Stylus vs Speaker & Receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Isamet, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident Thread Starter

If I decided to change the stylus of my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB from an Ortofon 2M red to 2M Blue, would I notice a big difference in the sound of my vinyl if the speakers are the same? Or would the speakers and my Receiver need to be upgraded as well in order for the stylus change to make a big difference?

2. Pretorius

Pretorius Forum Resident

Users report a significant upgrade from the red to blue. But be forewarned... a friend recently made the upgrade and was so impressed he immediately went to Bronze. He couldn't get enough of a good thing and now has a new Graham Slee preamp... slippery slope.

3. Isamet

Ha, just read a review of the bronze but since the cost is almost as much as my turntable, i'm not that sure i'm willing to invest the money. But so to answer my question, the stylus "can" make a big noticeable difference even with the same speakers/receiver?

4. Pretorius

Pretorius Forum Resident

Yes, stylus material and shape along with cantilever material can indeed improve tracking and detail. There is a point where your turntable or tonearm cannot take advantage of a better cartridge and this happened to me recently so I accidentally bought a new turntable... slippery slope. I think you should already have your new 2M Blue and be playing records instead of reading forums, don't you? :agree:

Isamet likes this.
  5. Isamet

I'm running out to get one now! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.