points, I then move to the second and repeat the before mentioned procedures.

10) Once the stylys is on the second point and the cart parallel move the arm back to the first point. Be sure it still properly aligns to that point. If not make further adjustments.

11) continue in this manner till both points are properly aligned.

12) gently tighten the nuts. Not too much, but enough that the cart won't be easily moved out of alignment.

13) recheck both points.

Thus is what I do using a simple glass, two point protractor. It has worked well for me.

I know there are more accurate protractors which you may buy, and there maybe an easier procedures of which I an unaware.

If someone knows a better way I think they will respond.

Good luck.

Ingenieur and Charile like this.
  20. Charile

Thank you bro!!I'm going to reinstall my cartridge
    Thank you all

21. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

mine is canted a bit like yours. It's part of the alignment. The Technics offset is 22 deg(?) and the alignment is ~ 23.66

[​IMG]

Charile likes this.
  22. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Have a look at the very front (golden edge where the cantilever emerges from the motor). It appears that the cartridge motor is about 5 degrees anticlockwise out of square with the upper cartridge body. If you correct for this in a photo editing program, the golden edge where the cantilever emerges from the motor is visually perpendicular to the cantilever. I'd suggest align the cantilever to the parallel lines on your protractor, rather than the upper cartridge body. This should be perfect.

23. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

Yes - one should keep in mind that the difference between the offset angles is not the angle at which the cartridge sits on the headshell, though.
    By shifting the cartridge forward in the headshell (but keeping it squared), the offset angle is getting a little smaller. Vinylengine has a calculator for this: Overhang Shift Calculator - Vinyl Engine
    so the actual angle on the headshell should be 1.94°

24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I skewered a few styli while under the influence when I was younger many decades ago. :)

Charile likes this.
  25. fje99

fje99 Well-Known Member

align to cantilever not to cartridge body

Charile likes this.